Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭dalyboy

In dunnes today for my daily fruit shopping. Up till yesterday you could buy raspberries 150g container for €2. Replaced today with 125g for same price.

Blackberries were two 125g containers for €5. Today ….. €5.50.

Hate doing it but Lidl (Germans) next door is getting my business from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In Dunnes you pay for those €10 off €50 coupons with higher prices

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lidl have the best quality fruit and veg anyway I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 porkmaster

It's worth getting to a point where you are just comfortable doing without a lot of stuff. Easier now than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 porkmaster

Lots of subscription things are a waste of money and it all adds up like death by a thousand cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I blame that wanker Phillip Lane the great Irish man who's their chief economist.

To be fair to the ECB, there inflation is 7.5% but the core inflation is only in the 2% region. I think US is 8.3% and core 6% so that's why the Fed is acting quicker.

ECB is waiting for Energy prices to drop due to an incoming downturn so demand will cool it off. What they are not factoring is the Food price inflation that will not drop due to the Fertiliser price and due to this 300% increase farms are producing less to save on input costs meaning a food shortage as well as the shortage of grain in Russia and Ukraine.

The era of cheap food is over and the ECB just think that Food inflation is based off energy costs to some degree yes but when shortages get baked into the system the price of food will start to spiral. I personally think this will be the ECBs undoing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

on a most important note sounds like the price of chicken is about to explode .. maybe double even.. time to eat as much as possible before it is too late !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People can afford to pay an extra 50cent on a burger or a loaf of bread, look at the property market, millions of peoples have mortgages, when interest rates go up by 1 per cent, mortgage cost per month go 30 per cent approx Look at the USA, all tech stocks down by 20 to 30 per cent , bitcoin digital currencys down by 50 per cent, and the EU wants to ban all oil imports from. Russia. All factory's rely on oil, gas or electricity to run plus transportation costs are rising. There's no easy way to stop inflation without putting the economy into recession. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. In the 70s we had oil crisis, inflation , war in the middle east. And the world is still recovering from the pandemic. Yes Russia has to be sanctioned but the EU needs oil and gas to keep factory's running .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Already in UK - Catering giant Compass, which provides food for offices and schools, said chefs are switching to cheaper proteins to avoid some of the steepest price rises..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I wonder do these clowns realize that Turkeys also eat the same grain and feed that chickens get. All food price is going to spiral and this is going to be the undoing of most central banks as food price is what will keep the inflation numbers stubbornly high for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm not sure that will put manners on people considering recessions or depressions only ever tend to impact a minority seriously. For the rest it's just irritating small consequences. Maybe enough to get political change.

In Ireland though that means Shinner or the left. That might be the cure as they'll wreck the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...again, the problem has now become private debt, the solution, increasing public debt, but to use this to create new assets, such as new properties, and other assets, such as significantly improving our most critical of needs, health care system, energy systems, etc etc etc

you do realise we re already in serious trouble regarding these issues.....

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

Cheapest Tesco toilet paper from €2.89 to €5.

Hot topic but: Heating & hot water bill went from €99 this time last year to €345. Exact same usage. I don't use heating, just hot water for the same amount each day.

I think we have been underpaying for food for a while now and in isolation I don't mind food prices going up if it meant the producers were getting a bit more but absolutely everything is gone up and less offers on consumer goods. Like we've been able to buy 16oz of rib eye steak and a whole chicken for less than the price of a pint each. Aldi and Lidl are still very good value even with prices creeping up, I cook all my meals from scratch, its really the only way. Met a client for lunch the other day, cost me €15 for a toastie and coffee, its just totally unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Official headline figure is 7%. Feels like more tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The horsebox, shipping container coffee outlets will be in trouble.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Every week I buy €70 worth of diesel. Thankfully this is the one thing that still costs the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I bet the Pandemic toilet roll hoarders are feeling pretty smug right now.

Speaking of inflation. check this out : https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/developer-plans-to-sell-532-homes-for-social-housing-deal-worth-e1-5-billion-1302779.html

Council are buying houses for council tenants from a private developer at 456,000 euro a pop. I don't know why i am working my put off, paying huge chunks of my income in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheGlossy

Hahaha. Yeah. I wasn't one of them, but I'm sure they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's an absolute joke, isn't it.

Someone very close to me under extreme mental and physical stress to try and get high points from leaving cert to get a good job so they can move out of home and live an independent life.

Meanwhile people getting accommodation like these for free. Would make your blood boil.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Social housing is not free, and we should have more of it, regardless of the income of the tenants. If it were offered to young "professional" people, it would help them save for a mortgage, if that's what they want. A rent paid to the state will allow investment in more social housing. A win win.

The housing issue has been badly managed by the state for decades, and is bleeding the public purse to pay for private landlords. This is pure politics (ideological and other), nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

This.

We were potentially looking to stay in Dublin for a weekend the next few weeks and wouldn't have had much change from €800 for a normal hotel for two nights.

It's a slow motion car crash what's happening; people are now starting to tighten their belts because prices are rising and then businesses will start to make cutbacks due to reduced consumer spending (which was due to rising prices of these businesses) and jobs will start to go and consumer sentiment will sour. The real effect of the inflation being experienced is that people are getting poorer by the day and, even though we are all still working, it does not feel like the current situation can continue without something giving.

The Budget will come around and instead of the government announcing new, large scale infrastructure, education and housing investment programmes funded largely by borrowing, the government will be telling us that they need to balance the books blah blah. This will then be a self-fulfilling economic crash as the money won't be invested to start to build an economy for "after the crash". We are once again staring at an economic shock like we had in 2008 and the warning signs on MNC corporate taxes have been there for years. Heads will be scratched and people will ask what happened to the cash and there will be no accountability for the waste of public spending of our exchequer windfall.

Time to jump ship while one can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,989 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

In order to break even on a 700,000 euro appartment bought on borrowed money(yes the government are running deficits to fund this nonsense) rent of nearly 4000 euro monthly needs to be charged. No professionals will pay that.

UK heading towards a recession before the end of the year, hard to see us going any other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Food prices have been too cheap for far too long. When you are able to import grapes from Chile for 2 euros a box, you know something is wrong. Very bad for the environment too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Booked a week in the sun for June and it was 630 Euro

Had a look at apartment in inch for same week. 1 bed apt 1750 euro

Obviously you can get cheaper but I was using the apt as basis for comparison and that's without the issue of irish weather.

I'm a coffee addict, I don't buy takeaway coffee like ever but surely they are starting to feel the pinch. Takeaway coffee would be one of the first things to go if I'm struggling with bills, fast food also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Oddly, fast food sales goes up in recessions- it’s one of the few “luxuries” some people can still afford- even though the prices are increasing rapidly this time

Advertisement