Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnancy Discrimination - job application

• 11-05-2022 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Last February I went for a job application in the company that I work for. I feel I was feel best candidate for the job based on various factors. I was told I did not get the job and I know the candidate who got the job is not up to scratch. Both myself and the other candidate have worked for this company for a number of years and we were known. I was just over half way through a pregnancy and suffering badly with various symptom's when I interviewed. I raised an informal grievance and I was told sorry, and we did not know you were pregnant so it did not factor. I am contemplating raise an official grievance as I feel badly wronged on this matter. I do intend to talk to a solicitor on the matter. I am just wondering if the grievance process is worth pursuing and is it difficult to prove this type of discrimination. I asked my obstetrician and he said it would be evident I was pregnant at the time of the interview as I was seeing him regularly (I was private and high risk). I am very upset over this, but maybe I should just forget and get over it. Btw, I am not trying to chase compensation here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

You seem to be admitting that you did a poor interview and as you had not informed them of your pregnancy at that point, it is most likely the poor interview lost it for you and they were unable to make allowances due to your pregnancy as they did not know about it.

There are many other qualities a company may want for a particular position, and also the other candidate may have done an excellent interview.

I certainly would not be making accusations that another candidate was "not up to scratch" - that never ends well.

Going the legal route is fraught with danger unless you fell you have a phenomenally good case - and saying that they "would have known i was pregnant" will not cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

Hi Macvin, ok, best not to pursue it then I am guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Go ahead and raise that grievance by all means. Judging by your own comment you have nothing to base this claim on and it will backfire, so enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

It’s very disappointing. They’re going to insist that they couldn’t possibly have known that you were pregnant. Sometimes I’m quite sure that what’s meant for us won’t pass us by. You’ll get the job you want when you’re in the right place in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

I don’t think pregnancy was an issue in this case from what you have described. If they didn’t wanna someone who is pregnant they might not even choose to interview you.

how many candidates they had in total? Not just the 2 of you?

• Advertisement

I think you're looking at this wrong.

Whether they knew about your pregnancy or not, is not the issue.

If your employer is not allowed to use your pregnancy against you when interviewing you for a promotion, then you can't expect them to make allowances for you because of it, either.

Not to mention, if they did make allowances for you in the interview because you were pregnant, that would give you an unfair advantage over any other candidate interviewing who was not pregnant.

If you intend remaining with this company, I'd let it go. They will merely reply to any case you attempt to take with they didn't know you were pregnant.

If you're not intending to stay with the company, I'd still let it go as I don't think you have grounds for a case - you have no way of proving the other person did worse than you in the interview.

But, if you feel better consulting a solicitor, you should do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

You can never predict how an interview will go.

I've seen average people being promoted over "on paper" much better candidates. It really depends on how people sell themselves and what the interviewer is looking for.

I think you'll be opening yourself up to a world of pain if you persue this.

If you were my friend this is the advice I'd give you.....if you plan on having more children do it now and get another maternity leave from the company. Return from that and then start looking for another job.

If not, start looking around for another job now.

I think you will always be resentful to the company (rightly or wrongly) and it will just fester.

Trust me I know after giving years to a company walking out the door is extremely tough and you probably think you shouldn't have to do that, but loyalty is very seldom rewarded. Just try not to burn bridges while you are still there.

Advertisement