Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

Just read down the article. Apparently the WRC states that,"

He also noted that this behaviour “occurred during the period of Ramadan, which [he] as a practicing Muslim was observing” and was “largely similar” to the behaviour which had led to the informal meeting.

“Any reasonable employer would have tried to understand if the employee’s observance of Ramadan was causing a difficulty for him,” he added."

I would think you leave your religion at the door when you come into work and if fasting makes you hangry, then eat something.

Looks like us lads can now turn up to work, hungover, give dogs abuse to colleagues from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Who was the complainant?

Neither the complainant nor the firm have been named by the adjudicating officer in the case. The adjudicator found that the parties had “an expectation that they would not be named when the case commenced” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

...we have people taking prayer breaks on company's dime and disrupting teams and forcing them to schedule around this. And if you need to ask, it's the 5 times a day kind of prayer, obviously.

I'm wondering what has ye all so worked up about that case in relation to multiculturalism.

Just wondering because there is nothing in that article to indicate the complainant is/is not an Irish citizen. 

Does the disdain for multiculturalism encompass Islamophobia also or is it only specific religions? Is another thread needed for that topic?

Hypothetically speaking, would it be OK if the complainant was a Catholic foreign national? What about if they were a Fundamentalist Christian? Orthodox Christian?

• Advertisement

Isn't it interesting that while there are multiple foreign non Christian religions imported into the western world only one managed to get a word to designate its criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I would think you leave your religion at the door when you come into work and if fasting makes you hangry, then eat something.

Dunno where you got that impression from, but it’s not a requirement of any employer. In fact it’s permitted in equality legislation for employers to discriminate in favour of candidates who are of the same religion as themselves, such as schools.

Looks like us lads can now turn up to work, hungover, give dogs abuse to colleagues from now on

An employer still doesn’t have the right to dismiss you unfairly. That should have been obvious from the first line in the article -

A sales executive has been awarded over €329,000 for unfair dismissal after being sacked without a formal warning over bullying allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RYEL

Hey cordell if only one non christian religion gets a word to describe hatred and discrimination of that religion then what exactly is antisemitism?

Also the use of company dime is very much an americanism.

Interesting in a thread railing against imorting other cultures.

Cordell displaying the sort of victim mentality that Christians would rather not adopt -

3. Competing victimhoods and phobia inflation

There is a problem of competing victimhoods in our society, seen in frequent accusations of homophobia, Islamophobia, transphobia. Once we get into defining new ‘phobias’ we will never stop. Every minority group in the country will want a ‘phobia’ of their own, and some majority groups too.

These accusations sometimes have merit but are often used rather as tools to shut down debate.

As Christians, we do not want to participate in a competition for victim status nor do we want the government to encourage the adoption of a victim mentality. Victim mentalities allow people to see the world through a lens of deliberate, constant oppression, leading to a sense of helplessness and inaction. Clumsily-worded criticisms are perceived as personal attacks. Bad luck is perceived as systemic oppression. Rather than leading to determination to make things better, victim mentalities motivate and reward inaction and hypersensitivity.

https://christianconcern.com/comment/why-not-to-use-christophobia/

Interesting in a thread railing against imorting other cultures.

I can't recall a single post on this thread complaining about the introduction or influence of other western cultures. Considering the similarities that exist within them, there's never really a problem with integration, and assimilation often happens over time due to those very similarities.

The vast majority of concerns about the importing of other cultures refers to those cultures which are incredibly different to our own, or that of mainstream western culture (in particular the values and social norms of those cultures). If anything the concern is about foreign cultures that are resistant to meshing with western culture... and it is that lack of compatibility that is the concern.

• Advertisement

I hope that you are not misrepresenting my point on purpose: I'm not for more *phobia made up words (aren't them all made up?), I'm for less. I want everything to be fair game when it comes to criticism and even ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The odds are lower than the odds of me winning the lottery. And I don't play the lottery.

I’m not misrepresenting your point at all. You suggested it was interesting that only one religion gets it own word to designate it’s criticism. It’s because someone invented it, it’s not because Muslims asked for it.

That’s why I understood why you were making the point about atheistophobia, and why I pointed out that it’s indicative of your own victim mentality. There’s nothing stopping you being critical of Islam, there’s also no need to play the victim as if anyone is preventing you from criticising Islam, or any other religion for that matter.

So you made the wrong assumption about my views, I told you in no uncertain terms that your assumption is wrong yet you still carry on misrepresenting my views. If this is not arguing in bad faith I don't know what is.

I didn’t make the wrong assumption about your views. I know exactly what you’re saying, and I know exactly what you were driving at. My point is so what if anyone attempts to shut down a discussion by bandying about phobia this, phobia that, it’s not preventing you from expressing an opinion, is it?

Instead you decided to be just as ridiculous with the atheistophobia nonsense. That’s why I said you were playing the victim, because I never said any such thing. I pointed out that Christians generally want nothing to do with the *phobia nonsense, it’s not that they don’t have a designated word for anti-Christian sentiments.

It's also ignoring the realities of the behaviour of Muslims in regards to any or all criticism directed towards their faith. Western media is typically quite hesitant to criticise Islam. That was the case when Islamophobia was coined under the PC brigade in the US and elsewhere (even on boards), but it has been compounded by the riots/assaults over the Mohammad cartoons, the beheading of the teacher in France, and a wide range of other violent responses (and threats) when journalists and others have criticised Islam.

Muslims might, and I do mean might, not have asked for the term Islamophobia, but there is no other religion in the modern sense that has sought to stifle criticism to the degree that Islam has. Even the RCC hasn't reacted as harshly as Islam, even though, the RCC would have had more actual direct influence within Europe or the US to intervene, and promote a perspective of being victimised. And yet, it's clear that criticism and contempt (regardless of the validity of those feelings) has been running high for the last decade, with Christianity being virtually defenceless to satire or humour.

However, I sincerely doubt you're going to get any real acknowledgement of the special place that Islam has established within western culture. I'm always amazed at the lengths that certain posters go to excuse or rather, dismiss anything negative relating to Islam. It sure is interesting. Just as the lengths that certain posters go to misinterpret, then deny, and lastly deflect.. all to support a faith that they're not part of, and likely wouldn't tolerate them if it was dominant in Europe.

dismiss anything negative relating to Islam

LOL there are people bending over backwards to find positive aspects of the daylong fasting that prevents them from hydrating and taking any oral medicine (instead of calling it what is is, that is religiously motivated self harming) so yeah somehow it's our fault for victimizing ourselves or smth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It's a funny card to play too when the same peoples entire belief systems is based on "victims" and "oppressors". If they even get a sniff of the other side pointing out any harm caused to "non oppressed" groups, they are straight out repeating nonsense about us "wanting to be victims". Victomhood is power in their eyes, so the only victims can be their chosen victims.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Islam hasn’t any special place within Western culture though, whereas Christianity very much has a special place within Western culture. Christianity is so ingrained in Western culture that people don’t give it a second thought, whereas Islam which comes from a predominantly foreign culture, there are people who portray it as something to be feared on the basis of a few extremist nutters going off the reservation.

Generally speaking people don’t give Islam a second thought either, and that’s why it’s not that Western media is afraid to be critical of Islam, it’s that most people simply can’t relate to it, and on that basis it hardly lends itself to satire. Dara O’ Brian makes the same point, only better -

Christianity very much has a special place within Western culture.

• Magdalen Laundries
    • Paedo priests
    • Cover ups
    • Babies in septic tanks
    • Forced adoptions

"Special" place indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RYEL

So we are just going to ignore how American foreign policy downplays any criticism of Israeli aggression in palestine using antisemitism claims. Or how the isreali state uses antisemitism to negate criticism of its actions.

Because its only islam something something.....

Should we setup a new thread to dicuss the specifics of how we all hate Muslims?

Or should we talk about your bigger multicultural issues facing the state.

Eastern europeans make up the largest non national population in our prisons. Shouldn't we deal with the largest issue before worrying about Islam who make up less than 2% of all people in Ireland.

Absolutely any convicted non national should be deported immediately after serving the sentence, that is from the prison taken directly to the airport and I support any initiative to change the EU laws if needed. But as we saw with that one that doesn't even have the right to be here, this will never happen. Bleeding hearts will applaud it just like they applauded the amnesty of the illegals and because the criminal irish gene pool needs more diverse criminality it will be presented as a positive achievement.

As much as I despise religion, Christianity was part of the culture that developed the devices we are using now to have this debate. The other culture developed, what, I don't know, kebabs maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We can all play the selective framing game. Multiculturalism so far:

• Beheadings
    • Grooming gangs
    • Terrorism
    • FGM

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

A perfect example of a bottom of the barrel post

Still better than to bash your own culture using some bad deeds or a certain organization ignoring everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Don’t get me started on those vegetarians.

World War 2

The Holocaust

• Advertisement

Numerous cultural influences contributed to the development of the devices we are now using to have this discussion. Other cultures made all sorts of contributions to fields of study such as philosophy, science, literature, mathematics… where do you imagine algorithms originated from?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ibn_Musa_al-Khwarizmi

Though I’d never say no to a dirty kebab either tbh 😂

Advertisement