Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Not following the treaties comes with penalties, but unfortunately there is an allowance that the remaining states have to be unanimous and it only take one other state to block it. The EU have cobbled a method to withhold funds to recalcitrant states with just majority voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Fully agree and with all due respect to those who fought for freedom in this country but the maidan revolution made Easter week in this country in 1916 look like a picnic. This current war makes our war of independence look like a skirmish. That’s not to belittle the bravery of our own struggle btw. Different situation different scale of conflict. Ukraine are being put through the wringer for their independence every bit as much and more than most countries in the EU have gone through for the same independence. They have proven themselves in ways that can’t be measured by technocratic , bureaucratic and economic markers. And if they weren’t putting up the fight they are we would be much closer to a 1939 situation with a rampant fascist army buoyed by massive territorial gains.

About as viable as your predictions that putin would have taken control and claimed victory today.

They would need to sanction the U. K. also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

Maybe they don't actually need to be EU members.Maybe the EU can recognise the way they have fought on their own as well as our own behalf in other ways.

It would be sad if their young population was to be economically squeezed out of their own country as might happen if the wage differentials were as enormous as I understand they are now.

Maybe they need a well run referendum (in due course,ideally when the war is settled) to decide for themselves whether or not they want to actually apply for membership.

I think we know that they would/should be a special case but is EU membership per se an obviously advantageous goal?

• Advertisement

In fairness the Russians are currently trying to squeeze them out of existence and out of their own country far more brutally than any economic disparity ever would.

I realise Ukraine is under martial law but if they are willing to stand and fight so viruently for their country I’d imagine they are hardly going to flock to leave it if they ever do join the EU. They clearly are very attached to their homeland and way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

And it's not viable because....?

Are the UK assisting Russian Oligarchs? Yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

• Registered Users Posts: 18,536 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He won't be the one who decides what happens anyway. Biden has far more clout and 'skin in the game'.

Macron's meetings were often used to evaluate Putin's mental health as well as gauge other factors. European needs one key leader to keep the channel open, stopping dialogue with Putin "would mean leaving the negotiations to other powers, such as “the Turkish president [Recep Tayyip Erdoğan], the Chinese president [Xi Jinping] or others." It's the Real Politik of the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

It’s a photo op for too many at this stage, Bono, Jill Biden et Al…

Ireland has Russian money, are we assisting them? It's not black/white.

Prior to the invasion, Tories can be accused of being far too relaxed with Russian money entering the country (despite efforts with the unexplained wealth orders and so on), however post-invasion, like most European countries, the UK gov aren't actively and systematically assisting Russian Oligarchs, quite the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Their democratically elected government is proceeding rapidly with an EU membership application; and I guess you're also not familiar with the Maidan Uprising? Ukraine has made their choice.

Macron's comments today mentioned that Ukraine's candidate status would likely be fast tracked but full membership would likely take years; which more or less echoes other statements made over the past number of weeks.

He also mentioned additional Europe-wide agreements which would fall short of EU membership but might provide other forms of cooperation; so potentially that will be how Ukraine will be treated whilst it is a candidate for full membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Fully agree and with all due respect to those who fought for freedom in this country but the maidan revolution made Easter week in this country in 1916 look like a picnic. This current war makes our war of independence look like a skirmish. That’s not to belittle the bravery of our own struggle btw. Different situation different scale of conflict.

Different times too.

Our civil was was a Skirmish and what did it solve in the end nothing came of it. Them people who died in the Ciivil War died for no reason except for there belief that the treaty was not a good one or it was the best we could achieve which it was at the time but that's for another thread not hear.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭amandstu

Still their collective choice.It is uncertain times.Who knows what the political climate will be in the coming period?

Look at Hungary .Who would have thought that their 1956 uprising would lead to their present sympathies.

It’s a whole other topic and I know very little of Hungary. But yes it is incredible that a country that was so recently brutally oppressed by the Soviets is now so favourable to the Putin regime. A country that also went with the Axis in world war 2 before switching sides. Often on the wrong side of History. There is of course the faded imperial factor there as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's more about Orban to be honest; he was one of the leaders to demand that Sovjet union left the country and was very much anti Russia. Then after a meeting in Moscow he suddenly changed tune and has been singing a different hymn ever after; not really to hard to connect the dots there of what most likely happened esp. as his whole setup is a money grab for friends ala Trump/Tories etc..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The normal Russian people were also brutally oppressed by the Soviets too, particularly the intelligentsia. The gulags and the purges were not only visited on the non-Russians, but mainly the opposition, whoever they were - and brutally. Polonium laced tea anyone?

The Hungarians have also been subject to unending propaganda and obliteration of any views that oppose the government line. State TV is controlled by - you guessed it - the state. The opposition do not get to appear on it.

All encompassing propaganda works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Notwithstanding the likelihood Orban is as bent as a 9 bob note ... I think he also tapped into the "anti liberal" cultural swing, speaking as someone who would also be fairly ignorant of Hungarian politics. It's not especially outrageous to note how socially conservative Europe gets as you move eastwards across the continent; Orban seems to have tapped into othering Paris, Berlin and other Western social democracies - creating the same kind of social & cultural paranoia as we see in Russia. It's the exact same rhetoric: the godless West, out to turn your children gay, and destroy "traditional family values" beloved by those Christians least adherent to Christ's actual message of empathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Macron is bullshítting with his waffle about "don't humiliate Putin" speech.

The speech started off very well but I was waiting for the "but". And of course it came. But this, but that. Need to build peace - bollox. Only total defeat of fascist Russia achieves anything, there is never going to be normal relations with Russia until then and unless Russia becomes a democracy respecting international law order. It's like trying to build peace with North Korea, it's simply futile and stupid. Ukrainians know this - they will accept only a complete defeat and withdrawal of Russian forces from their territory.

Macron is apologetist at worst and trying to play a big statesman (which he isn't) at best.

If this is supposed to be some sort of an unofficial leader of the EU after Merkel's retirement then God be with us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Macron is following a policy that every French president before him in my lifetime followed, same with Scholz.

It's just in Ireland that we were fed the notion that the big boys in the EU were some sort of Captain Planet-heros for humanity collective. We'll still buy into that guff.

Orban is bent, hardly differentiates him from other European leaders (Hi Sarkozy). he doesnt have create any paranoia in his electorate,they only have to look at the shitshow social democrats have made of Western Europe and decide that they want none of it, even if the EU is trying to make that political ideology compulsory

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Exactly what sh*tshow? And exactly what is compulsory here? Asparagus for breakfast?

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't read something this abstractly, superficially paranoid as "... political ideology compulsory" in ages. But if you're celebrating Victor Orban's policies then I doubt we're going to find much commonality here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod: discussion of internal or external Hungarian politics/relations is not on topic for Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

The Finns have decided,pragmatically ✌🏻❤️

Sweden follows shortly with 95% likelihood.

Democracy and freedom need to be defended by effort, money and actions (cough cough Ireland).

Vladimir Vladimirovich - you're a geopolitical genius, the Baltic and the Arctic is fully NATO controlled now and you increased the border with nato countries from 700 kms to 2000 kms, brillant 😎

Oh sorry, I mistook this for the Russia thread in Current Affairs. Obviously, had I realised this thread was in the knitting circle that is Politics I wouldn't have bothered my hole posting. 😄

Next move is Putin's cos Russia will now have not just a border with NATO, but a Finnish NATO border. It's the right move by the Nordics, but is also a move that will increase tension, not reduce it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

More's the pity, but I suppose it is 50 cent extra in the bank. At least I hope so anyway! 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Does it really increase tension though?

I don't think Russia really cares what Finland do; let alone Sweden. Indeed I don't think they really cared about Ukraine joining NATO either; it was just a convenient excuse which gets some extra mileage out of the ol' propaganda.

Advertisement