Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

good for you, so did, in this case history went our way

but it was as much luck as anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The luck is really just in the timing working out. I had about 3.5 years salary as a deposit too, saved over the previous 10 years, so that helped. If the timing didn't work out I would have emigrated. It really came down to a decision in 2012, stay and buy or move off somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Maybe its going to have a soft landing like the one we were supposed to have in 2008. ;)

• Administrators Posts: 53,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A rise in rates to 4% (which will take a while, if they ever go that high) will definitely impact new borrowing. But existing mortgage holders, barring some mass unemployment, will still find their mortgages pretty serviceable at this level thanks to the borrowing rules that have been in place. What will really take a hit in such a scenario is discretionary spending.

They did have a soft landing

That's the issue

Then even more growth for 15 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

its a wealthier country but New Zealand is less wealthy than Ireland yet houses are at least 30% more expensive

It is all about the income ratio

That's why it is there, to get to 400k borrowed you need to be on decent money so will be able to absorb any reasonable interest rate increases

That's why it's there

Is it more wealthy? Wages etc seemed lower than here, obviously currency fluctuates all over the shop

Mark my words, when the magic government money for housing charities is stopped there will be a massive crash in house prices below 500k

Wise words but why would this cause a drop in house prices?

If anything it would cause a rise

• Advertisement

Or do you mean if the local council etc stop buying social houses it would open up supply?

Which makes sense, but it won't stop

Currently the councils and housing charities are outbidding working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Big difference now is that most people are getting mortgages on fixed rates, in the tiger years everyone was on a variable rates (ECB + X) so hikes hurt a lot more than now I think.

Ironically I just posted out a letter to my bank this afternoon fixing for another 5 years, so case in point rate rises won't affect me for quite some time.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

But isnt it likely that higher rates will affect employment levels/demand too? What proportion of demand is coming from councils?

when it comes it will come quicker than expected. Governments making tough decisions to balance the book will cut the funding to the quangos

about half of all new builds in Dublin in private estates are being bought up by charities or the council. They are both funded by government funds not donations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Are the government/govt funded charities only buying new builds?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Lagging indicators. You will see it fall more in the coming months. Rates are shooting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Rates are already increasing ahead of the ECB rate rises in July.

Markets are expecting at least 0.75% rise from the ECB by the end of the year, which could well translate to an approx 1% rise for new borrowers and borrowers on variable rates.

Otherwise, I agree that it will take time for things to flush out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Those are probably trader uppers. Remember if you have your mortgage mostly paid off then you are only paying the difference between your sold house and your bought house. I know lots of people moving now because the place (usually nice apartments) where their house is has started to be flooded with rentals or social houses. I visited one last Christmas and you can definitely tell that the apartments around them have all been rented. Its like white flight in America all those years ago, but obviously not about colour. More about people getting away with being anti social and nothing for it but a move to a more expensive area.

• Advertisement

There was a story someone wrote on here a while ago about one of our famous economists (not McWilliams). The person knows them and said that they used to say that as an economist you make your name by saying the opppsite to what everyone else is saying. Eventually you will be right and look like a superstar. People forget all the times you were wrong and only remember that time. Its like people only remember winning bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Summer2020

If I listened to the so called experts on boards.ie such as propqueries etc I wouldn't have bought my first house in 2016, and wouldn't have sold and traded up in the middle of covid in 2020. It worked out better than I could have imagined. If you were take the advice on boards.ie you'd never buy a house as the next crash is always just around the corner supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Nowhere in my post am I giving advice. I just stated what I'd do and would assume anyone making a big decision like this would do their own research.

Ive a better one. I told all my friends not to buy because there was a crash coming from 2002 to 2007. They all ignored me. the crash came just as i predicted (for 5 years :)). I didnt buy. I was smug for probably a decade.

I still dont own a property. Ive been predicting a crash for about 6 or 7 years at this point.

What have I learned.

1 - I know nothing. I am just guessing and will be right by fluke eventually. Noone posting in a forum knows anything either. Its just fun banter like football or boxing talk in the pub.

2 - Anyone I know who bought even at the height of the boom is so much better off now than those who didnt. They are sitting in a house/apartment, out of the rent spiral and with a low mortgage over half finished. In another decade or so none of them will have a mortgage and i will be paying rent.

3 - even the ones who bought studios or 1 bed apartments are better off than i am at this point.

4 - I now firmly believe that you get out of the rent cycle the minute you can, even if its buying a 1 bed apartment with an extra hours commute. At least your destiny is in your hands.

5 - I have now watched each minister for housing make the whole thing worse every time. And each successive minister is a bigger tool than the last gobsh!te.

6 - When anyone trades up they are just paying the difference in the prices of where they are selling and where they are buying, so its easier than buying for the first time. All these 700k+ houses you see being bought are probably being bought by people selling a 500k or 600k house. There would be very few that expensive that are FTB bought.

they have a mandate to house people, that won't stop, they are buying up private housing because there is very little social housing

that wont stop

what difference does it make if they are trading up or buying from scratch

if they are trading up from a paid off mortgage then they will be limited in what they can borrow by their age and who say 20 years into a mortgage is in a position where they need to trade up from an apartment to a house or a smaller to a bigger one

they are still paying 750k for a basic enough gaff, well over 1 million when you factor in mortgage interest

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Perspective on someone looking around the market at the moment is that it's gone really, really barren in 2022.

I have a very limited scope of properties I'm looking at, but even late last year you'd expect 4-5 new properties to come on the market every week that were within this scope, even if I wasn't exactly interested.

Now, 2 a week would be a big number. Many weeks in 2022 have see none at all coming on the market. I'm half-thinking that the general constraint in supply is creating a deadlock of sorts in the market. I don't have my property up for sale. Why not? Because I have nowhere to go yet and I don't want to spend six months looking at a for sale sign outside only to have to take it down again when we don't find somewhere.

If everyone else is doing that too, then you have this situation where everyone is waiting for properties to come on the market before they'll put their own up.

Higher interest rates is a total wildcard that I have no idea what it might do to the market. If it reduces the amounts people can borrow, then it either puts downward pressure on prices, or it just shifts people down one "level", and cash buyers and investors move in to buy the more expensive properties - expensive properties might just leave the market altogether. Higher rates are not good for those at the bottom of the market though who are already stretching themselves to afford a small property miles from anywhere. If they get dumped out of the market, then rent demand just goes up.

This could be called a "correction" of sorts, but the demand is still high, so the prices are going to keep going up as long as the market can bear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I 3 bed house near me was bought new in 2020 for €490,000 it's on the market now and has an offer for €700,000... the world is fooked.

sure they are trading up from a 2 bed, tis grand

• Advertisement

plenty are putting their houses up for sale and then backing out when they can't find a place, they are serious about moving, know 3 different people locally

its no different from last year, not much different from 2019-2020 when covid made it very hard to move

There were say 70 houses for sale in an area with 70k people in it, same with rentals, 3 -4 pages in myhome, at one stage 7 4 bed properties in total

people aren't bidding up houses for the laugh like they were in 2007, if you need a home you have very few choices

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement