Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** Starfield ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Which is what they've done for every release to date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While there are plenty of Duke Nukem Forevers in the graveyard of gaming, delays are IMO a good thing. More time for polish, bug fixing and extra runway for development.

Although it's a Bethesda RPG so presumably the bugs will still be present as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sounds like common sense prevailing over on-brand marketing. Pleasantly surprising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very sensible move to delay it rather than have it come in hot, although I'm a bit surprised as it's been quite some time since I've seen a publisher (at least a AAA) be so committed to a release date so far in advance. Indeed, didn't Todd Howard say they wouldn't announce a date unless they were confident of meeting it?

At the same time, it was weird that they had a marketing blitz going without any actual game being shown! I mean, it's great in a way - it makes much more sense to hold back on showing gameplay until you're sure it's representative of the final game rather than wasting developer time on fake gameplay demos. That should be the norm! But makes sense in this case if it just wasn't quite ready to show yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Disappointed by this tbh but for the best if it was only going to be another cyber punk like disaster.

"At the same time, it was weird that they had a marketing blitz going without any actual game being shown!"

It's not weird, it's how Bethesda tend to approach game releases. They only showed Fallout 4 gameplay a few months before release. Howard has stated several times he likes to wait for as long as possible before releasing gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Still waiting on the new MS killer app.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's been a while, but my recollection was Fallout 4 was only officially announced at the same time they revealed in-depth gameplay footage, a few months before release. That's great! I wish more developers did that.

And I have zero problem with them holding back Starfield gameplay if it's not ready! But they're releasing monthly promo videos, official soundtrack cuts etc... and we still haven't seen the game. Quite different to the Fallout situation IMO, albeit one now explained by the delay. They say they're showing something soon, anyway: hopefully that'll be representative of the final game since they're so far along in development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cyberpunk was delayed aswell, didnt help that much.

In general id agree though,release these games only when they are ready.

• Advertisement

Cyberpunk's major problem was how much the company lied in it's marketing. And there was a massive marketing campaign too.

Starfield has been relatively low key, by comparison. About six YouTube videos of vague descriptions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Last gen console held it back as well , should never have been released on them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm disappointed with the delay but we've been here before with Bethesda, Morrowind and Oblivion spring to mind.

I'm glad they're announcing it well out from the original release date before the hype really sets in, if the delay was announced in September I'd be annoyed!

I'm having a splendid night of insomnia and I was thinking since Starfield was due to release Day 1 on Game Pass, did that actually take the financial pressure off to release to a tight deadline and give Bethesda the flexibility to delay?

Contrast this with Fallout 76, where they (surely) knew the game was in a dire state but probably felt the financial pressure to just get it out and generating revenue?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Proper gameplay trailer out now, and it looks fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The spaceship and base customization looks unreal, can see me spending hours on that alone

Doesn't look like my kind of game at all based on what was shown today. It looks really like a Bethesda remake of No Man's Sky but with a much blander, grey/brown look. Very strange to lead with a boring combat encounter in the most generic possible setting. And bog-standard features like character customisation, levelling screens, base building etc is exactly the type of stuff I couldn't care less about.

The space fighting looks much more impressive than the ground combat, to be fair, and it's impossible to tell how rewarding the exploration - always the strength of Bethesda game - will be from a mere 10 minutes of random promotional footage. My major overarching concern is the thing will simply be too big, with a lot of cut/paste or procedurally generated 'space' filling all those systems Howard was boasting about. That's one thing for a freeform game like NMS, quite another for a more story-focused RPG. We can but wait and see, as a glimpse is only a glimpse... but certainly if this is the game's best foot forward it doesn't immediately seem like my kinda thing.

Music's great tho.

I honestly don't get the comparisons to No Man's Sky. A game I've played extensively. I mean, they are both space games and I can see the similarities with the mining etc, but I think it looks more like Star Citizen. Far more similar to that game.

No Man's Sky has a very stylized feel to it, very cartoonish, not much of a story. Not much NPC interaction. Combat is limited. No cities. Very different game in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭ricimaki

I wasn't sure what to make of this when it was first announced, but am really interested now.

It's certainly ambitious, but being a Bethesda game, I'm expecting it will be fairly rough around the edges, with plenty of mods to smooth it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Agree with this entirely. It was all very No Man's Sky, but with a less interesting art style. When he boasted of the number of planets you can fully explore at the end, that pretty much confirmed vast uninteresting procedurally generated area as it's simply not possible to handcraft that amount of space. The ship customisation looked good but the combat didn't look great - it looked better than the ground combat for sure, but nowhere near proper space combat games that are out there. As for the gameplay on the ground with that fight against pirates, that was just utterly dreadful. How could they think that was a good showcase for the game. Very generic sounding story too but maybe it'll be told well. At least they seem to have moved on from the trademark Bethesda janky conversations towards NPCs that look more like actual approximations of humans.

And I also agree, the music was one element that was absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement

I mean, it looks exactly like I imagined it would, for better or worse. I don't think it's being helped by the inundation of space exploration games we're seeing lately. Where this had a chance to stand out though, was with the cities; vibrant, futuristic space ports, exotic tourist locations... that's where they can set themselves apart from the pack. The fact they chose not to show too much of that is a disappointment - some gameplay in a city rather than another Bethesda wasteland would have been cool.

Edit: Forgot to say, the brief story elements we were told about kinda line up with a so-called leak I read a few months ago. In that leak it was claimed that the story would

be religious/philosophical in nature. That could be an interesting take on space exploration, or if handled badly could be cringeworthy to the max. We'll see.

Post edited by Mr Crispy on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,573 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I swear I heard a little nod to The Expanse: some of the pirates' voices had a distinct Belter twang.

The music was fabulous; the rest? Looks very Bethesda, for good and bad. As Crispy says, what makes it stand out are the more populous areas and it was a pity we saw little of that, cos the barren wastelands looked ... well, barren and a bit dull. Almost like something an algorithm would spit out. Maybe some planets are more curates than others, but if that's the boastful demo it doesn't give immediate excitement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sounds like the vast majority of those planets will be entirely optional, completely empty apart from resource gathering. I guess that's an ok compromise for me, because I was left completely disappointed by the procedurally generated stuff in No Mans Sky.

How do we feel about no alien races in the game? Well, I guess they could be holding them back for a later reveal (maybe that's why they didn't go in-depth in the cities). It could even be a quest line, making first contact or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

90% of the planets will have radiant quests like "collect 5 collectibles" and "kill space monster."

Howard is the biggest spoofer going.

DLC. I guarantee they're being held back for expansions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wonder how vast most of these planets will actually be? The reveal didn't go into much detail, other than pointing out that we can land at key locations or choose to land wherever we want.

Is it a case that most planets will essentially just consist of a couple of explorable and hand crafted locations with the remaining areas just consisting of wilderness? Obviously aside from a few main planets which will be much larger in terms of areas to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looks like the same old engine, the player is moving so slowly in the videos and the framrate still looks like it's all over the shop in some parts.

Pretty standard for Bethesda I suppose but it's getting old. Like just use Unreal 5 at this point!!

I know it wasn't out while they were developing It, it just sux we have to have another game with the same engine

No Man's Sky crossed with Outer Worlds. Meaning a core set of planets where the story will be progressed along with filler go off and mine a load of resources. I'm guessing there is no multi-player? So no chance of stumbling across a giant dildo shaped spaceship on your travels. Is there any trading aspect to it along the lines of Elite?

I'd probably be interested in doing the core campaign story and leave all the resource gathering except for whatever is required to progress the story.

Things are ominous for Xbox though. This was supposed to be a biggie in their catalog. Not another meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm surprised at this and other comments here. Just seems to be anti Bethesda/Xbox trend on this as the game won't be on Playstation.

Thought the game looked really good and don't see how for example one can say he player is moving so slowly and the framerate still looks like it's all over the shop in some parts.

Advertisement