Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

If you look on Midsummer.ie or Solartricity.ie, the installers pay roughly in VAT the website ex VAT price. So they get about a 20% discount. A larger installer would get higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yeah saying "change of topic" is kinda likely to get your post moved to where it is on topic lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

Got a quote from a listed installer on the sticky.

PV Modules: 6 No. 345 Watt Solar PV Panels. 1689mm x 996mm

- Solis Inverter: Single phase, Single string with Irish configuration

- Pitched roof mounting kit incl. retrofit kit, bracketing, clamps and remaining materials.

- MC4 Connectors, male & female

- 2-Pole DC Isolator switch - IP66/67

- 4-Pole AC Isolator switch - IP6/67

Cost 5900.

After grant is 4100.

I shall hold out.

After 10 feeler emails I sent out to multiple companies they were the only ones to respond with a quote.

1 responded stating they don't work my area and another reasoned they were full up.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Maybe companies are only pricing bigger jobs at the moment and covering areas closer to base

Anyone have a view on whether ja panels are any better/worse than black q cell panels?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bakka

I am getting JA solar panels as are a lot of other people using boards I see. Ja seem great. A tier one company with a great warranty. Please see:

JA Solar offers a 12-year product replacement warranty and a 30-year panel output warranty. Both of these warranty periods are longer than the industry standard (10 and 25 years, respectively), as well as those of solar panel manufacturer competitors like Q CELLS, Trina, and Panasonic, who typically only have a 10-year product warranty and 25-year performance warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

Yep. Think I'm a bit awkward.

Hipped roof.

Side has 1 velux window and faces east.

Rear has 1 velux and faces south.

But I also have a large shed with gable roof south facing.

Think they are only pricing for part of the house and not including the shed.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Barrak

Have put deposit down for installation in next two months. Went with 5KwH system (14 Suntech 405 panels) and went with a Huawei Hybrid Sun2000 inverter in case we add a battery in the next year or two. 7500e before grant. 5100e after grant. Hopefully just in time for micro generation announcement but not holding out too much hope for a decent rate-we'll see though!!

No Eddi as we already have solar thermal system in place and we already have a Zappi for our EV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

That's a good price, especially since the Huawei normally attracts a big premium.

Bear in mind that you can only add Huawei batteries though, the inverter doesn't play nice with other manufacturers

• Advertisement

Ya was happy with the quote, don't know much about that brand panel but they are tier one anyways and installer was happy with them. Re: batter down the line, I was 50:50 on getting one or not but impending car purchase meant money was tight so I said i'd see how it goes for 12 months anyways and then the option of the huawei battery down the line potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

LG batteries will work with Huawei inverters too. But also very expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

A panel being "Tier 1" has nothing to do with the quality of the actual panel. I know some install companies use the term as if it means they are the best panels but the term does not relate directly to the panel they are selling you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I'd say people are still following it. It's a fantastic thread and I'm following it with great interest. I received great advice and recommendations here, have received a few quotes and am currently saving for a system while learning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

As long as my comments create debate then its all good. Good bunch on here trying to help and long my it last

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I’ve been lurking here for ages, just waiting to get rewiring done before I can join the PV club and this forum is far and away the best source of information around. Also sadly one of the last useful bits of boards these days

Any particular concerns regarding the Suntech?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 staff1986

Hi all,

I'm hoping to jump into pv and got a quote today but having looked up how much I can buy components for individually I am wondering if I am paying over and above the going market rates:

8x400w Trina solar panels. huwai 3klt hybrid inverter S flex mounting system apparently the install couldn't be easier for the contractor due to nature of house. €7,600 incl vat. Before grant

No battey however can be added at later date.

I would normally get multiple quotes however finding it difficult to get them. Any indications of value for money would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

Solar as a service do that sized system for about €3600 afaik but are restricting installs to Dublin for now I think, but that price can be well beaten by shopping around. Did you check the companies listed here https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

I certainly believe that DIY is the cheapest option. Installers take their acceptable profit AND the grant.

If you know a sparks, then he (or her) might be able to register for a trade account, saving you about 20% on the retail prices.

You could also start out looking for panels and inverters on Adverts or Donedeal, for people upgrading systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superemote

Hi folks , paid a deposit with "Enniskillen" people early March. They say they will be installing week after next. That would be 11 weeks from deposit. They're having trouble supply chain wise with roof rails, also I would have to wait a little longer for the 5kw power drive batt so they offered me 5.1kw Dyness instead. Anyone know Dyness? Are they a good battery? Also what is a good price from them for extra panels on the day, JA 370W. They said they could up they inverter from 5kw to 6kw. Most of the panels will be east as it's a dormer house but that works ok as I have a 300 L Joule tank with 3kw immersion and the battery to charge

Original quote

16 PANELS 370 WATT 5.90 KW JA SOLAR

5KW HYBRID SOLIS INVERTER

5KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 11500 EUROS INC VAT 

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI

TOTAL 9100 EUROS

After haggle 8600

MINUS BATTERY option 1500 EUROS

This is a great forum. I will let you know how it all goes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I can confirm that roof rails supply issue. Having trouble sourcing both K2 and Renusol systems via midsummer.ie. Stuff is coming, but it's being gobbled up nearly as fast as it arrives. It's summer time, and with energy prices on a rise not seen since the 70's.....solar adoption is on a steep trajectory. Makes sense that the mounting systems would be under duress to meet demand like every other facet of the industry (panels, batteries etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

I've just put a deposit on a system that will be fitted in three week's time.

12 x 360 Watt panels (Hanwha Q.Peak DUO-G8 360 Black)

Solis Inverter

12 x Power Optimisers

1 x Eddi Power Diverter + Harvi

Van Der Valk Slate Pitched Roof Mounting System

+ All switchgear etc.

We've decided against batteries as recommended by all three suppliers we contacted as our age calculates out to us not recovering the outlay! Also, as any exported power is now sold to the grid instead of given away, it makes batteries harder to justify for us at our age.

It was an interesting few weeks sorting out the fit as all three suppliers backed out once they checked the house on Google Maps. All three said that because it was a Dormer, they could not do the job after all. The first stated immediately not possible. The second originally said yes, but changed their minds later, the third said no, but when I asked the reason why (as the house has lots of actual roofspace despite the dormer windows) they agreed to send an assessor round who took one look and said it was entirely possible to do. The moral of the story is; if you have a house that you think is possible to have panels fitted, but the supplier says no after looking on Google Maps, persevere and demand to know why!

However, we have opted for 'power optimisers'. The reason for this is because three panels will be located facing southeast whereas the other nine will be facing directly south, but one of these will be shaded by the chimney stack for the first few hours of the day. Without power optimisers, if one panel on the string only produces (eg) 50 Watts because of shading, it throttles the rest, with power optimisers the remaining panels produce their maximum possible output.

We've also done the right thing and gone for a Hybrid Inverter. Okay, its a bit mad as we're not going for batteries, but it makes the possibility of fitting batteries a plug-n-play option in the future for the next house occupants, or for us if prices come down (or a bargain comes our way).

As we have a relatively new oil boiler, we opted for the Eddi diverter as any extra power created can be pushed to the immersion tank. We have a dual element immersion (unused since fitted), so the Eddi can be wired to both elements.

Total cost for the system is €9600 less €2400 grant, a total of €7200 (including the cost of the post-fit BER assessment). Out of the three original quotes, this was the cheapest by a small margin on one and sizeable on the second. But frankly we're just happy the system can be fitted as the price of electricity is getting very silly now and this has to help reduce our bills.

We applied for the grant through SEAI and was accepted within the hour.

I hope the above helps someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

Hi. After contacting a dozen companies, I got one quote today. Has anyone an opinion on it please. I see my details are almost identical to a quote about 3 posts above from possibly the same company but my quote is 1000€ more expensive although he mentions that he agreed the price in early March and haggled a bit. I suppose its inflation kicking in.

my quote:

16 panels 370Watt 5.92kw JA Solar

5kw Solis Hybrid Inverter

5kw Dyness battery

Eddi Water Diverter

WiFi dongle

Price €12500 inv Vat

after Seai grant

Toral €10,100

My annual usage is approx 3000 units and my house is a semi detached with south facing front roof and garage attached.

Im thinking that 16 panels is too much for my usage and they must be covering every square inch of both garage and house roof. I was doing calculations and I was thinking that 10 or possibly 12 would fit on the main roof.

is 5.92kw overkill for my load?

any opinions on dyness batteries?

should I increase the inverter and/or battery to 6kw?

With 3000 units, I'd say (and it's rare that you'll hear a regular say this) that you could drop to 12 or 14 panels.

That said, you might be using 3000 units today, but considering the government have plans in place to ban all petrol/diesel cars by 2030, it's highly likely you'll have an EV on the driveway before too long. If you can afford to keep them on your roof, you'll find that it would be a wise move to "future proof" yourself there. You'll want those panels to help "fill the car" down the road or a heat pump The panels are the engine of the whole thing. Battery and inverter is fine as is. You might want to consider going to 6Kw inverter, it's about €150-200 more, but it's not a deal breaker there. What will happen is that you may "clip" your production to 5kw on a few days in summer, instead of 5.9Kw, but only for an hour or two at peak production.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

I had a company out giving me a quote for solar panels

How do you differentiate which solar panels to go with?

Are they all the same?

The solar panels in question were hyundai.

There are some (slight) differences in performance and/or longevity, but nothing that you should ever concern yourself over. I certainly didn't. At the end of the day you should pretty much always go for the best value quote you get. Yes, in theory (theory!) some particular panel might give you ~1% more production in brand "x" over brand "y", but consider.......if that "premium" panel is €500 more expensive.....is that a "win" when you could simply bang up another cheaper panel for €200 and give yourself 8-10% more power depending on how many panels you have installed

e.g. if you are going for 10 panels of the "premium" panels (marketing nonsense) then bang up 11 panels of your lower prices panels and that would give you 10% more. The math doesn't lie.

Any of the main brands are all good. Qcell, REC, Longi, Hyundai, etc. differences so small as to be not worth looking into.

Pretty much little or no difference. Certainly none are worth paying any form of premium for.

• Advertisement

Hi there, I sent you a pm there a couple of days back, thanks paul

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement