Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dr Ronan Glynn Resigning

2»

Comments

At the start yeah lockdown was fair enough because we didn't no any better then. Did it have to Go on until only a few months ago, I really don't think so.

Yeah of course the application is in the post

What is silly about my post Donald?

Don't no how many but they were particularly vocal and well known.

Don't have to read nonsense on twitter whippet, enough has been said about covid now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Don’t question anything about our leaders. They are doing a great job, you’re just racist/alt right/begrudger/anti vaxxer (insert your own insult) And people wonder why there is no accountability in this country. We don’t get it because we don’t demand it and we don’t demand it because deep down we’re all just cute hoors trying to pull the wool over everyone’s eyes and therefore actually quite admire these people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I doubt the conditions are better.He may not realise it but EY will likely demand more hours of him than the Dept as standard, and not just in emergencies as per the last few years.

I am guessing they backed a dump truck of money up to his door basically, although I am surprised he hasn't gone for Holohan's role (or maybe he did, and didn't get it). Doubt the pension conditions are better.

I suppose it is new opportunities mainly.I've worked (and do work) in State and semi state bodies, it would be quite regular for staff to jump from consultancies to the public body, and vice versa. It happens a lot.It doesn't always work out long term, when each realises the other isn't as great as it looked from over the fence, but can only learn that in hindsight.

I'll be happy to not have a clue who replaces either of those men in their posts.Ignorance of who our CMO is means no more covid restrictions as far as I am concerned, so I hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

NPHET is gone so your point is moot... Would those issues be outside the remit of the CMO/Deputy CMO? I'd think not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Major part of the reason people are leaving public service is because of the relentless abuse they get on places like Boards.ie.

Not popular to say it here obviously, but its for sure a factor.

You'll wonder then why the quality of public servants declines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The office of the CMO has nothing to do with the running of the HSE. The HSE's job is to administer the health system. The CMO's role is to advise the government on public health matters. If the HSE fu^ks up their responsibilities, the CMO isn't answerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

I think your vastly overestimating the influence Boards. ie has on the general publics thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If I were him, I'd be leaving too. Public figures (including civil servants) are now fodder for grand standing TDs in Oireachtas committees.

McSharry being the latest example of such behaviour.

Why would you be arsed facing such abuse when you can earn more, often with better T&C's in the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The poster said "places like boards.ie" and I would agree with them.

Why anyone would put themselves up to be thrown to the lions of twitter/ Facebook/ boards (and they're just the ones I know of) is a mystery to me - and for a fraction of the money available in the private sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Absolutely untrue .

Sweden's excess death rate has been tracked as 90 per 100k pop .

UK is 160 per 100k so maybe you read that in an English paper. The UK at 160 / 100k was in the top 10 worst countries in the world .

Truth is most of the Nordic countries apart from Sweden did so well... Denmark , Finland very low and Norway and Iceland had negative excess death rates .

Ireland (if you are interested) was among the best in Europe after the Nordics at 30 per 100k .

https://elifesciences.org/articles/69336

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No. He said he wasn't going for the job a while back . Would have been in line for it as deputised and very well qualified .

Too well qualified , really , young and in demand ... dead right to get out now and take a job with better money and a lot less hassle .

More power to him and wish him well . Always liked his manner and good sense and ability to explain in plain terms on the briefings .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well I always preferred him to Holohan anyway, although no rational reason for that.Good luck to him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Abuse on social media is no way to go about anything. You can be critical of these people without resorting to insults and name calling

So they get advice from the CMO and when that advice goes to crap the CMO isn't answerable? That's madness.

If I was advising a business and that business went to the wall or struggled, I'd be shot or sacked.

I no there's more to it but he was getting paid a savage pile of money for that advice.

Now if the advice wasn't taken on board then what's the point of paying somebody to give that advice and not use it.

• Advertisement

No. If you advised a business to expand more into the continental market, and a year later it failed because the floor managers were allowing people to come into work when pissed and there were a load of liability claims as a result, that wouldn't be anything to do with your strategic advice

CMO advises on public health policy. It is not responsible for the administration.

Do you have a job? Do you have any responsibilities in that job? Is the adviser to the CEO responsible if you make a mess of something?

CMO has no management or implementation role. They advise the government. The government then makes decisions. They can take that advice into consideration or they can ignore it. The HSE is then responsible for impementing and managing what the government decide. The CMO is two steps away from a failure of the HSE

So was Tony working for a private company or self employed or who was paying his wages?

Just trying to get a grasp at what all these guys do

CMO probably employed directly by the Department of Health. Definitely doesn't report to anyone in the HSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Oh spare us the whitewashing of the past 2 years. Every piece of "advice" was leaked to the press in advance. Sure wasn't Tony driving around Dublin at one point tweeting about people enjoying themselves outside? I recall guards in full riot gear marching down Grafton street pretty much at his behest.

What are you on about.

The claim was that Glynn was going to jump ship now because the HSE was in a mess and that he would somehow be held responsible for it's deficiencies

What is this whitewashing that you speak of and why is it relevant? You think that the CMO is responsible for the HSE? That is your ignorance of reality and not the truth. If the HSE fu^k up in their role, it is not the responsibility of the CMO.

Advertisement