Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangs of London - Sky Atlantic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Danish Special Forces apparently.

Cos they are world famous.

I have a rough idea where this is going in the last few episodes from what I have read on this thread, I am guessing an Illuminati type organisation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Finished it last night. It was clear from the get go that this was gonna be more Sons of Anarchy than The Sopranos but thats ok, ott ultraviolence and nonsensical plots are grand once they know what they are trying to achieve. For me this strikes the right balance of silliness and enjoyment. It's an 80s Arnie action movie dressed up in a fancy suit, no more no less.

I actually stuck it out, watched it to the end to see how it went.

It was ok, maybe a 6/10 but some things confused me at the end.

I get the fact that the 2 in the car are the
    investors or reps of them, the all powerful, 'bigger than the gangs' folk.

But who exactly were the
    2 guys at the end beating on Elliott
    ?

I was glad to see
    the end of the Sean character.
    I am not a fan of that actor and I think he was too lightweight for the role.

And no surprise
    Marion is still alive and kicking,
    in a show where people can take 100 bullets and still attack you.

Not sure if I'll even start Season 2 when it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,677 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Watched it, found it ok but the storyline was a bit all over the shop. Lovely violence and for that alone I'll be very generous and I'll give it a 7 out of 10. How it got well over 8 on IMDB is beyond me though.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    But who exactly were the
    2 guys at the end beating on Elliott
    ?

MI5/MI6/anti-terrorist or something even less official (hence the torture) but deffo a UK government agency :D

It was just a little bit cartoonish at times, and this ruined it for me.

Example, at the end, the massive guy beating on Elliott, no matter how big or strong he was, when he slide him and the chair up the wall with one arm, I did an eye-roll!

If they toned down the violence a bit too, it would make the show better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,677 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NIMAN wrote: »
    It was just a little bit cartoonish at times, and this ruined it for me.

Example, at the end, the massive guy beating on Elliott, no matter how big or strong he was, when he slide him and the chair up the wall with one arm, I did an eye-roll!

If they toned down the violence a bit too, it would make the show better.

It was a nod I'd say to The Punisher, which in itself was exactly like you describe too. And produced by Marvel. Say no more.

MV5BMTExODIwOTUxNzFeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDE5MDA0MTcz._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Thought it started off well but there was a lot of utter ****e in there aswell, particularly the finale

Joe Cole was about as intimidating as Mary Poppins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

NDWC wrote: »
    Thought it started off well but there was a lot of utter ****e in there aswell, particularly the finale

Joe Cole was about as intimidating as Mary Poppins

You obviously haven't met Mary when she hasn't taken her spoon full of sugar. Pure wagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just finished it. I went in expecting a compelling gangster drama. Instead it was clear from the pub fight in the first episode it was going to be ultra violent nonsense story. I enjoyed it all the same and didn't read too much into the plotholes and poor characterisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched episode 5....fecking hell!
    You can tell it was directed by Gareth Evans!

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Just watched episode 5....fecking hell!
    You can tell it was directed by Gareth Evans!

express elevator to muckville from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

glasso wrote: »
    express elevator to muckville from there.

ahhhh pi$$ off:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Homelander

ahhhh pi$$ off:)

Totally true though. It never gains any sort of proper momentum after that episode and just fumbles its way to the finish line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Yea I couldnt wait for this to end. It really limped on after such an excellent episode 5.

I will probably still watch a second series though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,292 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Got to episode 5, and think I'm going to check out.

Cannot warm to any of the characters, and I'm convinced that the producers of this series got their ideas for the action scenes from watching episodes of Itchy & Scratchy.

surprised that this muck is being renewed.

the only interesting character was the mad-looking Albanian head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I thought the pikey was the best character, was hoping he would have survived longer.

Agree it was far fetched but the action scenes were some of the best I've seen and didn't think Shannon had it in her to be a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I was raving about this show after the first 5 episodes. I thought it was bloody fantastic. Jumped out my chair when the pikey fell forward onto the meat cleaver

After Episode 5 it entirely fizzled out. The storyline about the investors was weak and I just wanted to finish out the season and it was a grind to do that

A season of two halves realy :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The main character was awful in this agreed, and not a fan of him either in peaky blinders. But he is excellent in the episode of black mirror he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

siblers wrote: »
    I don't understand Sean's accent. He has this very posh accent that is totally out of place with the rest of his family

Its very jarring

I assumed he would have went to Westminster College or some public school like that given how much money the Da had.
    I watched 3 episodes, it takes itself a bit too seriously I think, but reading this thread makes me want to watch a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

CastorTroy wrote: »

Thats quite disappointing to hear. The show started off strong, but the plot turned into a bit of a mess towards the end. The only consistently entertaining thing was the action direction/chorography, which I think he was mostly responsible for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thats quite disappointing to hear. The show started off strong, but the plot turned into a bit of a mess towards the end. The only consistently entertaining thing was the action direction/chorography, which I think he was mostly responsible for.

My exact thinking. S2 not looking promising at all now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

A very stupid series but a few enjoyable moments. As others have said, i huge nosedive after episode 5.

Eastenders with extra violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teaser for season 2

Season2 will be set one year after the events of season 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Shocked that they are actually going ahead with season 2 of this muck.

Is Joe "The Plank" Cole back to add extra woodenness to proceedings?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭markw7

The episodes directed by Gareth Evans had some great set pieces and cinematography, but the rest was a convaluted mess.

Cole has got to be one of the least convincing actors to get regular work, "plank" is an understatement. Sope Dirisu (Elliot) was absolute shite as well. Not a chance I'll give this slop a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It started off ok, and episode 5 in the house in the country was actually amazing tv. But then after that it went downhill big time.

Advertisement