Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Limerick are absolutely cruising after that result. Through to a Munster final now, they can rest all their big names next week (and probably hand Clare the 2 points) and an extra week for injured players to come back. they’re effective 2 wins away from getting back into an AI final

weve got to got to the well the next 2 weekends to even get into a Munster final and from then could be looking at 3 more games before getting to an All final (there is a preliminary quarter final back this year I beleive)

if we don’t beat cork next week we could be snookered as Coris last game is against Tipp who are already out and we have to go to Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep the Cork game is really a knockout game as you stated it could be Clare vs Limerick Reserves next week and a Clare win in that would mean progressing to the Munster final and also get them out of a possible scoring difference dog fight (scenario below)

Say Limerick beat Clare in R4 then Cork could beat us and Tipp but we beat Clare. In that scenario Clare, Waterford and Cork all finish on 4pts meaning the 2nd and 3rd positions would do down to points difference

Cork also could end up having the h2h over us if both ourselves and them end up finishing on 4pts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any word out of the camp since the last game, any players carrying injuries or putting themselves in contention for a start? Maybe it's just me but it feels like a long time since we last had a game and in that time, a lot of hurling has been played. Munster has taken shape, Limerick and most definitely Clare have qualified themselves for the AI series while Tipp have bowed out since we last pucked a ball in anger. Yet it's only the (start of the) second week in May.

Goes without saying and as mentioned above also that we simply have to beat Cork the weekend, no other result will do. It would guarantee getting out of Munster and take the pressure off a bit travelling to Ennis not desperate for a win, a task that's looking to be more and more difficult as the weeks go by. I would say (and without having seeing bookies odds) that Clare will be favourites to meet Limerick in that Munster final, given their good form and having us at home. Who knows, if Limerick rest half their squad next weekend and Clare take advantage, it could be the Bannermen that are the ones resting players the following week against us!

I think most would gladly accept 3rd in the group if offered but if we had a choice about it, I still think finishing 2nd would be preferable. Someone questioned a few pages back if it would be more beneficial to finish 3rd, avoid a gruelling Munster final against Limerick and instead take the "easier" path of 3rd place. Third in Munster though has to then beat the likes of Antrim/Kerry in a preliminary QF before facing the Leinster runners up. That side of the draw also puts you on a collision course with the Munster champions (looking most likely being Limerick).

Compare that to getting 2nd in the group - a "free" shot at a Munster title in the more preferable and familiar confines of Thurles, possibly another tilt at Limerick to see if we have learned anything from the last day, maybe a good chance for fringe players to get game time in a big game (albeit with a nice safety net being it's not a do-or-die match). Win the MF and it's directly through to an AI SF but losing still gets an AI QF against 3rd in Leinster (possibly Wexford or Dublin I reckon) with probably a week's break in between. That also puts you on the Leinster champions side of the draw in an AI SF.

In short, beat Cork and travel to Ennis go all out to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Limerick are not through to a Munster final yet. Ger canning said it about 6 or 7 times yesterday but he is incorrect. If Clare beat limerick and Waterford beat cork and Clare then all three teams finish on 6 points and it comes down to scoring difference.

Limerick do have a healthy scoring difference but still, they aren't definitely into a Munster final as things stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭decies

Let’s take care of our own business . We’ve had our rest hopefully we use that to our benefit we have more strength in numbers then we ever have had and by Christ we will need every one of them !!

• Advertisement

That 2006 AI semi final was heartbreaking, only my 2nd day out in Croke Park. Always assumed that Kens free hit the post but think it was the Commentators mistake and it was actually saved by Donal Og

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Regarding yesterday’s game, the fact is that, despite all Tipperary’s hard work, Limerick ended up with a seven-point win after playing just ten minutes of serious hurling. People are saying that Tipperary ran out of steam, but I would suggest that, in those final ten minutes, Limerick simply showed that they are a far superior team when they put their mind to it.

There were a lot of similarities between this game and Waterford’s win over Tipperary in the first round. In the latter game, Waterford started well, as did Limerick yesterday, then in both games Tipperary got on top with some good hurling and a high work rate. Yesterday Limerick malfunctioned for long periods, reflected in a lot of bad wides, and it was the same for Waterford when they played Tipp. And, like Limerick yesterday, Waterford finished the stronger team against Tipp, basically demonstrating which was the better team. 

Yesterday’s game will have been useful in giving Waterford a warning about the need to hit the ground running against Cork. If you let Cork play, they will do damage. You have to get stuck into them from the start and keep the pressure on. I expect Liam Cahill will make sure this is the case next Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Agree 100%. Cork will look to do what Tipp did on Sunday to Limerick from the off. We need to absolutely bury them.

only saw the limerick Tipp game in full yesterday , to be honest yes I know they ran a away with it the end but I actually thought Tipp have limerick more of a game certainly for longer periods of time then we did just couldn’t get those 2/3 goals you need to get over the line . Should limerick be firm favourites for an all ireland yes absolutely, but there was a chink of light through that all ireland door for me Sunday . Let us look after our own upcoming fixtures but the crunch time is post the provincial finals , who has the most left in the tank in the knockout stages .

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Thought Tipperary did really well under the circumstances.

Limerick probably knew they had the heavy lifting done in the first two matches ; it's hard for any team to play at a high intensity game after game. If I were a betting man .... Clare look like a bit of value (5/2) to overturn Limerick the next day.

Waterford are short priced favourites on Sunday and rightly so and yet it's hard to see Cork poorly once more in what is their last chance saloon. Overall, the 3 week break should mean that Waterford will be refreshed and hungry for a dominant performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Correct let’s just worry about cork on Sunday and forget about Clare and limerick and the all Ireland series and so on. I think the three week break came at the right time for us as we had been hurling non stop for a few weeks, hopefully no new injury worries and those that had injuries are all back to full fitnesses. We will need to be tuned in from the start on Sunday cos if cork get their tails up they will be dangerous. It’s crazy to think that we have been going along nicely while there has been a bit of a crisis in cork hurling but if cork win Sunday the chances are our year will be over and they will be hurling into June! Hopefully there will be a full house on Sunday and everyone there will make themselves heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭supernova5

the history of Cork/Waterford games over the last 20 plus years is that there's seldom more than 1 to 4 points separating them at the final whistle, on current form yea it would seem as though Waterford could/should batter them but surely Cork cannot put in 4 horrendous performances in succession ? if the murmurings on the streets of rebel land are anything to go by then that could very well be the case.....

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

Can't wait to see the team...so many options. Crazy that carthac couldn't play with his u20 team mates so I really hope he has shown enough form in training to get the nod from Liam. Such an unbelievable talent and only getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Does anyone know if any tickets for the Cork game are going to be released on Ticketmaster like they were for the Tipp game..

Possibly

There's a ticket page up but nothing appearing yet when you click the link

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

This analysis shows you don't understand hurling off the ball. No wonder you're always totting up possessions.

Tipp had a very different approach than Waterford. Waterford could and should take a lot out of it. Particularly in defensive shape, setting traps for turnovers, and forward running off the ball.

Tipp had more shots and wides than Limerick and more goal chances. And more scores from turnovers. If you don't understand the value of what a young Tipp side uncovered on Sunday, you'd want to watch it again.

You can bet your ass that Limerick are working on it.

Thanks for above.

Can we expect to see Dessie lining out for Mary I in next year’s Ftizgibbon !

Good to see Waterford native (head of AIB) in the photo shoot !

• Advertisement

any further news on ticket front ?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd say your best shot is if anything comes back from clubs. Possibly a bit early yet for that

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭loves_me_county_boy

@decies For the tipp game they went up on Ticketmaster lunchtime Thursday so hoping will be the same case tomorrow

Match nerves starting to kick in already

This is it Sunday is **** or bust time even with the last round still to come. A loss would be a disaster as it gives Cork the h2h

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

”DOH” (to quote Homer Simpson).

If teams finish level on points, it goes to scoring difference (not h2h) ?

Correction: scoring difference only arises if more than 2 teams finish level on points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Not sure on that but it would make sense but the GAA can sometimes surprise us😀😀

• Advertisement

It’s Thursday so ticket watch online etc from today

Advertisement