Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

You can just buy one from ticketmaster, they're on general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

30,000 tickets sold in the first 24 hours. Good going. Would be great to see a good turnout for it. Would have been pretty happy with 35k given the short turnaround but we look well set to get that which is really positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's great! Hopefully they fill every seat. Are Toulouse assigned a certain amount of tickets? If they are and their tickets are not sold, do the remaining tickets revert to Leinster?

Saturday could be a classic, if the weather is good. I would be delighted if it's close to the standard of Munster/Toulouse. The stadium itself is a strange design. The one end that is towards the city center is so small and strange. That is a weird way to construct a stadium? I think the acoustics are affected by the design.

I was just going through the biographies of the Toulouse players. There are some serious big lads in the squad! One lad is listed at 140kgs and 2.03 in height. Feckin he'll. Lots of tempo and attacking space will be necessary to wear these boys down. We can win if we continously keep the action alive. Toulouse will look for breathers by faking Knocks and injury. Keep them moving and have them gasping for air. The extra 30 min v Munster may help us.

The other semi looks to be a cracker. I think La Rochelle will win. I hope the final is us v them!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Imagine ticketmaster have made almost €200,000 in fees already for the game, its scandalous they can charge €6.60 for e tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭letsbefair

Agree, not rocket science you’d think IRFU would build their own system. It’s the fan who pays so maybe they don’t care!

• Advertisement

Exactly, what would be in it for the IRFU other than expense in building and maintaining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Absolutely. People not really understanding the implications of an enormous ticketing system like that and using it as a stick to beat the IRFU with is strange.

Keeping it exclusively in house (assuming in house development also) will easily run into the millions when factoring in salary of senior devs, sys admins hosting, and maintenance. Not to mention they're a sporting organisation, not a technology company. So literally the first thing that will be decided is to outsource it. And who is going to front the cost of these? It will be factored in ticket sales (almost like a service charge......)

If you're outsourcing a system why pay for one to be built when there is a reputable one available world wide?

Ticketmaster are a product of a lack of competition. Not something the IRFU could solve.

Don't get me wrong, I really hate having to use Ticketmaster. But until something better comes along this is what the consumer and the organisers are stuck using.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I’m not saying irfu should build one, just tm ripping the piss with the charge per ticket so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think we can probably all agree that if satan himself has ever set up a company we’d be shocked if it wasn’t ticketmaster. They are an absolute stain on entertainment but have also managed to pretty much corner the market.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's not technological prowess that has Ticketmaster with a near monopoly on ticket sales. A ticketing system is relatively trivial to put in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Blut2

Ticketmaster's ticketing system isn't a trivial one though. Theres a big capability (and cost) difference for a system that can handle tens of thousands of users accessing it at once without crashing, a live interactive stadium map etc than a simple eventbrite ticketed gig for a nightclub.

If it was that easy, and cheap, to replicate you can be sure the IRFU and other sporting bodies wouldn't be outsourcing it when they could be creaming in the service fees themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I wonder how much money is syphoned away from the IRFU every year via Ticketbastard's services. 2 or 3 6Ns games every year. 3 Autumn Internationals. Frequent ERC k.o. games etc. It's got to be close to 1,000,000 on some years if not every year. How on Earth did we manage before that? It actually wasn't really that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"A ticketing system" maybe.

A ticketing system with the functionality and reliability of Ticketmaster - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

€1m? Keep going. Ticketmaster get more than just the service charge from events.

Any predictions for the score? I think it will be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The bookies usually aren't far wrong. I think I saw that they have Leinster by 9.

The thing about Toulouse is that they're a very fit team, capable of coming back from deficits and snatching games at the death. They showed this against Ulster and Munster, and they almost won the home game versus Ulster late on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,294 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The conventional wisdom is that they're not that fit and keeping the ball in play is a weakness for them. It might be that they have such a strong bench that they are a better team than almost any opposition when all the subs are made. That might explain why they're able to win games at the end.

Just heard something on OTB that genuinely annoyed me, talking about the Toulouse game this weekend Gilroy mentioned the allegedly 'rubbish' Toulouse team that Leinster played in the game where the ball hit the post which Toulouse pounced on to score. He actually used the word rubbish and obviously didn't know when that game was (it was in 2011).

But that rubbish Toulouse team:

Won the European cup in 09/10

Won the T14 in 10/11

Were the other half of one of the all time great European knockouts, the quality and pace that game was played at was absolutely off the charts. It is the best club level game I've ever seen I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bluedex

The only thing "rubbish" is the quality of rugby coverage on OTB, especially when it concerns Leinster. It also used to annoy me, but I've given up listening to it in the main - it's total garbage.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Joe Molloy is the only presenter worth listening to on OTB. Gilroy is the archetypal hot take slinger. Just wants a reaction even if his opinions makes him look foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

That was the best club match I have ever attended and was an absolutely cracking atmosphere for it too. Nonsense comment from OTB but not surprising from them sadly.

I was at the semi final the previous year where Leinster lost in Toulouse and that Toulouse team was ridiculously strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, think we can all agree the quality of the 2011 semi was unreal. (Was he maybe thinking of 2019? That toulouse team wasn't as good).

I've watched the 2011 edition a few times since, and knowing the result it is much easier to appreciate the shear quality of rugby being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think the implication was that Leinster were hot favourites in 2011 but Toulouse still ran us very close and thus being strong favourites this weekend isn't necessarily an indication of how it will pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The 2019 game was an odd one. They were coming back into some real form around then but almost looked like they were just glad to be there on the day. They had already beaten us in a cracking game in Toulouse in the pool stages and really disappointing in the SF. They certainly weren’t a rubbish team at the time though at all.

2011 was one of the best knock out games I’ve ever been to. An absolute belter of a game that was getting a lot of praise at the time after a really poor Champions League fixture the night before (don’t remember the details of that one). But Ger Gilroy…….not exactly a pundit of choice really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Good representation for Leinster in the Player of the Year nominations. It's very hard to choose between VDF or Doris. Both have been excellent for Ireland and Leinster this season. Might shade it towards Josh for his better Six Nations. But then again, Doris was voted best overall player for the Autumn Series. Both are world class though. Very lucky to have them.

Sheehan has also been nominated for Young Player of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Josh for me.

Kelleher for young.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think it's incredibly easy to pick between VDF and Doris for POTY for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Ditto.

I'm nowhere near the opinion tiresomely pedalled by 2 users that derailed the match thread that Doris isn't as good as others make out/ overrated/ can't catch a ball etc etc etc.

Doris is a phenomenal player whose been playing to a consistently excellent standard all year.

But Joshs performances have been several steps above that. I wouldn't have any other 7 in the world over him right now

I don't think Hansen played enough to be considered but I think he's a terrific player and that try against France was special.

VDF ahead of Doris for me but very close.

But I think Keenan to be honest. Absolute revelation, so consistent and probably the best fullback of the six nations.

Junior players all top drawer but Sheehan has to get it for starting in the Six Nations when Kelleher got injured.

• Advertisement

I'd go with VDF and Sheehan. VDF is playing unreal rugby.

I wasn't derailing the thread. Just opining that I don't rate Doris like some on here. It's a forum after all. You all can rate players however you like. I'll do the same without intending to butthurt anyone's feelings.

Advertisement