Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension Age related limits and Employer Contributions

• 11-05-2022 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I have searched revenue.ie but I am unable to get a definitive answer on if employer contributions to a Defined Contribution pension scheme count towards the age related limit for pension contributions for a PAYE worker.

I am about to start a job with an Irish company. I am between 40 and 50 years old so my contribution limit into my pension is 25% based on what I have found.

My future employer is willing to pay 10% into my pension. Does this mean that the limit I can contribute is 15% (25% limit - 10% employer contribution = 15% I can contribute before I reach the limit)

Or

Does the employer contribution not count towards the 25% limit, and this means I can contribute 25% on top of the 10% my employer is willing to contribute?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CP05

Yes 15%, if it's a prsa

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Happyhouse22

The answer is that it depends on the type of pension.

If it is an occupational pension (probably) then the employer contribution does not count towards the limit and you can contribute 25% on top of the employer contribution.

However if it is a PRSA then the employer contribution does count - and you will only be allowed contribute another 15%.

Most big companies offer an occupational scheme but some may only offer a PRSA - the best way to find out which yours is to just ask the pensions operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Higgsy

Advertisement