Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Sheehan has come from basically nowhere to be a nailed on in the Ireland 23. How can he not win it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Fiona Hayes on OTB said something about James Ryan being injured

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

JVDF all the way. Last year as well. When they announced the Lions' squad, I felt that he and RK had been unjustly left out. but Ronan was brought in mid-tour. Meanwhile, Josh has an attitude advantage - he just keeps getting better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

To be fair, at the time, 7 was a pretty stacked position. Tipuric, Watson and Curry were all probably justifiably ahead of him, and I felt he was poor during the ANC.

He’s been unbelievable since then, mind, and if there was a Lions squad this summer, he’d definitely be on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

He should have been brought when Tipuric got injured. Garland backed Curry who was really poor on the tour and Watson didn't live up to his 6 nations standard. VDF would have been a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This match was played in 2006 and is still the best I've ever watched. The weather was perfect and Leinster and Toulouse just attacked from everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bluedex

Likewise, was at both games and couldn't wait to get them back to Dublin after the SF in 2010. Both sides were seriously strong, that was the only KO game Leinster lost between 2009 and 2012.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I agree, for me this was the pinnacle of rugby so far in my lifetime, a truly sublime match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If Leinster re sign Ala'Alatoa, do they need IRFU approval? He's out of contract after next season. Iirc.

I think he's been a good signing. His presence gives Clarkson time to develop. He's also good around the field.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Interesting to see what they do post Ala'alatoa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Probably just extend Ala'alatoa.

Thomas Clarkson, Vakhtang Abdaladze and Temilolhwa Adewunmi Lasisi probably wouldn't be enough backing up Furlong, would it? Maybe one of them will have a breakout season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think Ala'alatoa is good for a contract extension next season. Potentially 1 or 2 years.

End of next season he will be 31 - a good age for a prop who could angle for a good bumper contract abroad in France.

But given we're guaranteed without Furlong during international windows for the next few years it's prudent to have a top level operator to step up in his absence due to injury or rest etc.

This top level operator may well be Vakh or Clarkson but I'm not seeing it happen next season.

Yeah a 2 year extension makes the most sense, but you never know he might look elsewhere.

I'd rate Vakh ahead of Clarkson at the moment, be interested to see if he can keep on progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

How does everyone see Saturday going? I'm cautiously predicting a Leinster win. I think the team has shored up certain deficiencies in their game which cost them in previous European defeats. Fielding the high ball has definitely improved and teams don't get easy metres from up and unders anymore. Leinsters counterattack and attack from phase play has definitely improved as well. Every player in the 15 has the handling ability to get the ball wide where there's space.

The biggest question mark remains around the set piece. The consensus is that if you can shade Leinster up front you'll beat them. I don't necessarily agree with that. Sometimes the opposition gets a nudge up front but that wasn't the winning of the game. In defeats to Saracens and La Rochelle, Leinster had plenty of chances to score, but couldn't capitalise because their set piece malfunctioned. Against Saracens a few years ago it was a scrum issue. Against La Rochelle we struggled at the lineout and the breakdown and ended up trying to run everything and getting swallowed up at the ruck.

When at full strength our attack and fielding is much better. I'm just not as confident at scrum or lineout. I think we've got enough to beat Toulouse, but we can't afford another set piece meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Leinster Rugby ‘A’ team to face Universities Selection (senior appearances in brackets):

15. Max O’Reilly (9)

14. Chris Cosgrave (2)

13. Daniel Hawkshaw(u20)

12. David Hawkshaw (11)

11. Rob Russell (4)

10. Charlie Tector(u20)

9. Ben Murphy

1. Michael Milne

2. Lee Barron (2)

3. Temi Lasisi (1)

4. Brian Deeny (2) CAPTAIN

5. Jack Dunne (20)

6. Diarmuid Mangan(u19)

7. Martin Moloney (7)

8. Seán O’Brien (3)

Replacements:

16. Tom Barry(u19)

17. Jack Boyle(u20)

18. Vakh Abdaladze (17)

19. Cormac Daly

20. Ryan Baird (36)

21. Daniel Leane(u19)

22. Michael Moloney(u20)

23. Sam Prendergast(u19)

24. Dylan O’Grady(u20)

25. Matthew Lynch(u19)

26. George Hadden(u19) (Reserve)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

When is that game on?

That would strongly suggest and unchanged 23 for Saturday...

Tomorrow.

Bodes well for Baird getting meaningful gametime before the end of the season but not for this weekend anyway

start versus Munster and see where he stands after that..

He must twinged something or other. So that could put Toner into the mix, or Murphy. I'd prefer Murphy. Baird had no luck lately!

I think Clarkson will progress over the next couple of seasons. He's a little small, imo. He's only 22? Plenty of time for him to develop. He's quality in open play, mobile and a good carrying player. Vakh is bigger but so injury prone.

I'd have kept Lasisi at loosehead. Leinster have a gaggle of tight heads that are impressive looking prospects. McGuire from the 20's. A big lad who's only going to grow bigger! He's 6ft 4in and 18 st, 4lbs. Then there's Pat McCarthy from Blackrock. Serious looking player and u18 Sparrow from Gonzaga. I think they all are good prospects.

Remember when we used to complain about the lack of tight heads?

Can't wait for the weekend. I wonder if Leo will follow the Munster game plan or will he try to implant a possession based game plan.

I think trying to keep the ball in play will wear down Toulouse. Maybe rain a bevy of contestable garryowens? It's tough to see what works. Ulster beat them and ran the close so, maybe their strategy should be used?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I wonder if Leo will follow the Munster game plan

Well they didn't win so I sincerely hope not. Leinster have played the same way for pretty much the whole season and no matter who has been on the field. Very quick rucks, everyone handling the ball, everything done at pace, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,294 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Whatever happens they want to whip the ball out of the scrum as quickly as possible. Munster twatted about with the ball and gave away penalties in a couppe of scrums they should have won.

If I were Toulouse, I'd be targeting the scrum as a penalty generator.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭durthacht

Do you mean Vakh or Clarkson? I thought TC struggled in South Africa, but I know he's still young.

• Advertisement

Rumour on LF that TOB has done a "serious knee injury" on Tuesday. I'll take rumours with a pinch of salt mind you.

Huge disappointment if true though for the kid as he was definitely there on merit in the strongest 23.

If he managed to get some solid performances in knock out rugby games he could be knocking on the door for the standby list to New Zealand.

Presume Frawley to 23 shirt assuming Tommy is indeed out

Advertisement