Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Dowling and Arthur Gourounlian expecting first baby.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I've often argued the "its not to be taken literally" as a defence for saying something. Never seems to hold water in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Really? Everything is literal to you and no phrase or idiom is acceptable?

Strange...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

"disrespectful to women" "Traditional" "accessory"

"'circus" "what gender will they give the child"

The comments in this thread aren't even slightly veiled as being anything but hurtful & disrespectful to Brian & Arthur

When you have to qualify statements with "Im not homophobic but" it's just providing an excuse to yourself to be very homophobic unfortunately.

Not sure the majority of the these comments would be acceptable in heterosexual thread on surrogacy-beyond comprehension why they are tolerated here?

Just remember when the child is "of age" to google himself and everything will still be available online for them to view-

Would you rather leave a positive or negative contribution on their life??

That's not what I said.

But, you're keen on the self confessed crusade calling out people in the Woke thread - for not being anti woke, but merely bigoted, or transphobic. When, really it's a matter of let's not take things too literal, when on can be allowed to be miffed at the stupid expression or tokenism

Well, I'm on my own crusade of calling out shite when I see it. And this we are pregnant is shite

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

By the time the child is "of age" growing up in the environment it's going to it will have such thick skin they will probably be a rhino! Sure by then they will more than likely legally be able to identify as one as well.

• Advertisement

@youngblood before you quote what I said, please read it first. It wasn't so detailed that someone could extrapolate it as being anything close to homophobic. The clue is in the sentence, "I'm not against same sex parenting". It's the stupid expression I dislike and it's used by both hetro and same sex couples

This isn't s woke issue and it isn't a social one so stay on topic and quit the veiled insults.

Is the phrase 'we're pregnant' the ONLY thing you're upset about - yes or no? If they said 'we're having a baby', would you be fine with it?

I have no intention of insulting you. If I did, you wouldn't be in any doubt. I have no need to insult you, i dont have any problem with you at all. I think we're being rather civil no?

To answer you second question, it's only the expression I've an issue with, their gender or sexual orientation is irrelevant to me, and none of my business. As you mentioned already, you'll find I've brought up this "we are pregnant" before in threads unrelated to this.

No idea. Can't go through a poster's old posts since the site relaunch.

Frankly, getting upset about a phrase and heading to the Internet is something I'd expect more from the woke crowd, but getting hard to tell the difference between woke and anti-woke these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Nah looking at the plonkers they will use this child for their media and will be into what they now term "digital child slavery."

Basically pimping your kids on social media and the likes for money.

They will no doubt be in competition with that other vacuous attention seeking slaphead Vogue for detergent ads and the like.

These two eejits, no more that all the other social media talentless creations should not ever be allowed procreate, they are lowering the IQ of humanity.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

You want to prevent some people from procreating, based on their (successful so far) career choice? That's pretty messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i actually feel sorry for the sister, imagine how hard it will be to hand over her child, and then be an aunty in his/her life, and the kid has a right to know who it's mam is in my opinion anyway, the most special person in most of our lives is our mother

Hmm.... forced sterilisation of undesirables.... wonder who else had that idea....

Oh, yeah - Godwin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Who's name goes on the birth certificate? It can't be BD and his fella, whilst omitting the mother? It can't be the mother and 2 father's. Who gets omitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One should be more concerned at the level of prurience into their lives and that they have such a desperate need to share it with anybody outside their family. It really does look like they are angling for an at home family shoot for a very large fee but it's the way of the world sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its not an ideal situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

In Irish Law, the woman who gives birth is considered the mother, and therefore her name goes on the birth certificate. The name of the father who provided the sample goes down on the birth certificate as the father.

They may have used an egg donor too, I'm not sure if that has been clarified. But this information is not required for the birth certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭maik3n

It was actually mentioned earlier in the thread, that it's apparently a donor egg, with one of the lads contributions.

The sister is just the vessel/womb for the embryo.

There were some developments in 2020 regarding same sex couples and birth certificates.

Mind you, from the above article the birth cert situation seems to only apply to same sex female couples?

Yes, they did use a donor egg.

Some of the comments on this thread are shameful. There is nothing weird about Brian's sister acting as a surrogate for her sibling. Stories of sisters and friends acting as surrogates for each other have been happening for years.

Why is it different in this case because the siblings are brother and sister? If Aoife was acting as a surrogate for one of their other five sisters would it receive this amount of negative commentary and personal attacks?

No it wouldn't. This thread is purely an attack on Brian and Arthur.

I don't know what kind of parents they'll be. No one knows what kind of parent they will be until they actually become one. Personally, I offer my congratulations to Brian and Arthur and I wish them all the best, and I think what Aoife is doing for them, is wonderful.

• Advertisement

Ohh how edgy, lets invoke Godwin's law. 🙄

Do you get extra brownie points for pointing that out?

You do know that lots of countries have had and continue to have sterilisation, some forced, some by offering incentives to people.

No I don't want morons procreating.

This is one of the problems with our modern world, we consider taking part in reality shows a career choice.

Being a celebrity for just appearing on reality tv is now a career choice.

God be with the days when in order to be a celebrity one had to be talented (acting/music/arts), achieve something in sports, in politics, in business, science, etc.

Now it is because someone gets their t**s out on telly, sleeps with someone famous or semi famous, eats some god awful shyte on tv or belittles themselves on tv for the viewing pleasure of other people.

And also it is time that someone pointed out the big elephant in the room, population.

Very few of the environmentalists, greens, the social media howlers ever seem to point out the fact that the earth's population explosion is causing problems and going to cause even more.

Some day we are going to have to start looking at population control.

So, you wish to prevent certain people from procreating based on your particular tastes? These guys are rich and are ideal candidates to have kids from the admittedly small amount I know about them.

What are your criteria to select who to stop from procreating? How do you propose to action it? In your ideal world.

Because it appears to me you have a problem with how the world works (fair enough, me too), but you want to force your world view on to everyone else. This seems really weird.

Ever hear the old joke about "you need to have a license to have a dog, but nothing to have a baby".

I don't care how rich someone is, I care if there are idiots or look like bad parents.

Sooner or later there will be controls on procreation.

Either that or everyone will be so educated and working so hard to put a roof over the heads like a lot of the Western world, that they can't be bothered or afford to have kids.

Pray tell us why they are ideal candidates to have kids ?

They are already hawking their kid for attention before it is even born.

To me that fooking sounds awful.

They are already engaging in what is now termed "digital child labour", before the kid is even born.

By the looks of it one can see them going down the road of that other vacuous waste of space Vogue whatever you call her, pimping their kids at every opportunity to earn a few quid.

Nothing edgy about pointing out the obvious. If you endorse Nazi ideals you're going to be compared to a Nazi.

Edgy sarcasm isn't going to change that.

So answer the question, how do YOU propose to decide who will be allowed to have children and what makes YOUR personal taste better than others?

I believe they have the potential to be good parents because they have the resources to afford raising a child, appear to have settled, reliable lives and are in a long term relationship together. This is from the very small knowledge I have of them.

Finally, and most importantly, they actually want to have and raise a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm concerned the child will be bullied at school...

...for having two Z List celebrities as parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

What makes you think they are rich?? Where is their money coming from??

From being a TV presenter, appearances on TV? Not 100% what your question is getting at? As I've said before, I'm not an expert on them. I just know Brian Dowling has been popping up on TV for years.

I can substitute 'financially secure' for rich if you prefer but I don't think it has an effect on the conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

He narrates a few ITV things and is a contestant the odd time. How much do you think you get paid for "popping" up on TV??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

He also has property in the UK and I think US, they bought their house in Kildare outright, so they seem to be doing ok with the popping up money.

Advertisement