Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

The Irish Independent must be short on news this morning..🙂

Sorted by an OTA update...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Funny how they can class it a "recall" when no vehicles are required to be returned to address the issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The US are a lot more vigilant in the "recalls" and Tesla owners have good success in having updates or equipment mods done, here it's not mandatory and the Tesla way is leave it until it breaks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

There was a Teslarati article published about the need for updated recall terminologies back in Feb (noting this more applicable to the US as @slave1 posted).

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-ota-recalls-vs-nhtsa-terminologies-exclusive/

So notable is Tesla’s news coverage that a mainstream newsreader would likely get the impression that Teslas get recalls frequently. The opposite is true. As evidenced by Reuters in the graphic below, data from January 1, 2020, through February 17, 2022, shows that Tesla actually recalls its vehicles less frequently than some of the market’s leading automakers. Tesla is also the only carmaker performing a large share of its vehicle recalls through over-the-air software updates.

Considering that software-based fixes are only bound to get more widespread over the coming years, one must then ask the question: Should software-based over-the-air fixes be dubbed and classified with the same terminologies as physical recalls, which typically involve the replacement of vehicle hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Being a self-confessed Tesla fanboy, a techie and in the market for an EV, I've placed an order for a new Model 3 (RWD). I'm moving from an ICE to EV and really can't wait.

The delivery looks like February '23, which is a long wait, but it seems not excessive given the delays being experienced by all manufacturers due to supply chain issues.

I've done some research on the must have accessories, seems screen protector and floor mats are essential. Any other recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I believe floor mats come with all spec Model 3's now..

Screen proctector? Nah, I wouldn't bother.. you'll only ever be touching it with your fingers.. 2 years & 2 months in, it doesn't have a mark on it (and we have a 7 year old son who climbs all around the car.

A good microfibre cloth to give the screen a wipe every now and again is all I use, and it always comes up perfect.

I'd prioritise getting a puncture repair 'plug' kit, and a 12v compressor.

Congrats, as a new owner myself (March), don't think you will be disappointed. It's a great car, the tech is excellent.

I have a feeling that the wait will not be as long as anticipated, depends very much how Shanghai ramps up after their closure. There is talk of ships starting to move again. Also there may be some cancellations due to the hefty March price rise. And probably more in the near future, so well worth locking in the price.

The car comes with mats, the normal fabric ones. I find them ok, haven't bothered with fancier ones, don't really like the look of most of them. Also haven't bothered with screen protector. I have bought the two storage console accessory trays and aero wheel cap kit from Tesla, quality is good. From ali express bought a few bits such as tyre repair kit and pump.

Cheers for that. I read somewhere that the RWD didn't come with floor mats, which seems incredible for a 53k car! Great if they do come now as standard.

Regarding the screen protector, apart from providing some level of damage/scratch protection, the matte ones are also anti-glare. Seemingly glare can be an issue?

What is the situation with the sentry mode storage? I'm reading you get 128GB storage as standard. Is that sufficient or have people upgrading to a larger SSD drives?

You can get a bit of glare from the screen if the sun hits it the wrong way, but in fairness I've never really noticed it or been bothered too much by it. You'd need to be driving in a dead straight line at that bad sun angle for it to persist and get annoying... (and this is Ireland).

As for the sentry, the flash drive Tesla give will be just a generic cheap one with their logo on it, and as a general rule, flash drives are not ideal as dashcam cards as the constant writing/re-writing will eventually burn them out. When I got my car (no flash was provided), I bought a Samsung High Endurance microSD card & USB adaptor and over 2 years later is still going strong. Some folks have got SSD drives, but I think in the newer Model 3's, only the glovebox USB socket handles data, so not sure how clunky an SSD in the glovebox would be.

I would not bother with a screen protector, in two+ years driving an S and a 3 I've never had any issues and no glare worth talking about, the screen is very crisp so plenty of resolution to handle any glare, no scratches either.

I put a SSD into the glovebox thinking the USB stick was 64GB but now I read that post I realise I wasted my time as the SSD is 128GB, duh!

It's not clunkly at all and I do disconnect it from time to time to use a joypad for playing games, and it's just the Glovebox that is data enabled on current builds due to chip shortage

• Advertisement

Oh, 128gb is more than enough data storage for dashcam, only reason to increase size is to put lots of music onto it in place of Spotify/Tidal etc. High quality music files (.flac) are compatible but take up a lot more space than compressed MP3 files

Yeah the microSD card I have is only 128GB and it's plenty. I have a separate flash drive for music as mine is the pre-refresh Model 3 so I have the 2 data ports in the centre console.. though lately I've only been listening to Spotify & TuneIn, and haven't missed my own flash drive.. say only for my own stuff that's not on Spotify like mixes etc...

I did a test drive in the Model 3 RWD a couple of weeks ago and I was sold almost immediately. I also had a very short spin in a friends Model 3 Perf a good while ago, that really gave me the itch.

Yes, hoping delivery will be earlier this year and always the change of a cancellation too. I know the SEAI 5k grant is confirmed until end of this year, but no confirmation about the grant for 2023 as far as I know.

I was going to order the wheel cap kit also, although I'm not offended by the stock aero wheels.

Thanks.

Keep a watch out on inventory cars when the ships get about half way. They often give vins at that stage so any cancellations may show up in inventory. That's what I did, if not I may not have had a car until the next shipment at end of June or whenever.

I also quite like the aero wheel covers, think they make the wheels look a little bigger.

I don't know why there are so many put off by the aeros, the new style aero go great with the MSM IMHO, I took mine off to wax the alloys and apart from that they are permanently on

I took my aero's off there about 2 weeks ago for the first time since last summer.. I'm really 50/50 on them, don't mind them on or off..

Probably put them back on this weekend for the trip down to the charging wilderness that is the SouthEast..... that extra 5% might just come in handy!!

Come down the coast road ☺️. More scenic and loads of charging options..

I was certainly thinking the return route via the M11 might be needed if I don't get a charge down there....

There is a charger at a place we'll be going for a few hours, but not sure how reliable it is.. but if we get on that, it'd get us enough to perhaps make it back up to Kill Ionity.. or even home

Time is money though on Eurovision night!!!

Time is money though on Eurovision night!!!

I think I would prefer to be sitting on a 3kW charger in the rain...😁

• Advertisement

Did a bit of a touch up paint job on my alloy. Thanks @jusmeig for the link for the paint from Amazon, only took a few days to arrive.

Sorry for the largish pics, tried smaller but wasn't so clear. Before looked worse than pic, now is hard enough to detect. happy..

Before:

After:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Newoven

I've added a screen protector to my Model 3. No way of knowing if it's necessary but I feel better having it - that's a big and expensive tablet that could be damaged so I'm prepared to spend a few quid for some peace of mind. €50

I also bought a protective boot mat which as a golfer I think is a good idea. Now I'm happy to throw dirty trolley and clubs in as the mat is washable. €50

The storage bins for the armrest and other cubby hole are very useful also. Just €20 from Tesla which makes me wonder why they don't just throw them in or at least offer them as a quick purchase at the collection point. Without them the bins are very deep and not great for coins, pens and other small stuff.

I fitted four mudguards. The standard pair on the front aren't great and the extra long ones they included with the car are too long so I think this was worth doing. Very easy to install once you get the right socket set for the nut that holds the standard front ones on. Some of the Youtube videos don't mention these nuts so be aware they need to be opened. €22

I bought the frunk bag hooks but stupidly got the wrong ones as the mounting points have changed in the recent models. If anyone with an older M3 needs bag hooks you're welcome to them. €10

Finally I got a screw on grocery bag hook for the boot. It's a trivial item that again could be included by Tesla. It can be handy when carrying shopping bags as there are no tie down points or hooks in the boot. €5

I ordered aluminium-look pedals from Amazon but they've never arrived so I can't say if they are worth the trouble. Supply issues they say.... €15

EV Accessories in the UK for many of these, Tesla for the cubby inserts, Amazon for the other items. From other posts on this forum I believe the interior floor mats that have been included in recent times won't be included in future and the granny charge cable is also no longer included. I've never used my granny charger so I'm not sure if that's an issue but I'd rather have one just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Delboy33

Your touch up job looks great, don't even notice issue in second picture. I have not scrapped the wheels (yet!) but would like to source paint just in case. Can you resend the link to the paint just in case.

Yes, sure:

Comes with a bottle of clear lacquer as well. Haven't applied yet, will wait till paint fully dry tomorrow. Delivery was free, so didn't break the bank..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

This is what I’ve put into the M3P accessory wise.

1. Screw on hook for bags in the boot. The wife calls it my handbag holder. Ali express.
    2. Wireless charging mat that fits into the OEM holder. Not needed on the new cars.
    3. USB hub. It plugs into the centre console and hides the flash drive for dashcam and sentry. It then expands giving you additional ports for the wireless charging pads, music and another usb or usbc plug.
    4. I put a Matt screen protector on myself too.
    5. Auto opening struts for the boot. Again not needed on the newer cars with electric opening boot.
    6. Auto opening struts for the bonnet.
    7. Black CF emblems.
    8. Mudflaps (yet to be fitted).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

My pleasure! That's an excellent result. Did you sand it at all our just apply? U have shamed me into action, must do it this weekend.

Thanks, not quite as perfect as the photo suggests, but happy enough, don't notice it anymore. Didn't sand it, was thinking of it, but laziness took over! About 3 coats at hourly intervals, filled the abrasions quite well. Colour match to me looks 100%. About 5 mins total work..☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JOL1

No need to worry there is an Ionity fast charge at Circle K on the Dublin side of Gorey. Approx 8 chargers and always some free.

Advertisement