Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

didn't see the match as the weather was too nice.

wasn't worth watching from what I see.

the late nights the day before don't seem to suit Zverev!

Alcaraz is 5 for 5 in finals

Felie AA must be looking on in disbelief.

Medved is now the only Top 10 player whom Alcaraz hasn't beaten now (must have played at least 1)

Medved vs Alcaraz would be a hope for a good rivalry over the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Medvedev is not a force anymore, he has been broken.

Hopefully Sinner can get his act together and can be a proper rival to Alcaraz.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Alcaraz withdraws from Rome, not too surprising.

Zverev very unhappy with the scheduling in his press conference, says he didn't get to bed until after 5am last night. He's completely right, utterly bizarre to start at 3pm and put the women's final in between the two semi's.

imo Sinner just doesn't have it and never will

nice striker of the ball but very lacking in variety and for example he got completely rinsed by FAA the other day only managing to put 3 games on the board

Medvedev had a hernia - standard fix and will be back.

He's a better player than Sinner ever will be I believe

His main strength is hard court of course so he's not an all-surface player but before Alcaraz came to the fore he was the one doing most and he should get back to that level

The odds are also against Thiem also coming back as wrists don't fix too well and he's already 30 next year (and he's not a Nadal or Djokovic 30)

He couldn't take out Djokovic or Nadal when he was in his prime pre-wrist injury in the big finals

Nice to see Wawrinka get his first win since Australian Open 2021. I'm sure he hasn't got a lot of time left in the game so every win is a bonus.

Another loss for Thiem in Rome, but hopefully getting closer to the elusive comeback win. Rome 2021 was when he last won a match.

Osaka withdraws from Rome, I'm wondering is it more to avoid a second straight defeat to Sorribes Tormo. Wouldn't be surprised if another 'mental health' break was on the cards either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

apologies if answered before but does anyone know why Djock would have completed his round of 32 match before some players have started their round of 64 match.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Raducanu getting a hammering of Andreescu. Andreescu really fired up for it.

Trainer is out now for Raducanu.

Raducanu retires yet again.

Andreescu, a higher pedigree wta-one-slammer in just her 3rd tournament this year was going to win in any case so it makes no difference to the actual outcome.

All the R64 matches were finished or nearly (bar 1 or more?) were they not?

Just a main court scheduling decision as Djokovic is top seed (and 5 time winner, 11 time finalist) and they are saving Sinner (local boy top hope) for school day prime time evening slot

So basically both scheduling reasons

• Advertisement

Collins beats Halep. Be good to Andresscu going well here after her injury problems.

Why do they have Djokovic vs Wawrinka on at 2.30, don't they some of us have to go to coaching at that time, could they not put it on after 5.

Andresscu into the quarter finals, she will play the winner of Swaitek and Azarenka. Would be great to see Andresscu play a full tour to see what she can really do.

Swiatek - Andreescu QF is a tasty matchup. Women's draw in Rome is quite strong actually, Swiatek will have her work cut out to lift the trophy again. We might even see the winning streak being snapped, but I'd rather it be here than in Paris.

As Floppybits said above it's really encouraging to see Andreescu playing well, particularly on clay where she's never had any notable results. Given the fact she's played so fleetingly over the past few years, I feel Andreescu is another one where we don't know what her true level is.

Not confirmed yet but Krejcikova likely won't be defending her title in Paris. Hasn't played since Qatar and has withdrawn from every entered tournament since, including next week's Strasbourg.

Andreescu is fairly obviously a pretty decent WTA player

Anyone who can win 3 big tournaments and not just the 1, plus beat plenty of current and past Top 10 players and put together a 17-match win streak can be said to have a reasonable pedigree

And she has injury reason for being out-of-the-picture instead of just losing all the time

you can avoid the result and just play the match back from the start when you want on Amazon (and they don't dumbly show the result on the playback option)

being realistic this is unlikely to be anything other that a standard win for Djokovic unless that gassing thing seen recently comes back to get him or something

The "stanimal" is gone and all that remains is the dad-bod

Ah I can't do that, have to watch it live. Anyways not worry got my tennis coaching in and back in time for the start now.

Stan I'd say would be the one that will be gassing in this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wawrinka is 37, this is just a farewell tour surely.

There are one or 2 on a farewell tour.

Early break to Novak. Going to be a quick one

Shapo takes Nadal into a final set in Rome and looks determined

And Nadal looking a bit uncomfortable

"The foot"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,178 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I stand by my prediction from earlier this year, and before 2021s FO…Nadal will not win FO ever again..

A bit grand-standy coming in after Nadal pretty much retired injured in this match (even tho he didn't technically retire - he stuck it out)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

Even if Nadal does play in the FO, he wont be in the top 4 seeds I think?

And Djokovic has to beat Shapo to stay at No. 1

Impossible, don't let the little performance tonight in Rome fool you, this is mind games to Djokovic and Alcaraz ... he wants them to relax.

An easy FO win for Nadal next month...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Jesus man, give it a rest, a new username but same old spiel. Federers record is already gone you know...

FO seeds most likely -> Nadal 4, Alcaraz 6. Could all potentially end up with Djokovic on one side of the draw

Djokovic has to only get to the semi by beating FAA afaik to get to stay at No.1 until the end of the FO

Although Medvedev is playing an ATP 250 in Geneva next week - if he won that would he go ahead?

FAA's game is literally so dull to watch and he seems about as interesting off the court.

The only distinctive thing about him is that weird wheezy grunty sound that he makes

Alcaraz is now favourite in the betting with the bookies in advance of the French open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

The draw for the FO will take place before the Geneva Open finishes so whatever Medvedev does there won't count for the seedings.

Nadal was defending 1000 points in Rome whereas Tsitsi was only defending 180, so Nadal will be 5th seed at best I think

On the Medved point I was only looking at it from the ATP No.1 rank, not seed No.1

Nadal is not necessarily done of course - he claims that his foot thing comes and goes.

That he always has it.

Gets more of a mention if he loses.

• Advertisement

Don't know what you're talking about, I don't care about Federer.

Nadal has already said he'll be fully fit for the FO.

Was the same a few years ago where he looked weak in Rome and then battered everyone in Paris.

He might drop 2 sets in the whole tournament ...

Advertisement