Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

West Ham do have an option of extending his contract but do see next season being his last. Wouldn't mind seeing him at Anderlecht as a replacement for Cullen.

Similar Parrott is going into the final year of his contract. Not sure if Spurs have an option to extend, though they'll look to sign him to a new contract to protect their asset. Would love to see him back himself and look for a permanent move rather than another loan.

Liam Manning will more than likely move onto a championship club and if he doesn't there's also Russell Martin who brought Parrott to MK Dons and plays a similar style. Wouldnt be a guaranteed starter with Piroe already there but would see decent game you'd feel. More importantly Swansea play a good style of football and Martin's has shown he can help improve players with the form Obafemi is currently showing.

It wouldn't surprise me if Spurs look to cash in on him this summer. His stock is somewhat high after a positive season with MK Dons and might feel now is the best time to make a few quid from him. Whether it's a loan or not I think next season will be his last at Spurs.

Similar I can see Brighton doing the same with Connolly and moving him on for good next season. Whether it be a permanent transfer or a similar deal to Molumby's loan with a commitment to buy from whomever takes him next season.

Paper never refused ink, and Henderson would have plenty of suitors but wouldn't surprise me one bit if it is true. Can't see Bournemouth spending big money and would look to bring in young players who are championship proven incase of relegation so will be looking at PL experienced loans such as this.

Mark Travers coming into the last year of his contract and would do well to hold off on talks until he knows whether he'll be first choice or not next season. Wouldn't be short of suitors himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I doubt Bournemouth would blow their entire budget on a position where they don't currently have a problem. It would be pretty hard to justify and could cause disharmony.

Edit: I also think Dean Henderson would be underwhelmed by the prospect of moving to Bournemouth.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Gusser09

You'd wonder who is in charge of recruitment at Bournemouth. Parker has been full of praise for Travers and talking him of how he need to step up to the PL now and prove himself there. Doesn't really make sense but there you go. Travers won't be short of clubs but I do think he will be in the PL next year with Bournemouth. I can't see them spending the sort of money on Henderson either. Not with Travers being one of the best young Gk's in England at the moment.

Are they saying the Henderson move would be a loan?

The same source also calls Robbie Brady a classy player. Take from that what you will.

United would have to cover some of his wages no matter where he goes as he's on 100k a week, and Bournemouth will need to sign a keeper whether it's someone to come in as back up to Travers or someone like Henderson on loan.

Don't think Henderson will mind too much who he joins this summer with the world cup this November.

A loan move. He'll have better clubs than Bournemouth in the league sniffing around him looking for a keeper with premier league experience.

Springett gets his first start after making his debut at weekend.

Good to see. Relegation could work well for him.

Hopefully, and same with our other young players there. Idah was looking tidy before his injury and with a bit of luck Smith will revert back to 4-4-2 with Pukki and Idah as his front two. Their defence is poor and a good chance for Omobamidele to get into the starting XI and if Max Aarons moves on Josh Giurgi could get in and around the senior team as back up to Sam Byram if Smith doesn't bring another RB in.

Springett didn't look out of place in his 67mins and should have had an assist only for Pukki hitting the post in a one on one situation. Norwich have a few wide players ahead of him so hopefully can show enough to get a place in the squad for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Looks like Bazunu will be our most in demand player this Summer.

Permanent move with a buy back clause would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Maybe Newcastle would lash out loadsamoney on Pickford and given he’s from Sunderland that’s a weird transfer aswell. Not sure who else would.

If Everton and Southampton are two clubs looking at him this summer then hopefully there's better offers from abroad. Someone that can offer European football.

Interesting that Bournemouth are linked with a possible move for him too. As they say paper never refused ink but if I was Travers I'd be telling my agent to put some feelers out to see what clubs would be interested in him if Bournemouth are looking at new no.1 options. Especially with a year left on his contract teams would snap him up cheap or for free next year. Because ain't no way Bazunu or Henderson would be moving to be back up keepers at Bournemouth if it were to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Is Springett declared for us?

Everton is a great offer if it’s there but I’m dubious. One of the biggest clubs in the best league in the world.

Crawford has mentioned he's on the radar for next season's campaign. Could be a chance he's similar to Eiran Cashin and paperwork was never finalised because of Covid.

Fully agree about Everton but think Bazunu would choose somewhere that's gonna help his career over money at this stage. Could sign a new contract and stay with Man City for the money and go out on loan.

If they had a competent manager maybe, but Lampard is the drizzling **** really.

He’s being on loan at Portsmouth and rochdale. Getting to Everton without Pickford would be amazing, as would a Southampton move. Wouldn’t be turning my nose up at either.

Rooney's at Derby and even he turned down an interview for their managers job. Just saying if those two clubs are interested there's hopefully better options abroad that have an interest given he's a starting international and gets hyped up by foreign media as one of the best young keepers in the world.

Would definitely be choosing Southampton over Everton, and if Newcastle are definitely looking at a keeper I'd be looking at someone like a Bazunu over paying massive money on t-rex arms .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Jesus we're delusional at the best of times, highest level the lad has played at is League One but he's too good for established Premier League teams now? Let me guess, he'd be better off at Anderlecht or Vitesse or something? Like it or not the Premier League is the stongest league in the world and the more players we have playing in it the better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Agree completely but I would rather see him playing for PSV week in week out than warming a bench at Bournemouth.

EPL money is hard to ignore though. Ask Darren Randolph

Calm down, and no one is saying he's too good for established Premier League teams. More talking your Napoli's, Dortmund's, RB Leipzig, Sevilla etc. Be better off on loan at Sheffield United than Anderlecht or Vitesse FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I just don't think we can turn our nose up to any Premier League club looking to bring in one of our players as a starter - and talk of Dortmund or Sevilla is fanciful at best.

Well your reaction to him being linked to Everton is let’s hope something better is coming from abroad.

it’s a weird reaction in my opinion. Everton would be a special move for him if Pickford is sold.

Delusional we are. I for one can't see a PL team taking a risk on a young goalie who's highest experience of playing regularly is League 1. I think any PL team taking him on permanent will be looking to him as a long term option. Maybe I'm wrong. We should be hoping that he steps up to championship next season and play every game there. See how he gets on then. he would have his pick of clubs there you would think.

We should be more concerned about talk of Travers potentially not being number1 in the PL next season. We badly need more players playing at the highest level possible. Hopefully he holds off on any contract talks for the moment until things become a bit clearer. He has been one of their best players this year and he also a potentially lucrative asset. It's hard to see why they would consider such a move even if it were loan. Travers would probably look to move permanently and they next season Bournemouth are back to square one having let one of the best young goalies in England leave. Travers would likely leave for a fraction of what he is worth too. I suppose some clubs are just run poorly though.

All of the above has an impact on Kelleher too. If both Travers and Bazunu are playing regularly next season in the championship even and he is sitting on the bench again he will stagnate. It's a massive summer for him what with being 24 in November. He needs to get out playing football even at league 1 level. Again maybe he is happy with the money at Liverpool and best of luck to him if that's the case. We will only be able to gauge how good he is when he has played consistently throughout a season. If he leaves it until he is 25 to move and having only played a dozen games you might not see clubs queueing up for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Conor Noß scored for Gladbach against Ukraine last night in a friendly (go to 1.23 for the goal)

• Advertisement

Big game for the lads today in the first leg of the play off against Forest. Stevens and Hourihane (if they sign him when his contract is up) mightn't play as much if promoted but be great to see Egan back in the PL as he's good enough to be playing there. Feel for Mcgoldrick whose missing out in the play offs and leaving at the end of the season.

Both Collins and Long starting for Burnley today who are playing with a back three. Collins playing as the central player in that back three.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Collins been superhuman the first 25 minutes of this.

Darren Fletcher is probably sitting somewhere at Carrington just telling people I told you so. Criminal that United didn't spend 15m on this lad when you consider the money they've wasted on others.

• Advertisement

Worth multiples of that when you consider what Arsenal spent of Ben White.

Brighton are probably still laughing about that deal.

Mightn't be the only Irish player leaving Oxford this summer. Luke McNally had a good season and one of the highest rated CBs this season in League One.

A second consecutive promotion for Queen's Park yesterday. Luca Connell providing an assist for one of the goals in the play-off final. Going into the final year of his contract at Celtic, surely he's a prime candidate for a permanent move. Wonder would the likes of an MK Dons take a punt on him.

He’d be odds against to ever get a cap at this stage but yeah hope he moves anyway and I’m sure he shall

I'd say finding a League One club could be an issue for him and would be trying to convince clubs at that level on his performance for Bolton three years ago. The level he's been playing would probably be like the 6th and 7th tier of English football.

Mark Sykes to Bristol City offically confirmed. Will probably be O'Dowda's replacement in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

Rotherham have taken up the year option on Ogbene's contract and are in talks about a new one.

WalesOnline reporting that Swansea were showing interest, but likely wouldn't make a move if his contract was extended.

John Egan starts tonight with Conor Hourihane on the bench. Enda Stevens misses out through injury. Played 89mins in the first leg but went down in the first half with what looked like a knock to his calf. Could be an issue come June, even if fit to play you wonder if one knock and he's out again.

Commentator mentions it's an knee injury, wasn't he also out earlier in the season with an knee injury?

Heartbreak for Sheffield United losing on penalties. 3-1 down at half time to bring it back to 3-3 and thought they'd go on to win it. Hourihane missed their second penalty. Another season in the championship for Egan and you'd assume they'll probably try sign Hourihane if the wages are reasonable.

SPECIAL| Fenerbahçe started negotiations with Getafe for John Joe Patrick Finn. Numerous Earth giants are available for the player.

Not sure how accurate, but Finn's apparently out of contract so a move away seems plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He looks a big during lad. Is it worrying though that they are letting him go?

• Advertisement

Believe it's the other way around and he's turned down a contract from Getafe and wants to move.

Hourihane being linked to West Brom today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Delighted for Seamus Coleman last night. His playing days at the top level may be limited but Everton would be mad not to keep him around the club in some capacity.

I hadn't spotted James McLean made the League 1 team of the season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

He's had few howlers , including last night , but his leadership and general play has been tops - don't remember making those mistakes in his early days, his legs arn't what they were , but if all Everton players showed his character all season , we would have been way up the league. Brilliant leadership.

You'd like to see Coleman and McClean staay around the Ireland squad for another while also. They will help the younger lads make the step up.

Things looking good in terms of more lads playing at a higher level next year too.

Mid table championship would probably be his level at this stage. Don't see any team with actual aspirations of promotion building their midfield around him.

Yeah it's a squad with a lot of young players in and around it so the experience these lads can pass on is great. Both for on and off the pitch. Good thing for us is we look to have a few youngsters that have that old head on young shoulders mentality. Lads like Bazunu, Collins, Knight, O'Shea, and while he's a bit older I'd include Cullen. Others like Travers who stepped up massively this season and was one of the big reasons Bournemouth finished were they did

Hopefully when the teams meet up next week that Kenny and Crawford can have a word with some of the younger players about loan moves, especially Coventry and Kilkenny. Could see these two being kept at their clubs and any loan move coming at the last minute in the window.

Coaches should be getting onto the lads about securing good loan moves early and having that time to settle in during pre season rather than dropped in when the league's already begun.

Yeh I think Bazunu and Kelleher will be talked to also to see what their intentions are for next year. Parrot needs to push for a championship move also and would a move for Idah be any harm? A fresh start away from a yoyo club with a all of the upheaval that brings might be a good thing. Shane Daffy could also do with a move. We badly need him to be playing regularly. Still an important player for us.

I'd say there's no fear in Bazunu's intentions as his always being about wanting to get out and play games, but Kelleher is a different story. They'll have to bring in another no2 to replace Kelleher and someone whose good enough and fits the way they want to play.

Parrott has been linked with QPR and that was before Liam Manning was favourite to get the job. Would make the move better if he was to sign and Liam Manning was the manager plus you've John Eustace there if he remains as assistant.

Idah should do well at Norwich next season. Smith had them set up well playing 4-4-2 with Idah and Pukki as his front two. Sargent played nearly a thousand minutes more than Idah and could only manage scoring two goals and an assist all season. Whereas in the one spell where Idah was given an actual run in the team got a goal and two assists before getting injured. If Smith goes back to a front two of Idah and Pukki think both lads will have a field day in the championship.

Duffy I can see seeing out the last year of his contract at Brighton and moving on. He loves the place, is on good money there and unless Brighton bring in a couple of CBs they'll be left with Adam Webster as the only decent back up. Duffy is an important player for us but the way Collins has emerged lately I'm less worried about Duffy not being a regular at club than I was back in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Coleman gets such praise from Frank Lampard for his role and leadership in our great Escape - one of our greats

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement