Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New handicap system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭OEP

It's not really a problem though - if people care enough about their handicap they'll be aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

If you were doing a General Play score the 6 would be correct wouldn't it? the 95% is just to Limit the advantage higher handicappers will have when playing a high slope rated course i think.

The slopes you are right on they are way off. I have seen a couple of course rated at 95, and its a handicap builders dream. Shoot your handicap every single time you play, so 36pts, and your handicap will just keep trending up as the slope is so low, and the course rating is low. And the course is not that easy, it has some seriously tough holes, but lack of bunkers and water hazards has the slope and course rating low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The 6 wouldn't be right. Basically saying that, under his PH a 5 would be a scratch, so rather than tap in for the 5, you pick up. But under you CH the 5 would actually be a net bogey, so worth a point (from a staleford perspective for simplicity). So when you put in the scratch you're allocated the net double against your CH rather than PH making it a 6.

That's crazy re slopes, don't think I've come across a single course yet with a slope lower than 113. What I have noticed is that a lot of links courses seem to have low relative slopes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Do Golf Ireland have the slopes listed somewhere on their website, can seem to find any link etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

*very few Americans I have played with play provisionals, they tend to drop where the ball was lost with one shot penalty

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭elbagarihno

All rated courses are available in the WHS Course Handicap Calculator on the Golf Ireland app, but I don't think they have that information available on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭CFG92

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I mean in terms of their final gross score (actually it doesn't matter if someone was in single figures or not, really), but someone might be credited with lets say an 80 gross, but realistically it would have been 77 if they'd actually tapped in the three times they missed short putts for halves and picked up and simply entered a loss on the score card. Probably not a massive issue, but definitely something to be aware of.

I meant the 6 would be correct for a pick up, but yea you would be tapping in if you had a shot on the hole i suppose.

yea links courses seem to be rated easier compared to longer Parkland courses. I guess its to do with more hazards, maybe length of rough doesn't come into it when they are doing the rating.

I'm not sure I agree with you or maybe im picking you up wrong? if they putt they pick up was for a nett double bogey to their CH then it doesn't matter if they pick up or tap it in, They are getting nett double on the WHS system?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I'm probably getting myself confused now ! 😀

What I mean is, lets say you have no shot on a hole, miss a short putt for par (and a half in V Par), and don't bother tapping in for a single bogey and just pick it up because its a loss in the competition. AFAIK you get the net double bogey on your gross score when you enter the loss or a 0 on the computer, whereas in reality you had a single bogey (albeit you didn't bother tapping it in), or if it was strokeplay you would have had a single bogey had you finished out. I'm not for a second suggesting that anyone get credit for a score they didn't finish out, just pointing out that if this was to happen 2 or 3 times in a round, as it could easily do, someone who didn't know to finish everything out would end up with a gross score a few shots higher than they "had". I realise that by not tapping in, "had" is probably the wrong word to use but you get the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lettuce97

Finally somebody gets the point I was making!

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117608892/#Comment_117608892

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I get what you are saying now. Vs Par would nearly need to be played as a stableford comp to avoid that.

And as an extension beyond that, it should be played like Stapleford vs your CH rather than you PH to get a 100% accurate reflection, for handicap calculation purposes

yea but then people will think they have 40 pts when they could have only 39, unless the computer flags it when they enter the card

Sorry, I didn't mean for calculating your score in a comp, was more around people being conscious of their CH from a handicap perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I think the reasoning behind the 95% makes sense, as it’s clear the higher slope ratings do benefit higher handicap players more.

Getting rid of it is a little drastic, especially when the problem is just poor education. I’m really surprised that so many golfers don’t understand the workings of WHS, it’s pretty simple and there is tonnes of online info but maybe GI need to up their game in communicating these type of idiosyncrasies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm not surprised people don't understand it. I'm just surprised that people who don't understand it still have such problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

im Not saying get rid of it as such. Totally agree it is there for a reason. But get rid of the reason. Ie come up with a better formula for calculating SD, HI, Slope etc.

even when people do understand it, they will still pick up. Some on purpose, some without thinking. What I’m saying about it being an American system which doesn’t work here is that the yank will stick himself in for the double instead of letting the computer stick him in for the net double!

this also goes for longer puts though, it’s not just a tap in for double, but the 5 or 10 footer. Which they just don’t bother having a go at

• Registered Users Posts: 36 twitpants

Just after rejoining a golf club after 17 years out of the game. 17 years ago I played off a handicap of 12. I put this info on my application form

I handed in 3 cards to be assessed, each card was around 100 shots. Just been given a WHS of 14. I was hoping for a handicap of 18

Would it be worth contacting the handicap sec or would I be best leaving it and getting the 20 cards handed in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

Just play. Your handicap will adjust itself. Hopefully you'll find that you play to 14 sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Your starting handicap has a -2 shot deduction until you have 7 cards submitted so you'll be off more than 14 once that happens, you can see the calculations here https://www.randa.org/en/whs-explaining-key-areas/key-areas/20-score-record; I went through the same process last year and went from 9 to 12 when the deductions were removed and then it gradually settled down when I had my 20 in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The 'hoping for a handicap of' thing is often a bad way of saying it. Your handicap should reflect in some way, your scorecards (if they were legit anyway)

By right, if you hand in 3x cards of 100 strokes on a 72 stroke course, you should be given a handicap of 18-20 probably. 14 shows the handicap secretary (or whomever decided) isn't doing their job properly imo.

I would have said they are doing it exactly right by erring on the lower side of things, taking into account the -2 deduction they've given him a 16 Hcap which is fair starting point IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Can you post your record here. We can tell what the handicap secretary has done easily

Around 100 is very vague especially considering only one round counts, so 94, 106, 108 will get a very different result to 99, 100, 101

Former will be about 4-5 shots lower and depends on blow outs you have had

• Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I would just go with it... you'll be able to pick and choose your own handicap in no time 🤣

They gave him a 14 Hcap though. 16 as a ‘starting point’ is beyond cautious and kinda unfair

At least the new system allows it to even out quickly

This is from the R & A site for WHS. From what I can tell based off his 3 rounds his score diff has been around 16, -2 adjustment brings that to 14 so they didn't give him a handicap of 14, the WHS system did. Once he has 5 cards in and assuming it stays around the same level he'll be off 16. If he continues to trend upwards then it'll eventually get to 18 pretty quickly if that is their level. Seems right to me.

Does it?

If he shot 28 over (if the course is 72 and he shot 100 in all rounds), his lowest is +28

Even with the adjustment it should be 16 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 36 twitpants

Just on the 'hoping for 18 handicap', I understand that doesn't sound great but I more meant I didn't want a handicap over 20

To provide more context to my question, 4 of us handed in scores at the same time, I'm player A and the course is par 71. 3 total scores below

Player A (previously off 12, last member of course 17 years ago): 114, 104, 103. Given WHS of 14

Player B (member of a different course for 1 year, never held handicap): 104, 108, 114. Given WHS of 18

Player C (never a member of a club previously): 113,112,101. Given WHS of 23

Player D (member of a club for 1 year, never held handicap) : 112,117, 125. Given WHS of 18

Ive put the past experience for each player as its the only difference I can see that I got a WHS of 14 and player B got 18

Thanks for all the comments, don't mind playing off 14, just trying to get an understanding of how the handicaps work

• Advertisement

So your lowest score is +32 and they put you off 14. That's way off imo. Should be 18 minimum but maybe even 20/21/22

Mentioning your old handicap shouldn't come into the equation imo as you haven't had a valid one for 17 years (you probably should've just not mentioned it! haha)

Advertisement