Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Except for the thousands of parents left with no choice but to send their child to a religious school.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Interesting that you use the phrase 'a school being catholic' in a supposedly secular country.

Beyond that my point stands. They ALL should be opt-in

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Different schools have different rules. Some schools have told parents to come and take their kids out if they don’t want them to partake in indoctrination.

Religion is supposed to be a mandatory part of every day in church primary schools.

But it’s not just the formal classes/ it is the prayers, the statues, the nativity play, the school masses- all intentionally excluding many students and families.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

odd that you find humour in child sex abuse but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

That happens in primary schools all over Galway too. I know one large school in Galway city that put the non-Catholics at a table outside in the corridor when the teacher was teaching the class communion stuff. They were all told to do their homework or whatever. Sometimes an SNA teacher would sit with them or mind them. And would you believe it, a parent complained that they were getting extra tuition so they were brought back into the classroom and told to colour or read instead.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The thread is about the catholic church. People often consider the issue of religion in schools as just about whether or not the school is catholic and I've seen many surprised by Educate Together schools also having religious curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The school being Catholic or not doesn't matter. Even in an Educate Together school, it's still opt out.

That's not true at all. ET schools do not have religious instruction. They have religious education where the pupils learn about all religions and none and are not taught that any of them are factually true or untrue. It's about learning what other people believe and don't believe and there's no harm in that.

If ETs did not offer religious education at all then the Dept of Education would cut off their funding. It is a legal requirement!

Most ETs provide religious instruction after hours but that is an arrangement with the local parish and is entirely voluntary. Many other schools have after-school activities taking place within them which some kids take part in and others go home. It's not part of the school day.

It could be Brand A, Brand B, Brand C, or Brand A+B+C. There is no means to select a school in this country at all that is secular.

ET schools are secular. There's just far too few of them.

So instead of being angry about it, my efforts are much better placed in discussing it with my son. Even though he is in a catholic school, there is very little catholicism actually going on other than the religious books being bias towards it. All the sacraments are outside of school hours. He is in 2nd class now and has never once seen a priest in the school.

That's great, but again be wary of extrapolating your experience to everyone else, there are some right horror stories on this site, Atheist Ireland, teachdontpreach.ie, etc... My kids' primary was mostly OK (by Irish standards) but there was one particular teacher who got snarky with the kids opting out and we had to have a word with the principal. That's not acceptable.

There are many other catholic schools which continue to spend considerable time during the school day doing sacramental preparation during the two years (out of 8 - so that's a quarter of their primary education significantly impacted by this)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well we can agree on that much at least and settle it there.

Not specifically my kids' school (apart from the Friday morning service, and one snarky teacher, already mentioned) but many other people have described experiences similar to that.

Many Irish atheists / agnostics also describe that their kids' school is tolerant of Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etc. but not people of no religion, especially those who grew up in Ireland and are assumed to be just "lapsed Catholics" "going through a phase" so their belief position is not respected in the way other non-Catholic beliefs are.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

I guess that with the Nr of new schools becoming operational, the Nr of 100% secular schools will increase, and so that particular issue will ease. But as to the increase in the nr of new schools "under construction" that's up to the Govt, and not the Catholic Church. The Govt promised that by 2030, there would be 400 new schools, all secular orientated. But like a lot of Govt plans, its seem's that cash is the problem. Be interesting to hold a referendum on the existing schools, and see just what kind of school the people want in their area.

Post edited by jmreire on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,098 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If someone goes to considerable effort to reply to me at length in a reasonable manner I think its good netiquette to reply. Even its falls into my law of "have the last word Charlie". 😉 To be pedantic I didn't say what (or who) I was done with.

The point was simple and its along the lines you've said. The church does things like operate as business or do charitable work, that aren't unique to being a church. But people are saying these are a negative. But they are simply a function of how an organization doing these things work. So its rather pointless observation. Other than everything the RC church does is bad due to association. But I'm not going back down that rabbit hole.

@jmreire There won't be any new schools built in your area unless the population is growing substantially.

Even if it is, the Dept of Education can just expand the existing religious schools, that's what they did in my area with no consultation whatsoever with parents.

The "divestment" process is a joke as Dept. Education has given it over to the church to run, all sorts of shenanigans going on, e.g.

Spread enough FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt), get 51% on a low turnout (due to the confusion) and then all change in that area is prevented. Meanwhile the parents of future pupils get no say at all.

It's simply not sustainable or justifiable to have 95% of primary schools run by a church and it has to substantially change instead of just being tinkered with at the edges.

It remind me more of those business (of such) rules what have so many ifs and buts, and exceptions as to make the original rule mostly redundant, or unnecessarily verbose and complex. So that every time its referred to. A load of qualifications to the rule are needed.

Yes. You said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

There's two aspects to this.

#1 There has been an increased in religious intensity in some parts of the education system (some schools) as the church declines.

#2 Some people obviously limited or no experience of schools. So these are what they think happens, not what actually happens. (or happened)

Cash isn’t the real problem though.

Religious bodies desperately clinging on to their last domain of control, because they know well that their future survival depends on the future supply of indoctrinated recruits is the real problem.

Get religion out of schools.

Except that implies that all Religious everywhere are corrupt pedophiles', and that's the only topic? Do you really believe that to be true? That pedophilia only applied to Religious? For sure children need to be taught about the dangers that certain adults can pose. I have no qualms whatsoever calling anyone out for what they are, be they Religious or Saville types et al. And do you believe that behavior is still going on the present day? The core of Religion is about God, and that's what should be taught, and let pupils make up their own minds about it, or else opt out completely.

If cash is not the problem then do you think that in a given school area, that the local population don't want change? Because, for sure if the local demand is there and in the majority, then I can't see why it's not happening.

It’s not happening for the same reason that the National Maternity Hospital isn’t happening- because the Church is clinging on to control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It doesn't imply anything about other religions, it is solely about Catholic church. I even mentioned it a number of times and its in the thread title. All that I mentioned in my post is 100% the catholic church (it may be the case in other religions but that is not the topic here.

The problem the church has is not that pedophiles existed within their ranks, they exist everywhere. I certainly don't blame the local priest for something that happens in another parish. But, the catholic church went to great lengths to cover up the abuse, moving priests around to new areas (and allowing them continued access to potential victims), coercing & intimidating victims to stay quiet, destroying evidence, refusing to cooperate with police investigations. So quite apart from the dangers of the adults themselves, if one is faced with the situation the catholic church has shown itself bereft of compassion and will instead do everything in its power to protect the abuser and the church itself. The victim is a secondary concern (if even that).

Do I believe it still goes on? I would like to think it doesn't, however the church has been found to be covering up so many times at this stage that it is very hard to not be cynical. Is that unfair on the good men and women in the church? Probably, but I would much rather be overcautious that lament my trust.

100% agree that the core of religion is god (well those religions that believe in God I suppose) but the Catholic church showed through their actions that the core of their religion is protection of the church itself rather than a thought of what God would do.

Ah, but the Pope IS infallible!

Our have they accepted that that's just arrogant bullshit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It's shocking how people just believe things with no independent thought or research.

Where is this reality you speak of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There no question that the moral order of not just Ireland, but the world, has collapsed along with the decline in religion in wealthier countries.

Of late people are seeing the necessity of worshiping God and the importance of the values He wants.

Courage, devotion to duty and concern for others rather than the material and personal, were all unfashionable even three years ago, but the shift is well underway in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

Never understood this need for some Catholics to want to hang onto every last vestige of Irish society they still have a stake in. Turning every school into a secular, religion free zone doesn't stop people practicing their faith. Those who truly believe and want to be part of a church will continue to do so. Those who were only fair weather catholic when it suits them types won't bother but what of it? At least those who remain will still be able to carry on as normal and possibly build a stronger church as a result. It's an odd old thing to be living in a very secular, socially liberal society where in the day to day scheme of things religion doesn't be on the radar then see this kind of debate rear its head again and again when it comes to hospitals and schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

The Catholic Church isn't falling, look at the land and buildings they control, the influence they have over successive Governments. Look at Weddings, Christenings and that's not to mention Communion/Confirmation season. Just a quick glance at RIP.ie and you will see the demand for church services for funerals. The Catholic Church is here to stay. There is a huge demand for all them services I listed. Some times the priests make it very difficult to access some services and seek compliance through courses and the people comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Moral order? You think Ireland was a better country to be female, or gay (just to name two of the church's main targets) 50 or 60 years ago? Or to be born "out of wedlock" as we so charmingly called it? (or just Bastard if we were being less so)

Which people? Churches are emptying. Vocations non-existent. Catholic weddings collapsing. Baptisms falling. Non-religion doubled in the last census and is certain to increase substantially again in this year's one. It's all in your head.

Nobody has any problem with people voluntarily enrolling their kids in religious instruction etc. The problem is the entitled attitude of this church's hierarchy and certain followers that they have the right to inflict this on everyone's kids whether their parents want it or not. Anyway, it's not helping arrest the rapid decline of their church, and getting many people's backs up into the bargain...

• Advertisement

Newsflash - most people who die are old. But even so, non-religious funerals are very much on the increase.

About 90% of weddings used to be catholic. It's now about 40% and you'd have to wonder how many of that 40% are for the nice photos outside the church, and/or to keep the mother-in-law happy.

Look at the land and buildings they control, indeed. Land banks worth potentially tens of billions in the Dublin diocese alone, much of it unused. When they realise their massive tax-free capital gains, what's going to happen to this money? Will it disappear into a black hole in the Vatican or will it be used for the benefit of the descendants of the generations who gave it in the first place?

Advertisement