Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downlight LED's burning out fast

Options
  • 11-05-2022 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me advice?

Our living room has 2 sets downlights on a dual dimmer switch.

About 3 years ago I switched the bulbs to LED ones, Phillips GU5.3's.

But they are all burning out, I was under the impression that these would last many years.

Is 3 year the normal life span or have I done something wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭niallb

Did you get the dimmable version of the bulb?

If not, that could be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Doesn't dimmer need to be changed for LED?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,113 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dimmer needs to be changed and you need to get LEDs that are dimmable and match that type of dimmer. Minefield compared to halogen.

Also I've never found a good GU5.3/MR16 12V LED - have always whipped out the transformer and put a new GU10 tail on, much better range of bulbs available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Thanks for the comments.

Did you get the dimmable version of the bulb? - No idea, I just bought a batch of them when I was going through my, lets cut energy consuption phase and swapped all the lights for LED's. So probably not.

The lights are never dimmed, should I just remove it and replace it with a switch?

@L1011 I may just do that and swap out the transformer 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The only thing I can think of at th minute are that Philips LED bulbs are sh1t. I've had several fail, including 2 from the same pack that lasted only a couple of hours each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,108 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

While doing that OP could buy smart bulbs & forget about a dimmer altogether. Tell Alexa or Google to dim the lights. That's the road I went down & never looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 69,113 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats what I've done as well to avoid having to faff with dimmers.

Definitely go to GU10 sockets / mains voltage as the range of bulbs is so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭niallb

When I changed mine about 8 years ago I put in Philips GU10s.

I swapped the dimmer for an ordinary switch when I was doing it but haven't lost a single bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've got to agree - I have Phillips LED GU10's and SES candles in a sitting room on dimmers for the last 8 or more years, all without a single failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Alkers

I had the same issue with the smaller low voltage LEDs before, swap to GU10 and should be a noted improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi Folks, another related downlight LED question. I have a pelment board over mirror in bathroom with 3 no. 12v LED's - the original 12v transformer lasted less than 6 months now the second one has died. Considering that it's a bathroom with related steam, dampness etc. would it be OK to bin the transformer and fit 220v LED ? I'm, obviously, not an electrician but something tells me it a big NO NO !

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Yes, if you do not need to dim the lighting then, I suggest, as others, swop your dimmer switch for a standard. Then , also , you do not need to buy dimmable versions of your LED lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Raven_k42

A related question if I can please. I'm looking to replace 3 x GU5.3 in a hallway with GU10 LEDs. They're controlled by a single switch. Before I start - could the transformers be wired in series or something ?. I'm happy doing 3 standalone transformer swaps - but any more complicated wiring and I will get a professional. I'm not an electrician but have replaced lights regularly.

Thanks, K

Advertisement