Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Even if they can’t host it’ll be given to another country to stage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah seems the obvious solution. Then maybe Ireland could put in a decent entry and not be terrified of winning. If they won they could graciously allow Ukraine to host in Ireland's place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

If Ukraine won, obviously they wouldn’t be hosting it next year, but who would pay for for it if another country hosted it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭RoTelly

AFAIR BBC offered to host one of the 4 1990s editions from Belfast, while the UK hosted the contest 8 times

according to wiki

The United Kingdom has hosted the Eurovision Song Contest a record eight times. The United Kingdom stepped in and hosted the contest for the Netherlands in 1960France in 1963Monaco in 1972 and Luxembourg in 1974 due to the winning countries' financial and capacity issues. In four occasions (1968, 1977, 1982 and 1998) the UK was given the right to host as a result of a victory. The BBC offered to joint host the 1996 contest in BelfastNorthern Ireland with Irish broadcaster RTÉ if Ireland were to win for a fourth year in a row.

Also I don't think the full cost is landed with the host nation anymore. I think RTÉ would have paid for most of production when they hosted it.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Isn't the whole Big 5 set up because they agreed to pay for a lot of the production as a number of countries would have been entering "my lovely horse" after winning and hosting onec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Issues like that are sorted out with the EBU. The costs would be divided Id imagine. The same scenario would happen if for example San Marino won… they wouldn’t be able to stage it as they’re too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Probably been posted here already, but Ukraine have to win it, don't they? What country would want to be seen giving them no score or a small score?

San Marino would probably hold it just over the border like they have done in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Dana was on Ray D’Arcy’s Screw-Up FM earlier - she said that Marty Whelan was having microphone trouble last night, and was inaudible to viewers at times.

Shame that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

If Ukraine do win my guess is next year's ESC would be hosted in Poland - neighbours with Ukraine so ESC would still head east, co-hosted events together before (EURO 2012 Football Championship) and Poland successfully hosted Junior ESC in 2019 & 2020. Krakow 2023 anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

At least they can't send Linda Martin as she's giving the Irish vote......🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

TBH I think their entry should be voted for based on the quality of the song rather than the war thats going on but I get what you are saying all right because I reckon the Eastern European countries will give them a lot of high votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Eurovision should have nothing to do with politics,wars or whatever is going on in the news. It should be all down to the awful,cheesy and mental songs. Ukraines entry probably shouldn't have even got through last week, it's a piss poor entry

Sure. As long as we all agree that nobody votes for the UK...

Everything is political. You would appreciate your friends art more than your enemy's art. Ukraine is pretty popular and admirable right now. No doubt they'll do better than the song alone merits.

The good thing about it is that there's absolutely nothing at stake. It's just a bit of fun and a laugh.

Seriously though, how good was Diodato last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

IF Ukraine win ??

When they win !! , are bookies even taking bets on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Not a massive fan of Switzerland but it's ok. Lithuania I cannot stand.

Listened to the Irish song on Spotify and it's better without the visuals. Dancing is bad and doesn't add to the song.

But the bit that really makes my arse wink is when she says 'stoopid' and 'bye-bye fool'. Coupled with singing in a horrible American accent, it's just all wrong. No Irish person says stoopid or bye-bye fool. It just smells wrong.

Maybe the word choice is calculated to appeal to Europeans and maybe it's actually very clever. Maybe no matter how little English you speak you'll get the sentiment, but I find it hard to actually enjoy the song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

must look it up again, but was something like 1/2 before the first semi final. It probably is free money betting on them, but at those odds I'd still be a bit nervous

First Mika, then The Rasmus…

Dr. Strange has opened up a wormhole into 2005!

Who’s on tonight, Scouting For Girls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Ukraine actually 2/5

way too short for me. Having to put 250 to just make 100 in a historically dodgy competition is a bit much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

That should be part of the bit at halftime on Saturday.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The biggest thing that annoyed me about that "Celebration Show" they did in 2020 in place of the cancelled show was the paltry 20 seconds all the entrants got. I would have happily watched Diodato belt his song in an empty colosseum over ABBA trying to be relevant again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Wasn't there talk back in the glory days when we couldn't stop winning it of offering it to BBC Northern Ireland to host? In the end we just solved the problem ourselves by just sending bad songs.

*Edit: I see the next post down re BBC offering to co host in 1996

RTÉ find themselves in the position that they'd love to qualify for the final, but then have zero chance of winning it for fear of ever having to host again..

We need to ditch the pop and go the singer/songwriter/trad route.. Make it Irish, who cares if we get to the final or not, go out with some class. The last Irish song I liked was the lad who made the final, with the 2 dancers, nice catchy song.. Who wouldn't love to see a trad band on that stage?, fiddles, flutes, bodhrans the lot.... giving it socks... Pints of Guinness everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Indeed, I'd love us to send something Traditional. Also would be nice to send something in Irish, the only time we've done that at main ESC was in 1972. Just experiment with different types of genres rather than just pop or MOR ballads. Treat Eurovision as a showcase for Ireland's musical talent, similar to Portugal's approach of sending songs authentic to them.

RTE used to be able to tap into our musical talent better, hence why we won 7 times and finished second 4 times, we can do it again.

Someone was joking on Tuesday about who is sending the "Holly Valance" song. All we are doing is the new version of sending the "Dua Lipa" song. Next year we will probably send the "Billy Eilish".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Why did they change the lyrics from Bye Bye Boy to Bye Bye Fool?

Everyone is raving about the Ukranian song and it's in traditional Ukranian style (I'm led to believe) I know it's got a similar style to their song last year and they did pretty well last year which didn't have the political reasons for supporting Ukraine.

See last year's song below.

Ireland should send something with a bit of Irish flavour. Our culture is generally perceived as charming by foreigners. Sending something which actually represents us is a much better idea. That poor cratur this year is sent out to sing an American style pop song, in a faux-American accent, and she's probably not going to qualify and not likely to get much appreciation for it.

Sending something Irish would be a much better idea. I could actually support that and wouldn't mind if others don't get it and it didn't do well The song we have this year is bland and generic. Everyone will get exactly what it is and it's likely to fall pretty flat.

Saying that, part of me hopes she qualifies but it might be better to go quietly in the qualifiers rather than come last on Saturday. The UK score last year was pretty embarrassing for their entry.

That's the band but not the actual song they used last year. The song was called "Shum" and was an absolute belter.

• Advertisement

You're right. I've changed the video.

It's Ukrainian style and has clear similarities with this year's song. Modern trad. Ireland could do that without having to look too hard.

That entry was artistically done though. Ireland's entry is a mess visually so that's a separate point.

Advertisement