Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I was discussing the 'thread' brought in by mark. I was not discussing the Bailey case here.

Are you saying that party leaders have no redress blanch, because it sounds like you are.

Or are you trying to use this latest round of pedantry to pretend that no other politician has sued for defamation?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I am not aware of any other political party leader that has actually sued the national broadcaster for defamation in a way that appears to be a SLAPPs case.

I am aware that the closest analogy is to CJH who used the defamation laws against newspapers in that way - the article I posted backs that up.

As I have said from the start, every person has redress, but every attempt at redress deserves scrutiny, and in the case of a political party leader apparently attempting to silence the media, it requires serious scrutiny because of the potential damage to democracy.

You know all this, but you are engaged in the usual pedantry to try and find a way to excuse Mary-Lou and Sinn Fein, and attack their critics.

If you want honest debate, tell us what other political party leader has sued the national broadcaster and explain to us how her actions don't damage democracy. But you won't, instead it will be the usual ducking and diving and going after other posters rather than the issues. Not afraid to call that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

What had any of that got to do with newspapers being silenced, as you claimed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hi Brucie. As you are such a support of SLAPP type actions and litigious people's rights, I am sure that you are glad that the bould Jimmy was able to exercise said rights to keep his "alleged" crimes under wraps. Obviously, given that there was no conviction, and therefore no crime, these so-called victims never existed.

• Advertisement

You were campaigning against alledged victims exercising their rights. Jimmy would appreciate your support alright.

None of what I posted relate to papers afraid to publish. So your example was nonsense.

Now now now. None of this gaslighting Brucie. Is it not your position that you would support the bould Jimmy (who was never convicted) right to aggressively threaten defamation proceedings to anyone whenever there was a whiff of them publishing stories about his activities.

Given that Jimmy was the one threatening (or actually filing) defamation proceedings, you would consider him the real victim anyway?

Ya know, consistency and all

Scrutinise away, but you are seeing things that aren't there to see.

That'd be why you are supposing stuff.

Be consistent. You are here morning noon and night hounding MLMD, the alledged victim, for exercising her right. And off and on trying to compare her case to Jimmy Saville, who you would be defending from his alledged victims and accusing them if trying to silence Jimmy.

There, fixed that for you.

Now now now Brucie. As I said, none of the gaslighting. I thought the victim was the one bringing the defamation case? No? Like Mr Savile threatened, or attempted, to do.

Those meanie journalists trying to say naughty things about him and talking about alleged "victims" when it is clear that the bringer of the defamation case was the real victim.

Ya know, the way RTE discussed so-called victims on the still up radio interview? The one that we are told that a certain politicial person took exception to. Obviously, in their crooked reporting, they never mentioned that the real victim was the politician.

Any chance of consistency from ya?.....not holding me breath.

• Advertisement

Watch the aul hamstrings with all that gymnastics.

I'm consistent. MLMD is the alledged victim. You are attacking her even though we don't know the details.

If someone claimed to be an alledged victim you'd support their right to claim, yes or no? Would you hound them with no details on the case? Or is it just shinners you want rights curtailed for? Do you think the media should have standards and be held to account?

You can't play both sides Donnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Most don't believe MLMD is a victim here at all, because if that was the issue, she wouldn't have gone the route of using a SLAPPS following the lead of other members of SF.

I don't think we get to play the victim card by launching frivolous lawsuits all over the place, DOB wasn't a victim when he did the same (especially when the evidence for MLMD's case is all in the public domain and has been referenced as directly by the media as they can to avoid another SLAPPS on themselves).

But the hypocrisy here after catching up on the Leo thread is crazy, I firmly believe that a few posters don't care about their track record anymore with the amount of denying of their previous (easily referenced) opinions. Reminds me of Stath the estate agent (I think what Leo did was illegal just in case people think I'd pick "sides" like some sort of baby person).

'Most'?

Can you back that up or is this more made-up stuff and supposing?

She is the alledged victim in the case. You base not believing her on your made up details that suit your biases. You are welcome to that opinion, without knowing the details.

Being the alledged victim is a fact. Its not a discussion. 'Playing the victim card' is an off the wall thing to say. Again, is it only shinners or every alledged victim 'playing the victim card' before you know the details or the case is heard?

We know the details of the Leo case. He confessed. We can give opinions based on the facts in the public domain. There is absolutely no comparison. Also MLMD is suing, varadkar is under criminal investigation.

You quoted my post but avoided the content and questions completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭malk518

No other leader was defamed. Varadkar was called a leak by them,no case as he is a leak.

Yep, see the word alleged, you even use it yourself. Had MLMD gone through the normal channels, more may have believed it.

You also support Dennis O'Brien as an alleged victim as well though.

For a person who denies all reality on their previous opinions and snakes to whatever the pro SF position needs to be for a particular thread on a particular day, calling others up on "made-up stuff" is pretty inflammatory.

All the media believe it's a SLAPPS, there is very little disagreement here other than the 3 amigos. Short of a survey (likely being run by the media...) I'm going to stick with "most".

'All the media'?

I have only seen a handful even comment on it and not sure if I even seen one of them mention SLAPPS.

Go on Astro...you were making it up weren't you?

This is an interesting new tactic, amazing as it may be, but not everyone's credibility is in the toilet like yourself.

I'm sticking by "most", I will revise my opinion if the media is allowed run a survey to that effect (of course you can run one on boards, but that would entail having to engage with the evidence available, i.e. the Morning Ireland Mairia Cahill interview where she called out about sharing a stage with MLMD due to the vitriol directed at her by MLMD).

I have only seen a handful even comment on it

Are you still sticking to the line that you haven't listened to the evidence? Seems a lot of time to spend on something and not discussing but limit yourself to listening to the content available. Every major press organisation printed the story, every one of them notes the pattern of lawsuits coming from SF, a lot of them went further and called it out directly as trying to silence the media and every other news organisation also printed a reference to it in the media that went further, it has clearly got the backs up of the free press that they would link directly and reference other news organisations who are taking more of a direct stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, a very good analysis. It seems that Brucie considers Jimmy Saville to be an alleged victim.

Can you itemise the vitriol directed at Mairia Cahill by MLMD?

That would be interesting to see.

Writing a post every few hours really isn't 'a lot of my time' Astro. And you said 'most don't believe' you didn't specify the 'free' press. So if you can't back that up I'll take it you made it up. No biggie, you aren't the first poster on here who thinks they speak for the majority.

• Advertisement

Sure, in the public domain there is the shared messages from twitter that Mairia Cahill posted. We have the account of the meeting between MLMD and Maira Cahill, various publications, but here's one:

Mairia Cahill: 'I wasn't treated with respect in meeting with Mary Lou McDonald' - Independent.ie)

We have Mairia Cahill's account of why she didn't give evidence:

Mary Lou responding to Mairia Cahill:

Mary Lou McDonald on Twitter: "@mairiac31 the assertion in that blog is shameful and cruel and should not be posted anywhere by anyone." / Twitter

Slurring her directly and then later "apologising" for the distress caused but not the actions of SF:

Denying the cover up (and again later apologising of course):

As Maximus Decimus Meridius would say:

But yea, poor little Mary-Lou is the (alleged) victim in all this, suing left and right to keep everyone hushed.

But SF deny a 'cover-up' that is an unproven allegation.

And you still haven't shown any 'vitriol' (contesting the facts is NOT vitriol) directed at MC by MLMD.

This is going into a court, which will deal with facts, not hearsay and allegation Astro.

If this gets to court,those videos and many more will be presented

Ivan Yates suggesting that MLM was calling Maria Cahill a liar in the context of child abuse,rape of a woman and a question asked of Bríd Smith if she's happy sharing a stage with someone who stands over that?

You'd be forgiven for thinking that it's SF or MLM that might end up asking for RTÉ's Belfast sterling account details,not the other way round to deal with costs on losing

I said at the start, this episode looks to me like a mis step

As the alleged victim, surely you're throwing your support behind Mairia, to be consistent of course?

I also gave evidence of direct slurs against Mairia that were later apologised for (and luckily that's still in the public domain), which I would take as accepting there was vitriol directed against her.

But look, I've answered all the questions.

How about giving an opinion on whether the public domain evidence in question (Morning Ireland show) is defamation against MLMD? It could of course be something else, but let's eliminate that one, if we're discussing in good faith of course (and not just trolling a thread to shut down discussion).

But you haven't shown that MLMD 'directed those slurs' Astro. That was the claim you made. 'MLMD directed vitriol at MC'

Far as I can see, she didn't do it personally and she didn't direct anyone else to do it either, so claiming that she did leaves you open to litigation

Was MLMD right when she told MC "I reiterated to her that allegations of a criminal nature must be dealt with by the statutory authorities with responsibility for doing so," 

I think she was 100% correct in that. It was good advice that maybe MC didn't want to hear but again that won't hold any weight in a case.

You are comparing a libel/defamation case of a politician, where you don't know the details, to that of a serial abuser of children, were over decades he was reported to authorities who chose to do nothing, because you don't like the politician. The police don't need a news item to follow up on complaints made by the public. Your argument is both monstrous and twilight zone material. The hate runs deep.

Yep, because that's the term. Especially when the case hasn't even come up yet. Did you forget claiming she wasn't the alledged victim the other day? Switching things up to try another angle.

Yes, everyone has a right to bring a case. You are behind on this we've had Bailey, o'brien and even oj and Jimmy Savile brought up already. Strange bunch of lads out to hate on MLMD.

Correct yourself and stop making things up.

I don't support her claim. I don't know the details. I support her right and everyone's right to bring such action.

Martin, varadkar and Ryan? I've heard them called that.

I have absolutely no problem in saying that Saville had a right to redress if he felt he was defamed. Everybody has rights or nobody has, you cannot be selective.

What do you not get about that 'right' Donald and why are you trying to taunt people. Respecting everybody's rights is not the same as supporting them personally.

Stop making things up. Your comparison is embarrassing for you.

Do you support a persons right to sue?

If someone slandered you or your family in the media should you be allowed take legal action?

You have this issue with the law not MLMD, who you just hate it seems.

• Advertisement

You support Jimmy Saville not being sued. You said so the other day. I don't know how you can support attacking alleged victims before the case details are released. Only takes one juror like yourself to let people like Savile off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement