Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

There are examples of it though, WH stopped MU winning the league in the mid 90s even though they got battered of 90+ minutes. In the famous match where Aguero scored, I think it was QPR put in a massive display, though I’m not sure if they needed a result to stay up. I think teams would love throwing a spanner in the works on the last day, or at least I hope they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

QPR needed something from that game. On 80 odd mins they were going down, but then there was an equaliser in Bolton's game which meant they went down instead.

Hopefully now the cup final on Saturday will bring another trophy to lift the overriding mood for everyone. I have faith in the players. Remember what happened the day after that deflating Kompany goal against Leicester? 4-0 against Barca.

One other thing about this weekend is that City play on Sunday and before we play against Saints on Tuesday. The result in the City game will dictate what is happening with the league. If they win, we will know that the league is gone then, and can use the Saints game to rest players again before the CL final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This got me thinking this morning.

I've been a proud Liverpool fan all my life. I was proud when we came back to draw 3-3 against Utd at Anfield despite being shíte. I was proud when we won the FA Cup in 1992. I was proud when we won a cup treble under Houllier. I was proud when we produced the miracle in Istanbul. I was proud when we became the most consistent team in Europe under Rafa. I was proud when we got rid of Hicks & Gillett. I was proud when we were tantalisingly close to winning a title with Suarez. I was proud when we got Jurgen Klopp as manager.

I couldn't be prouder of this team and club right now.

Sky are hyping up a race that most of us in our gut have known has been over, if not since the City game, certainly since the Spurs game. But that's not what Sky are guilty of being blissfully ignorant of. They, and all media linked to the Premier League, are blissfully ignorant that without this incredible Liverpool team, without the genius of Jurgen Klopp, and without the brilliance of our recruitment structure - which has all been pretty much 'lightning in a bottle' stuff - this league would be a complete and utter farce. City's oil and blood money would have 5 out of 5 PLs without breaking a sweat. This league would be as bad as the Bundesliga in terms of competitiveness and allure. it'd be a pointless exercise.

And that is why we should never be anything other than proud of this team.

Two cup finals to come. A manager who gets it. Players who have been managed and coached into some of the best in the world.

Yes, this Premier League is a glorified Bundesliga or Ligue 1. Liverpool are literally the only thing in the way.

People act like City winning the league is some massive achievement. Liverpool are the only reason it's even an achievement at all. otherwise, it'd receive the same reaction as people give when Bayern win their league. Or PSG win theirs. A big fat meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The fact that some bookies were prepared to pay out in Jan for a City league win tells you all you need to know about the comeback from Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Eh what? I would not swap a CL for a PL. I wouldn't do it in 2019 and I won't do it in 2922.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

You seem extremely upset for a man so proud.

By the same token the league would be a farce only for City too, Liverpool would have steam rolled to 5 in a row.

Money isn’t the sole reason City are winning titles, it’s world class coaching too along with Liverpool that has them top of tree together. If it was money spent that was the reason then United Chelsea City and Everton would be the top 4 no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

this argument is exhausting.

nobody says money is the sole reason. Pep is a genius, as we all know.

use your head though. i'm not spelling out why money, the fact its bottomless, and the fact it's run by a State, is a ludicrous advantage. i'll give you more credit than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭McFly85

The fact that they’ve been able to run a state funded club for so long so close shows the stellar work that Klopp has done.

Switch the 2 managers clubs when they joined a few years ago and there’s only be one replicating the success he’s already had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It's in Sky's interest to promote these state run agencies, irrespective of their dubious nature. You just have to look at how they are lauding over the Haaland transfer. Bringing the best players in the world into the PL helps Sky's product, otherwise these guys would have ended up in Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You'd be in the minority of almost every Liverpool fan I've ever met in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Agree, been following Liverpool since mid 90's would take a league win over CL win. Think they fact the last leave win in 2020 could have been celebrated as normal has alot to do with it personally as I think the squad 100% deserve it after what they have done the last 4 years. Don't get me wrong I'd be ecstatic with a CL but think the league would mean more to the fans and club to equal the 20..

On another note not sure how haaland improves city, smacks of ibra going to Barca just don't think he suits the style of play and to get the most out of him they may need to change they style of play, I think with a few key additions we will challenge again next year on all fronts, would not be overly concerns with RB cover as I think Gomez should have enough if he stays but think we need 2 for mid to take the pressure off maybe carvalho and Elliot may be integrated more next yr (has Elliot been sanctioned by club for the flare incident, my thoughts on why not near teamsheet as a punishment).. big question mark over the front with who leaves but I think Nunez would be a smashing signing, pace power and works hard for the team and has a bit of flair, perfect Bobby/lord origi replacement. Would prefer a double move for saka and martinelli as I think they would cover front positions with Diaz for years to come, admit it's a pipe dream tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Point is , they would in a heartbeat, hence their jealously in 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This is it - if we decline the champions in favour of a Premier league, who gets the CL?

If Real, then sure.

If City, then no.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Im not sure. They seem to celebrate winning the league in good style. The owners it’s a different story, manager players and fans I’d imagine are delighted with either/or.

Hmmm maybe, but in fairness to Pep he has a squad of players that the club paid way to much for, Grealish an example, but their squad is full of nobodies, not a single star in their squad, okay Debruyne I heard of, but the rest, nobodies.

Silva is holding midfield one game, and in front 3 the next, Debruyne midfield one day, central no9 striker the next, as is sterling, foden, even silva, Gundogan all played no9 , no reasoning to their squad, anyone plays anywhere, I dunno how they win games.

Liverpool team is full of stars, best of the best

But who are these people.

Zackary Steffen

Ederson

Scott Carson

Cieran Slicker

-   -   -   -

Kyle Walker

Rúben Alves Dias

Nathan Aké

Aymeric Laporte

Benjamin Mendy

John Stones

João Cancelo

Conrad Egan-Riley

Luke Mbete

Rodri

IIkay Gündogan

Jack Grealish

Kevin De Bruyne

Fernandinho

Riyad Mahrez

Oleksandr Zinchenko

Oscar Bobb

Iker Pozo La Rosa

Cole Palmer

Phil Foden

James Mcatee

Romeo Lavia

Josh Wilson-Esbrand

Raheem Sterling

Bernardo Silva

Gabriel Jesus

Kayky da Silva Chagas

Liam Delap

Samuel Edozie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

For me winning the CL is bigger than winning PL. Most of our players are global stars, a CL win puts them in position to win more individual awards like Balon D’Or, winning PL does not. I think only the local lads like Trent and even Henderson, Milner, Robertson might put PL ahead or maybe evens with CL. If I compare our winning CL in ‘19 to PL in ‘20 I think the ‘19 triumph and what it then lead to put us to the attention of the world in positive light, much more so than ‘20.

I’m new to the forum so don’t understand the wit or humour here yet by posters but please god tell me this is a wind up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I'd agree with winning PL sways largely towards the British lads and the CL for everyone else. Look at their social media accounts, Alisson is lifting the CL, VVD lifting the CL, Milner has the PL, Salah recently said his goal at the start of the season is the CL.

It's alright though lads, we'll win the cup treble this year and the team will deliver the PL next year. Everyone's a winner.

• Advertisement

Maybe the foreign players would have the same point of view but any British or Irish player wouldn’t I don’t think. Yes there’s more prestige and exposure winning a European Cup but as a collective team there’s no plausible explanation other than the exposure for wanting to win a Cup trophy played over 15 games that you can conceivably lose 6 games of the 15 and still win the cup over a 9 month 38 games season played during all the elements. Has to be the league for me but understand the split would be fairly even if a vote was taken. I mean you don’t even get into Europe unless you play well in your league, the reward for winning and/or being one of the best in your country is a place in the European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

It is

...we all know who Scott Carson is from the Juve game in 2005

The rest of them though... 😉

It is but Toby has a way of wording things to trap people into believing otherwise, in fairness our team is full of Chelsea rejects, relegation fodder cast-offs and center halves no-one else wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

Having seen this posted here, apologies if published previously:

The inside story on Liverpool's title trajectory from The Athletic's Simon Hughes, James Pearce & Raphael Honigstein with host Ken Early.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/liverpool-fc-allez-allez-athletic-tickets-92175051059?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The premier league will conclude their investigation into City's finances any decade now and then we'll see. It's only been going four years 🤔

So Fab out for sure.

But could be back soon after

Talk of Matip in the Fab role, not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

He's proven he can screen the balls, him in MF and Konate and VVD in the back would be interesting

• Advertisement

Henderson will fill in for Fab

I hear they offered him an eight year deal, it almost sounds like a baseball contract and there have been some disastrous deals baseball franchises have got involved in over the years which seriously hampered their spending potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭wildrover444

Would like to see milner start on Saturday. Has played well when filling in lately .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Throwing him straight into a final could be suicide mind, would he have the sharpness, I'm not sure....

Wait a minute, I'm clearly joking...

He's James Milner, he runs ring's around them kids with his lactate test's... 😂

This Twitter thread below is interesting, after Pep's comments of how Liverpool spent big in the eighties and nineties....

Our survey says, wrong :

Henderson will play the #6 with Fabinho out. Talk of Matip as a #6 is silly, has he ever played there for Liverpool? It took Fabinho two months to be trusted in the position, Matip isn't getting near it.

Full team Saturday, anything less baring injuries and I'll be annoyed

Alisson

TAA - Konate/Matip - VVD - Robbo

Keita - Henderson - Thiago

Salah - Mane - Diaz

I think Diaz could be used as the game changer from the bench myself I think he would be more impactful than Jota, Origi or Bobby if needed.

• Advertisement

He played great against Chelsea in Wembley, roasted Azpilicueta and Reece James multiple times. Chelsea are likely weak and not in great form, start strong and stand on their neck.

He was electric that day.

What's interesting too is that Chelsea sometimes use Reece James as the RCB if they come up against a very quick winger. So they will have a choice to make, play him as they regularly do as a wide midfielder, and risk Diaz going 1v1 against Azpilcueta. Or playing James as RCB and Azpilcueta as the wide midfielder which becomes more of a RB and it negates James' attacking game.

I wish him well, don't care about how it all ended up with Phil at Barca tbh, we built this team around his departure and used the cash wisely.... 🤷‍♂️

Hope he gets his mojo back, but it’s a hell of a fall for both Phil and Barca, a warning to all that the grass isn’t always greener.

Did Edwards put a sell on clause in the deal that we might get some of the €20m Villa are paying for him.

• Advertisement

Would Barca not have bought out the clauses for the gargantuan price he was shifted for?

You could be right though!

That really would be like taking their lollipop after robbing their wallet.

Didn't Liverpool sell the debt to a third party for 90% (or something similar) of the transfer fee?

Barca lost some money on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The form Son is now it looks like he will over take Salah for the Golden Boot with Burnley and Norwich next up for Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,038 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hopefully Salah can get his eye in against Chelsea over the weekend, and then lash in a few against Southampton.

Son will win golden boot now, Salah looks so keen to score of late, and it's obvious , maybe it's the reason he's not scoring. It shouldn't matter, but it clearly does to him, he wants that award.

Klopp has just said Fab will be 100% back for the Champions League final, Before we will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Very rare to see a manager claim a player will “definitely” be back by a certain date when a hamstring injury is the cause. Makes me wonder if he’s absolutely fine and we’ll even see him tomorrow, though it wouldn’t be like Klopp to play games like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement