Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Already has been. We're a secular country allegedly.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The Church IS providing a service though, they’re providing education, and just like every other Patron who meets the criteria to qualify for public funding, the Church isn’t any different in that regard.

The greatest difference between the Bishops of Ireland (who are the patron body for RC schools), and the other patrons who provide education as service to Irish society, is that purely by virtue of their number of schools, the RC are the largest provider of education.

It’s really the DES that makes the rules, enforces the rules, and signs the cheques according to the budget allocated to them by the Minister for Finance. When the Government are willing to lease the schools from the RC instead of just purchasing them outright, then I don’t blame anyone for wondering are the Government serious about this whole divestment idea at all, or are they just quite literally kicking the can down the road -

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/government-will-pay-church-to-rent-schools-that-become-multi-denominational-1272633.html

This is just a wordy way ofsin the same thing and my response is the same: stop paying for/funding something that doesn't meet the requirements or insist that it does.

I’m not sure what you’re driving at then PB because the education being provided more than meets the requirements, and given what little provisions the Government make for education, the State is getting far more than what it’s paying for -

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119012783#Comment_119012783

You know what I mean The requirement in question is a secular education with no religious inflence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭jmreire

Which referendum was that Princess? I travel a lot, and may have missed it.

1972. Removed the 'special place' the Church had with the State.

Which constitutional article were you suggesting be put to a referendum?

I was thinking more in line of local referenda, if you like. Do local polls in the catchment areas of the schools. That would certainly clarify things, as to who wants what in terms of diversification etc. That constitutional change removed the special place that the Church had, yes. But I would not think that is the quite the same thing as saying that the Church would have to withdraw 100% from all its activities in the state, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fine, although I'm not sure why the vote of an OAP in, say, Donegal should influence whether an Educate Together school can open in, say, Cork. There's nothing in the constitution which says anything about what type(s) of schools should or have to be provided in any given area.

There is however Article 44.2.4 of the Constitution which explicitly recognises "the right of any child to attend a school receiving public money without attending religious instruction at that school". Yet it's sometimes difficult for parents to have a school acknowledge this constitutional right to opt out at all, and sitting at the back of the class colouring (or at the back pew of the class mass) isn't good enough either. They are not participating but they are still attending.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Doesn't matter - if it's not constitutional, it doesn't need public approval. Just needs a government go and do it.

They pass unpopular laws without public consultation all the time - MUP recently, for example.

I take your point about local authority (although I'm not sure if a local referendum is a) possible; or b) legally binding), but I think it world create to many loopholes and precedents - it world have to be national.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭whydoibother

Thank God

Well, first regarding the referendum that separated the powers of Church and State, that was a good thing...in any Country. I've worked in far too many Country's governed by sharia Law, ( now there's a serious example of religious interference in education!!! ) and while there may be some positive points to it, overall, its not a good system of governance.

Here in Ireland we have school associations, made up of Parents and Teachers committees, who co-ordinate and organize themselves regarding school issues and events. I think anyway ( rightly or wrongly) that a lot of the resistance to change is not necessarily coming from the Church, but from the local people themselves. So if there was agreement across the board by all, then everything should be OK. Removing religion from the schools, especially in rural areas is not going to go down well, and I'd say that one reason why the changeover is taking so long is because of local resistance, and non-clerical at that. For all of the talk about religion being on the way out in Ireland, and for sure church going Nrs have dropped, but now you get committed Catholics. The Church is far from dead and gone in Ireland,,,,but anytime they stick their heads above the rampart's, BANG. Easy non-retaliatory target. Anyway, that's my take on it.

But religion is not being removed from schools - its being moved to a non-curricular status.

And I don't believe there is the support you say there is - if there is, why are the churches not full every Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Thank you for this. Seemingly, very few people understand that our institutions are built on 19th century foundations. This includes the 19th century laissez faire system with a vengeance - largely because the 19th century British state was so hostile to us Irish. One result of this was that farmers didn't pay tax - and neither did their wives, if the wife had a job (eg school teachers). I recall a radio interview with a man in a Co Waterford primary school, who said that when he started teaching he was the only teacher in the school paying tax: all the other teachers were married to farmers.

So while a small might have had some justification for not paying tax, large farmers did not, and certainly there was never any justification for a school teacher to be exempt from paying tax because of her husband's status.

The Catholic church (and the Protestant churches too) were 19th century products, with roots going even further back. But as you said,

I think in some ways we had a continuation of Late Victorian and Edwardian British social conservatism that added a layer of an extremely conservative interpretation of Catholicism that wrapped itself around nationalism in a totally inappropriate way.

Many of the institutions that grew up around education and health are basically just a failure to reform 19th century concepts of Poor Law systems - we effectively were running privately operated Workhouses just rebadged as Magdalene Laundries and industrial schools well into the 20th century.

This social conservatism was copper-fastened with independence and partition, the first of which cut us off from the direct influence of British politics; while the latter removed the possibility of a genuine Labour party coming to play a major role in Irish society.

Labour was divided between north and south; and in the north, it was divided between us and them. All in all, a field ripe for reactionary take-over.

In the north, this was done by Big House unionism; in the south, by the professional classes and well-off farmers, backed by the Catholic church and the remnants of southern unionism. These players were neither liberal nor progressive, and as they say the rest is history.

And when FF came to power in the early 1930s, de Valera - never a leftwing revolutionary - handed out crumbs to the working class and small farmers, but left the whole superstructure inherited from the UK in place. This superstructure is still in place; the Catholic church is still strong as a political organisation (just look at the debacle regarding NMH and St Vincent's if you are in doubt) although it no longer controls the thoughts and sexual mores of the general populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The main difference between the church as patron and secular bodies as patron is the unending enthusiasm to indoctrinate people to pay lip service to their particular religion.

Oop's !!!! Missing a full stop or two there Princess LOL.. It was a reply to Hotblack, referencing you.😂 But don't worry, I'm sure he understands ( Hotblack, that is.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It annoys me when people say ban / stop all religion. Like people have in this thread. Always said by narrow minded atheists.

Like, ok, let's call a spade a spade. Catholic Church? It's a business. Always needs more money. We all know the craic with them. But religion itself is not so black and white. There's over 7 billion on this planet trying to get by. Religion gives hope to some. Sure somebody, somewhere is doing a good deed right now to another human being because of their religious beliefs. So It's ok to say to him and her f**k your belief it should be banned? That's not right.

Besides even if you could magically ban religion right this second. The world would be the same. Be wars etc. More cults would pop up. You'd have ... I dunno fecking Sun worshipers or something lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Literally the second post in this thread for one example. Which reads:

"Personally, I think that the sooner we're done with religion as a species, the better."

Ahh right, I get what you mean now. I didn’t before, because the Church meets all the rules required of Patron bodies who wish to qualify for public funding. When you said this -

That’s just not how it works. The State provides for education, and it does so through the patronage system. The State isn’t requesting that education with no religion is required. At most what they are requesting is that the school must be recognised by the State, must have an ethos, and must teach the national curriculum.

The State makes no distinction whatsoever as to whether a patron is religious or secular. It doesn’t endorse any particular religion either, but it does allow in their admission policies for minority faiths to discriminate in favouring members of their own religion without restrictions. Majority faiths are only permitted to discriminate in their admissions policies under certain conditions, such as in order to maintain the ethos of the school.

Seems a rather obvious point to make Andrew? I wouldn’t call it a difference though, because secular bodies don’t endorse any particular religion, nor do they seek to indoctrinate anyone into religion.

Educate Together however, in particular, is unending in it’s enthusiasm for paying lip service to all religions and none. The other secular bodies such as Secular Schools Ireland don’t pay lip service to any religion at all.

Still the main difference in terms of their patronage is the sheer numbers of schools each patron body has under it’s patronage.

The State isn’t requesting that education with no religion is required.

The State makes no distinction whatsoever as to whether a patron is religious or secular.

And these are the bits that need to change.

Patrons should be secular and the State should insists that "no religion" IS a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

"There's no enlightenment coming". Yes, in fact, it's more like a new Dark Age with all the academic journal pseudo-science that's going about! 

So the malevolent RCC is declining but of course that does not mean we're entering Xanadu. Obviously the replacement evil actor must already be here and is ushering our country towards a secular society. All this means, we are just going to get a new set of trade-offs... 

As a country we now have ever weakening family ties and communities. We have a gov/media/enterprise that is championing 6M+ individual personality types that need to be catered for on a case-by-case basis. That does not sound like a position of competitive strength for the average man on the street. Nothing ever changes that much ;-)

Post edited by 72sheep on

That’s not going to happen though as not only would it be repugnant to the Constitution, ‘twould violate international human rights laws too. The only solution realistically speaking is for the State to fund the establishment of more secular schools, and that’s not going to happen any time soon while the DES makes the rules that if there are enough places in existing schools in an area, they’re not going to build another school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I started my own self-adoration cult years ago, when I re-o-lized how precious I was, in my own eyes, to myself. The worship has grown and is quite successful according to my follower.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Based on what I experienced in North Kerry. WW2 was very good for Irish farmers if you could grow it there was no difficulty selling it. This was the base for continued growth when the war ended in 1945. Starting around 1950 there was an exodus of 15 to 20 year olds mostly to England but also the wider English speaking world. The crisis as reported on RTE and the newspapers was that even large towns were unable to put together GAA teams for both junior football and hurling. It was about this time that the politicians were woken up to the fact that people were concerned about depopulation as it caused declining property values and abandoned houses as well as houses used for only a few weeks a year. The shopkeepers were in a state of shock. Serious attempts were made to recuscitate the economy. Secondary education was geared to a career in religion with an emphasis on Latin and Classical Greek as well as Gaelic. This shifted to STEM over about 15 years. The major change came after the January 1972 referendum on entry to EU which passed with 83% in favour. The signing on ceremony was held in May 1972. Essentially the EU successfully used bribery and threats to kick Ireland out of its not so genteel poverty. The fact that 3 out 5 people had worked abroad also helped. I did not see much evidence that priests ruled the roost. My mother in the 1960's used to say the feckin priests are becoming worse than politicians in soliciting donations. She was a business woman and my father was a bag man (collected donations) for one of the natural governing political parties. An interesting fact is that when his Party was out of office he also interceded to pass funds to the party in power for favours required. I would say attending mass every Sunday was a matter of keeping up appearances and an ingrained habit which began to erode in the 1950s. In Canada where I am now the Irish, French Canadians and Italians make up the bulk of the Catholics. The Catholics have a right to their own primary and secondary schools. Women are the main source of support. For example my daughter manoeuvred her son into the best school in the city which is a Catholic Choir School associated with a Cathedral. The school was founded by a priest from Tipperary in 1937 the Cardinal is also an Irish descendant. My grandson started practicing piano at 3 years and singing lessons at 4 to get into a class of 23 with 2600 applicants. The Catholic Church was positive on balance in Ireland in that many of us went on to very good careers built on our Primary and Secondary church schooling. I should add that in Canada STEM subjects are mandatory and the amount of time devoted to religion is about 20% of the whole although language and history tend to be blended in. We should all be down on our knees thanking God for the EU. In my case the Irish and French Canadians carved out prosperous and happy lives for themselves from 1867 onwards from which I have benefited.

That's the problem, from what I'm reading. There aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I’m not particularly religious and have no desire to weigh into this argument too deeply. All I’ll say is that I attended my eldest niece’s confirmation yesterday and it was genuinely wonderful.

There were almost 80 young girls making their confirmation from the school. Talking to my brother, very few parents opted out. The church was thronged with parents, young children, grandparents, and extended family. The age range was from grandparents in their 70s, down to toddlers, with quite a few heavily pregnant mothers. The bishop delivered a very articulate, almost entertaining sermon. The young girls were thrilled and were all queuing up for pictures with the bishop after the mass.

Afterwards, my extended family went for dinner. It was terrific for me and my four siblings to get together. We have eight kids between us and counting. The young cousins had great craic playing together outside.

Throughout the day, there was a great sense of community and pride. Families coming together for their little girl’s special day. Whatever opinions people have about the church and religion, it simply didn’t matter. Frankly, the entire occasion was terrific and a wonderful antidote to the gnawing cynicism and nihilism so present these days.

Advertisement