Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Russians: the sooner we lose all our equipment, the quicker the war ends and we can go home (or heaven)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I'm pretty sure he just fat-fingered his post; 150 would be a much more reasonable estimate. Not even an entire BTG and all of its staff including logistics/engineering/infantry etc. would add up to 1,500.

150 would still be a significant loss from a single engagement; and clearly their loss in equipment was also substantial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

It's two things.

Replacing Russian energy, particularly gas, is not 'easy' and it is not something that can be done at the drop of a hat. And it is not cost-free. Changes like this normally occur over decades, not weeks and months. I was illustrating that the people claiming it to be 'easy' don't even know the basic facts that would prove or disprove their opinion. As none of them could supply these facts.

The second, and more important one, is 'what to do with Russia after the war?'. Or what I would call winning the peace. A lot of the more hyperbolic posters would espouse the opinion of isolating them and effectively turning them into a giant North Korea.

This is a terrible idea, awful beyond words, and would guarantee another conflict within relatively short order. If you don't believe me, just look at the lessons of recent history. Defeated Germany had enormous, punitive reparations inflicted upon it post-WW1. Did this serve the world well? No, it had the opposite effect as a resentful, angry populace turned to a fanatic for answers.

Just like Germany, Russia is too big and too strategic to just wall off and hope they come to their senses in time. So, in our own selfish interest, we should have a long-term plan for engaging with them and encouraging them into the fold.

Because the alternative is more war.

Something we haven't really engaged with yet but I hope strategic thinkers in Western capitals are doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nice comparison but it misses the fact that Russia already has a fanatic dictator running the show, and has always had dictators running the show.

Best thing to do is iron curtain them, undermine their influence and power then watch their republics break away.

Worked with the Soviets and will work with their successors.

You've not answered the questions you said were easy to answer. So, why should we not consider you an idiot or a liar?

Nobody said it was going to be easy... will it cost more, yes. To quote Mastercard... not being an energy slave to Russia? PRICELESS!!!

"Awful beyond words" are you fukking kidding us?! Awful beyond words is already happening... to Ukraine, and would happen to other countries if allowed, right up to the baltic countries.

Placating Russia is a terrible idea. Russia is clearly too big, break the bugger up, denuke it and the West will allow it out of the dog house to beg at the dinner table. That's what should happen to the rump Russia, Siberia and the other former Russian republics can be treated better. Russia is in bits. Will they nuke the world and themselves. Not likely, Putin will drink his special tea long before then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Russian soldiers apparently murder two civilians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

For the WW2 Germany and the nazis had allies all over the world, with most of them also sharing their ideology. This is not the case now with Russia. Also, they are much more incompetent than the germans back then. They need to be economically crushed back to the situation in the 90s where they were selling the weapons on the black market and what they didn't sell was rotting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Macrons idea is how they are going to dodge the issue of Ukrainian membership.

Hard to compete with a sophisticated geopolitical thinker like yourself but I'll try.

Nowhere have I said anything about 'placating Russia'. Russia should be defeated on the field of battle as much as possible and all aid should be given to Ukraine to do this. Russia should be weakened economically through sanctions. Russia should be isoltated diplomatically. Russia should bear huge costs for launching this illegal war. Putin should be jailed, or ideally just die.

I hope that's clear enough and the false argument you are trying to impute no longer exists in your mind.

The question I am trying to ask is what happens after that. Having won the war, how do we, the West (in which Ukraine is now most definitely a part), win the peace?

And, long-term, which may be decades, that involves engaging with Russia and making their interests aligned with our interests. Punishment is precisely the wrong way to achieve that objective. As seen with Germany post WW1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement

Break Russia up, it's effectively a rotten empire of disparate peoples. It has largely looted the East of its empire for Moscow's gain..

Care needs to be taken to ensure China doesn't take over though.

It also needs to lose all its nukes. Once they are gone the West will start to trade with it again. Russia needs the West more than the west needs Russia.

A broken up Russia will quickly become a Chinese dominated region.

That needs to be avoided obviously, but the regions can be offered alternatives - democracy for one. But, if necessary China needs confronting sooner or later. With Russia defanged that becomes a lot easier.

Democracy will be offered to people who have no cultural affinity to Democracy or the Western tradition that drives it.

China will offer Generals lots of money and weapons, kill people who are blocking them, trade deals etc.

The West should be muscular about pushing it. It will not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Finland and Sweden very likely to join NATO soon, I can't help but worry over this, seems like there is only one thing this will lead to , Russia at war with NATO == WW3 === the end !

Why do you think Russia will destroy itself? Why would billionaires give up their luxury lives? Russia wont destroy itself this side of NATO actually attacking it. That is very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭briany

Such regions would have to adopt democracy because they want democracy. Recent history has shown us that democracy that is parachuted in can be a bit shaky, but in a broken up Russia, I think political systems being foisted on the population would be pretty inevitable, as it would be the centre of a new race to exert influence by the powers of the world.

Nobody said it would be easy. 😀 A denuked and broken up Russia might give China pause.

I'm shearing sheep at the weekend but I can help you collapse Russia and bring Democracy to it next Monday and Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭zv2

Do the Russians know that the Ukrainians have drones?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Russia at war with NATO will not result in WW3, it will result in an embarrassingly quick and catastrophic defeat for Russia.

Sure, Russia could use nuclear weapons, but if they are mad enough to do that then really the actions of any of us are irrelevant as they would do it sooner or later anyway.

Damn sexy sheep holding up the freedom of all the Russias!!!

I'd laugh if Ukraine started a special military operation of their own by crossing the border into Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

So what do you think will happen then when they they join NATO? Are Russia going to attack via conventional means first? That would just be an all out slaughter for what evers left of their army.

Their only other option is to launch nukes and they may as well just accept the annihilation of Russia and the world then in that case and they full well know that.

I suspect their media and trolls will ramp up propaganda about this turning into WW3 and that they will use nukes, their may even be some thinnly veiled threats from Russia about the consequences as we get closer to them joining, but that will be about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AttractiveAndSingle

Russia is clearly too big, break the bugger up, denuke it and the West will allow it out of the dog house to beg at the dinner table.

The number of fantasists in this thread is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Looking at the Chinese alliance with Russia - I can only think of one outcome for Russia in the longer term, especially areas in the Far East - Chinese ownership. They have probably made their maps already, decided on what parts of Russia they would like to take and how to string them along now and keep them at odds with the West. The Chinese are much cleverer (and more dangerous) than the Russians, they'll go about this playing the long game. Russia is continuing to shoot itself in the foot by proceeding with the invasion and incurring crippling sanctions, being completely ostracised from World Events, and sounding more deranged with each day that passes.

I shudder to think of how this will be resolved for Ukraine - it seems a stalemate is being reached, and even in the East - the Russians aren't exactly declaring victory. All the while, more innocent people are murdered, tortured and attacked.

How, exactly, would Russia be 'broken up'? And by who?

Obviously nobody could be crazy enough to suggest achieving this by invasion and force of arms. So how?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@ronivek - I'm pretty sure he just fat-fingered his post; 150 would be a much more reasonable estimate. 

Maybe it's plural, and his sausage fingers struck twice. Probably only 15 dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,203 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yep. Unless it's actually invaded and Putin is dethroned, which might result in a nuclear confrontation, the only way any big change is can happen is if it's internally generated.

At the moment all effective opposition is locked up. All media channels and papers are dominated by the gov. All large resources are owned by Kremlin lackeys. It would take a genuine ground swell of public outrage, a proper citizen led revolution for anything to change. Something akin to Maidan. And at the moment that's unlikely.

The thing that's slightly more likely, but still very unlikely, would be that putin is deposed and is replaced by someone just like him. No change in the authoritarian nature of the state, Oligarchs still there. Press still controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,880 ✭✭✭✭josip

There are 10 times more Chinese than Russians, Russia is 70% bigger than China and the Han have always been willing to travel for a bit of 'lebensraum'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement