Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Agree with regards to choice. But you have to look beyond the German fanboyism as bmw as just about as good as primark currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I have never driven a flatbed.....are they the ultimate driving machines? LOL you are gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

everyone buying a new EV is beta testing a whole new software and propulsion system for the first time in 80 years. They pay their money and take their chance.

the list of issues we’ve seen even in this forum with all the EV makes and models is literally daily and endless - issues we aren’t reading about in the threads about brand new mass market ICE cars.

perspective.

I would tend to agree. We are still in the advanced stages of R&D IMO.

Its just to oppose certain poster who has not not shut up about finally BMW (Premium) Brand entering the EV market with the i4. The i3 was a better EV than the i4 as it was ground up designed instead of the "take the petrol" i4 and stick a battery in it approach. Was very interesting to see him turn the faults around and still try blame Poundland (although we have none of them here in Ireland, so not sure what the alternative would be) cars as worse off :)

Perspective is seeing all the previous posts from an individual putting the ultimate driving machine on a pedestal :)

Funny thing is, i've probably had more BMW's than any other brand and there's still 2 in my house (520d and 530e). I just don't think they are a "premium" brand as some poster claims every day in every single post.

The main motors forum is the same. Littered with problems. That's the thing with Forums, you only see the moaning. I've never started a thread to say i've driven my EV for 3 years without anything failing.

The main motors forum page 1 right now :

1. Audi A6 C6 (2008) 2.0 TFSI - check engine light
    2. recurring problem with old XC90 - advice on finding a diagnosis
    3. Lexus fuel leak
    4. Audi A5 Door Rattles
    5. Rear Shocks for Pol0
    6. Car cutting out and battery sign on dashboard
    7. It’ll be grand til the next NCT
    8. VW Golf MK5 Oil Pressure Light + Loud Noise

So you can see, i think the complaints about mass market produced ICE cars is very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

There's definitely a cost associated with the first gen of any car IMHO, even more so for something like a first gen of an EV.

Seems I've stepped into the middle of an ongoing feud here that I've no part of so it was not my intention to fan those flames in any way.

Is BMW Premium... It certainly positions itself that way, German engineering has a place of prestige historically but I don't think it stands up to that level of scrutiny nowadays when all the tech is made in China or the far East anyway. It's all down to personal preference in my opinion now.

What I will say is that having owned 10 BMWs this has been my worst experience by far, a mixture of some bad luck, maybe some unrealistic expectations (from me) and some appalling customer service.

The dealer after sales manager did call me since my last post, he was fair and reasonable, gave me an update and when they have a diagnosis I think we both have some potentially difficult decisions to make... Will see how that pans out in a few days but it'll very much depend on the diagnosis.

Small issue - suck it up.

Large issue with a lengthy timeline to resolution - gonna have to consider alternative solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Lol, I think I said it a few pages back - don’t fed the troll!

Sounds like a plan, hopefully nothing too problematic. I know your thinking a entire new battery? Not actually that big a job....just waiting on one is the issue. Get them to stick you in a nice 7 series while you wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's actually exactly what Tesla do. Get a free loaner car asap which is newer / better than your own. Drive it for free, go through all tolls for free and charge it for free as long as you have it. And people seem surprised Tesla owners are relaxed if / when their vehicles break down? 😁

Imagine if you bought a 5 year old BMW 316d from a BMW dealer. Two years later it broke down (still under warranty), will take 2-3 weeks to fix, but here's a 2 year old BMW 740iL V8 with a free petrol card. You can bring it back when you come to collect your fixed car, we'll call you when it's ready.

Nearly bought a BMW EV today, asking price €1000. Would have bought sight unseen but by the time someone give me the heads up and I responded immediately, it was already sold. I suspect very few people in this thread would know about it, but it was Damien Maguire's famous (in nerd circles) Red Arrow

• Advertisement

I know what you mean - I was referring to brand new ICE vehicles. Sure, there are some issues in the first few weeks some times, but almost everyone with an EV has a charging issue, or a screen restarting, or a random dashboard light that you clear by restarting the car like a smartphone etc etc.

im not defending ICE cars as better or indeed different, I’m just saying that the new car experience is pretty nailed down at this stage, 100 years on :)

(OMFFFG this new mobile version of Boards is unusable on iPhone if you’re a poster. It’s fine for reading. - jumping around all over the place while trying to type! FFS)

I'm not sure where you are getting this from sk8board, maybe from the recent VW ID cars, the Audi etrons and the Porsche Taycan and the BMWs? There were no such teasing issues on the overwhelming majority of EVs launched up to and over 10 years ago like the Leaf, BMW i3, Kia eSoul, Hyundai Ioniq, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Absolutely correct.

In fact even if you take ID cars the big ticket issues don't even stop you using the car most of the time. But are still unacceptable.

Part of the reason I'm actually in an EV in fact is that I was fed up of reading about various issues on ICE cars.

The big issue on the classic Ioniq was and is the 12 volt battery. Very annoying but a booster pack in the boot gets you going if car fails to start because of it.

A new 12 volt is an easy swop.

Now for the ICE cars.....

I was reading about "common issues" that cost thousands to fix.

Plus the fact that because EVs are so new people are much more likely to mention issues.

What I mean by that is that EVers are more likely to be on a forum or Facebook talking about their car (good and bad) then an ICE driver is.

Apol’s if I’m not being clear - I’m only referring to/comparing issues in the first few weeks/months of new-car ownership only, including recharging issues, public or otherwise.

However there’s a lot of teething issues as we move to that new means of propulsion, and early buyers of new EVs are the ones dealing with those teething issues - that’s all I was saying :)

I don’t personally buy an EV for environmental reasons, I buy one because it suits my range, budget and size requirements - the means of propulsion is immaterial to me.

the issue with the posters new i4 isn’t a surprise to any of us - not because it’s a BMW, but because it’s a new technology

There's nothing new about electric based propulsion or hybrids, they were around in the 19th (!) century. There is nothing new about the technology currently used either. The problems seem to be almost entirely where incumbent manufacturers struggle with software. The tech is new to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Just because I criticised the dreadful experience we had with Tesla and am happy with BMW, I get called a troll….

I am criticising a brand not any particular PERSON on this forum.

(at the risk of starting a Twitter-debate) …

I think you’re turning this into yet another Tesla v ‘the rest’ debate

its new tech to tesla too.

“Tesla has issued a total of 10 recall campaignsin 2022 covering 2.1 million vehicles, NHTSA said. That is the second highest number of vehicles recalled this year behind Ford Motor.”

Im not sure how many cars Tesla have manufactured in their history, but it would seem all recent models are affected by at least one. A lot of those recalls are s/w related too, thinks like blank screens in 140k 2022 cars (all models), or some issue or other with Track Mode on M3P.

In this particular Boardsie example, BMW have had electric tech in the i3 EV for about 8-10years. It’s not new to them.

Just to state it again - None of us woke up on Monday, opened Boards, and were aghast to hear someone had a problem with a brand new EV.

most people who spend a relatively high price on a pretty basic EV aren’t expecting to be beta testers.

i love EVs, love the tech, but (as a career-long software engineer) I don’t want to be a tester.

You of all people know Tesla have problems and still do....replacement battery packs are not unheard of, failure to charge is not unheard of even on brand new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Looks like BMW are going against what they have been doing up until now in using the same platform for electric, phev and combustion. The next 3 series will be electric only.

Tesla recalls are a bit hit and miss to what actually is a recall in the traditional sense. Most of them are OTA software updates to fix a bug.

The Track Mode example above is because when you are in track model in a model 3 performance, the screen display shows vehicle speed in numbers but does not specify mph or km/h.

Thats a very basic bug but does it warrant the term recall as the media put it?

Our 530e died last year. In the middle of a carpark. The gearbox decided it had had enough and shut down. No amount of resets, jumping etc could do anything.

Had to get the car to bmw, where they deleted the cars map and updated to a new software to fix the issue and everything was perfect again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

That's an unbelievably rosy picture of Tesla service in Ireland.

What about the owners who are waiting months, with new, undriveable Teslas?

Tried contacting them recently? They habitually ignore emails, calls, messages etc., unless it's regarding payment. They unilaterally push out service appointments week after week, with no consultation with the owner.

They no longer provide free "upgraded" loaners. I wouldn't consider a ropey, software locked, 4 year old Model S, in place of their brand new €70k+ Model 3 Performance, an upgrade though. It's Uber credits now. Very useful to non Dubs.

Tesla have a lot going for them but end users are more an annoyance for them it seems. That's fine & they can afford that business model for now. Let's not deify them though.

BMW - at least you can visit your dealer & something might get done, eventually.

Tesla - "use the app & pfo" 😀.

@Kramer - "That's an unbelievably rosy picture of Tesla service in Ireland.

What about the owners who are waiting months, with new, undriveable Teslas?"

They are all in newer / better loaner cars. Driving around for free. If not then they either didn't ask or they are incredible walkovers. I had a nicer loaner car every single time my car was in Sandyford for more than a few hours. Every single loaner was newer than my car, almost all of them were worth a lot more than my car. Where else do you get a €100k loaner for free when you bring in your 8 year old car that's still under manufacturers warranty? It would be BMW's worst nightmare, possibly their going bankrupt if they did that 😂

@Fitz II - "You of all people know Tesla have problems and still do....replacement battery packs are not unheard of, failure to charge is not unheard of even on brand new ones"

Of course. That's why I specifically didn't mention Tesla in the post that you quoted. Early Teslas were riddled with problems.

@sk8board - 'I think you’re turning this into yet another Tesla v ‘the rest’ debate'

Hardly. I own a Tesla but I would prefer to own a BMW. Can I be much clearer than that? I'm delighted that BMW is making a comeback in the area of electric cars, perhaps just in time after the diesel loving gobsh1te Krüger nearly managed to bring the company on a path to certain bankruptcy.

I do tell it as it is though, I'm not just a BMW fanboi sitting back and gobbling up everything the company throws at me like generations of sh1te diesels. When I could no longer get a petrol BMW, I went electric. I had to. Hope to get back into the fold soon, but BMW will have to make an electric car that is more than just brilliant to drive...

I bought an inventory car on 31st March. A 2020 M3P.

Collected it and highlighted some wheel scuffs and rear tail light lens condensation in the app.

Got an appointment for the 9th May so 5 weeks after pick up. But that date was given and never changed. I’m in a 2019 M3P now as a loner while my wheels are refurbed by them and the rear lens is replaced so they most definitely are still giving out loaners.

Uber credits are for people who don’t need a loaner. For example, I knew my fix would take a week (wheel refurb) so they offered to take it very early in April with no loaner but I needed a car so I choose to wait for the 9th May where I knew a loaner was available.

Last year I had a 2018 Model X P100DL when my 2014 Model S P85 was getting its battery replaced.

I bought a 2020 second hand car and they are treating it like a new sale. Wheel refurb, valet credits etc

I can’t ask fairer than that to be honest.

When the 530e crapped itself, Duffys took it in still under warranty and sent us on our way no loan car, no Uber or taxi home, see ya later. PFO basically

They do have a far suppose showroom than Tesla but that made no difference on the walk home 🤣

They still charged us too, even under warranty, they charged for a software update that’s technically not covered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

Found out my car is schedule to be built in week 21, we are in week 19 today so hopefully things will move on smoothly from here!! I managed to get a cancellation, so not everything exactly like I wanted but will get it a year earlier so can't complain too much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I wasn't aghast because you can drive out the door in a new car of ANY type and have it fail...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

That's a stroke of luck.

What's the spec on what you're getting now?

I hope your price is locked in to pre price rises

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

It’s portimao blue but has no packs on it. The only thing I will really miss are laser lights and comfort access. I’m gonna keep my other order though! But it’s a about 6-7k cheaper so it’s not all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

BMW has made logical business decisions given that it is a relatively low volume traditional car manufacturer. The current platform caters for all propulsion types so that it doesn't completely alienate its current user base while keeping production costs low with a common platform (despite the compromises involved). The current platform will serve the company all the way up to the 2030 cut-off for combustion engines by which time the next platform will have to be all-electric only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

If I were to place an order for an i4 this week, how likely is the dealer to lock in the current price for me (Ireland!)? What are people's experience on this here?

I have a call in with a dealer on this for a few days and waiting for an answer...

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisement