Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

He (Putin) must have factored it in.

I am thinking of the counterfactual where the war is a complete success, all goes even better than hoped. Most if not all of Ukraine is now pacified and occupied (maybe they would leave part of the West near Poland alone and allow it exist as a rump?).

It is all being "Russified" and a big pogrom/purge by Putin's security goons is well under way. Zelenskyy and the government are dead or fled. You'd have to expect Sweden and Finland and maybe other neutrals in the EU would be observing this with horror, and scurrying madly for the cover of NATO now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You are thinking from a Western rational point of view with the fact Nato is a defensive alliance; Russia's view is they had a buffer zone in case of aggression and made it easier to go into the Baltic states without much local resistance. Not like Russia can do a whole lot about it in reality; they can't handle the Ukraine war very well and they build up for that for a year. At this stage trying to stage a second invasion on the fly; yea...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Check out the Current Affairs / IMHO forum - you'll find 20 different threads complaining about how everything is "woke" nowadays. Right up your street by the sounds of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Orban's government has said that the sanctions - which include a total or near total embargo on oil - will damage Hungary's economy far more than Russia's, so that is their basis for opposing it apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

For the Hungarian government to prioritise Hungarian welfare over all else is hardly surprising, if a little selfish.

The self-flagellation helps no-one, and will only make Europe weaker and the population more unhappy. If you wanted to foster pro-Russian (apathy towards Russians is more accurate) or anti-EU sentiment throughout the member states, coercing them into destroying their economies through oil embargoes is one way to do it.

As soon as citizens in EU start to feel the sanctions affect them, is when sympathy for the Ukrainians starts to disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The sanctions are already affecting them in case you haven't seen the cost of fuel. There have been multiple polls outlining that people support Ukraine and the sanctions no matter the personal impact.

And its not self-flagellation. A continent dependent on Russia is not a safe one. It is self-preservation in the long run.

Self-preservation in the long run would involve building up alternative supply chains of oil for the bloc before any embargo is put in place, which would massively minimise any economic or other damage to Europe, albeit due to global market pricing there would still be a significant impact.

The cost of fuel will jump significantly following a european embargo being agreed - right now costs are only beginning to bite, unless this is all over soon (which it wont be) things are going to get a hell of a lot more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If he is honest, he is correct to do so considering the Germans won't allow gas to be cut off because they rely on it so much.

Why should Hungary be willing to collapse their economy when Germany aren't?

Germany: "Russia are using energy as a weapon"

The EU were the ones who started it when they put sanctions on Russian companies and made decisions to stop importing Russian energy.

They can't be surprised or feel hard done by when Russia return the favour right? If they are, they mustn't have thought things through.

I'm guessing Germany are sh!tting the bed right now for fear of gas supplies being shut off.

Isn't that exactly what Germany are doing by refusing to ban Russia gas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Several countries are reliant on Russian gas, and of those, some more than others. This means they can't just "cut it tomorrow" without considerable pain. Therefore they are working to wean themselves off it as fast as is feasible whilst securing other supplies. The Germans estimate this can be done in around 6 months for them, give or take.

Hungary is different, breaking from EU consensus, Orban is relatively pro-Russia and seems happy enough to maintain energy ties with Putin. Also, as a land-locked country and due to various factors it's much more reliant on Ru gas/oil than most other EU countries.

Well done for failing to comprehend a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Would expect the Hungarian oil imports can possibly be covered by others in the EU helping them + if not, they were already offered a reasonable derogation with extra time I think (+1 year extra, so end of 2023) to phase it out. Orbán still says no.

I believe it is an almost cost free way for him to help Putin/Russia, because there is not much the EU can do quickly to work around Hungary (will take a fair bit of time if it can even be done), so you have sad spectacle of Von Der Leyen having to lobby Orbán to agree to something.

He has no election hanging over his head, so he can adopt almost any policy positions he likes now. It will be very interesting to see what he does when those NATO membership applications from Finland and Sweden are finally made, if he has the guts to try and obstruct to give Putin more time to mount some kind of a response/deliver a punishment, despite how busy Russia is with Ukraine.

The German gas imports from Russia cannot currently be covered in full by anyone or anything (as far as I'm aware) (?)

No, you summarised it as such in an attempt to misrepresent my post entirely, as you often do. Please save the histrionics for the thread in Current Affairs.

When the cost of sanctions against Russia begin to be felt more and more in people's pockets, they will be less eager to prolong the conflict through endless supply of weapons, and more eager to push for swift end to the conflict through diplomatic means.

Exactly, inflation and oil prices were already rising pre invasion, and most people were aware of that and didnt blame it on the invasion. An oil embargo will push prices outside of Russia for oil much higher, and people will realise that those increases are self-inflicted.

Feel free to go digging for any predictions you say I made, I dont recall that but it could well be true. I think you made predictions that the Russian war machine was due to collapses months ago also - these predictions are forgotten about almost as quick as they are made. Either way its irrelevant to the point at hand.

You're completely and purposely misrepresenting my comments and other posters comments. Stop that.

Seeing as you are failing to comprehend basic sentences, I will spell it out for you.

The EU were the ones who started the using energy as a weapon when they started banning imports of fuel to damage the Russian economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Sure. It's likely people will increasingly lose interest and/or want an end to the conflict as costs hit our pockets.

But so far, two and a half months in, we are still showing more resolve and more sanctions than the Russians ever envisioned or banked on. I'm pretty impressed with the relative EU, NATO and global solidarity on this so far.

I also think the weaning off of Russian supplies will become permanent for most countries, and in terms of economic impact, I'd rather be a German this christmas than a Russian.

There is almost no Russian oil coming into Europe and a ban isn't going to significantly alter the price fundamentals. It is, as it so happens, the distillates coming from Russian refineries which are a bigger problem but not an insurmountable one and again, very few people are doing business with Russia anyway.

There is no desire in Europe to re-engage with Russia and I think you are vastly underestimating people if you think they will do a complete about-face on this.

The EU were the ones who started the using energy as a weapon when they started banning imports of fuel to damage the Russian economy.

Russian energy imports would have been removed one way or another. The sanctions merely put it on a legal footing and potentially speed it up. No one wants to do business with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

A long time ago I read a James Michener book about the Hungarian uprising of 1958. Anybody who has ever read a Michener book knows the extraordinary detail he goes into. Whilst every book or history you might read will display the opinions or prejudices of the author the detail and facts cannot really be obscured by factual history. Hungary like any nation is complex, but being Irish a quote from that book stuck with me always "Hungarians friends call them the Irish of the East, and their enemies refer to them as The Prussians of the Balkans".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Hungarian Uprising was 1956 - Oct 23 to Nov 11. The Russian tanks rolled in and it was all over. Many Hungarians took the opportunity to escape across the border.

Some escaped to Ireland - I knew the son of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Field east

Is the average EU citizen not prepared to take a little ‘pain when one considers the unbearable pain being experienced by the majority of the 40 million UKranians - or is it a case of ‘ oh, I agree that it should be done but ‘ not in my back yard’ syndrome being alive and well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I think most people in Western Europe realise that Putin is an existential threat. If Putin could kill us he would. He is killing people just like us currently in Ukraine. If Ukraine falls he is on to the next country. He will go all the way to the Atlantic if he could. That is his doctrine. The Alexander Dugan doctrine so beloved of Putin. In Britain in the run up to world war 2 public opinion was a step ahead of the government and chamberlain in recognising the danger of Hitler and people wanted him stopped despite all the hardship they knew that would bring. Don’t underestimate peoples fortitude when it comes to rejecting tyranny. There is centuries of history of resistance to tyranny in Western Europe in far more trying circumstances than we are currently enduring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

A lot of people here are trying to debate the issue in a reasonable way. I realise that can be difficult, but please do the same.

This type of comment, which seems designed to try to shut down debate, is of no help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Oil is not a problem. Coal neither. Good alternative supplies globally.

Gas is a big fúcking problem, excuse my language, because of geopolitically insane German (and Italian and Austrian) policy over last 30 years. This is going to hurt but the sooner it's solved the better.

Russia doesn't belong into Europe (culturally, politically or socially) or into rule based international order and Europe needs to fully detach from it.

Great opportunity to speed up EU transformation into modern green economy, renewables, massive energy saving programmes, solar panels everywhere etc. It sorts both the Russian (and Middle Eastern) problem as well as the climate problem.

Now, in terms of hydrocarbons and energy - there's no easy moral choice here - everything has a karma baggage.

Options:

Russian hydrocarbons - we see that, fascist despotic imperialists, bad for the environment, bad

Middle East hydrocaebons - supporting despotic backward regimes, bad for the environment, bad (who's worse Iran or the Saudis?)

Nuclear - spent fuel storage, expensive, bad

Fracking hydrocarbons - environmentally problematic, also bad

Renewables - needs a lot of effort, expensive, bad...

For me - maximum renewables, nuclear and a balanced mix of hydrocarbons from multiple locations (bar Russia) is the only way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Great article.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/05/putin-speech-ukraine-invasion-soviet-union/629825/

It describes similar stories I'd heard from my mother and grandmother about how "well behaved" the Russian "liberators" were back in 1945. They stole, looted stuff, brought horses to the villa my grandparents lived in, never saw a proper house with modcons in a European city in a developed country. Their horses made a mess, they made a mess, and behaved like occupants not liberators. And they stole what they could. Uncivilised, primitive boors.

My mother was 4 years old when the country was "liberated" in April/May 1945 (it was an occupation, if course).

As far as I can tell, the Russian army behaves the same today, nothing has changed since then.

Post edited by McGiver on

Most people are far more selfish than you think. They will support taking action against Russia and backing Ukraine so long as it doesnt cost us anything practically, but as soon as the repercussions begin to be felt, the backtracking starts and the complaining comes.

All politics are local, and for most people their immediate area and immediate quality of life far outranks any tragedy that may be going on 100 or 1000s of km away. Unless the EU can keep oil prices stable through subsidies or by getting a great deal elsewhere, expect many citizens to be unhappy with the unions decision to embargo Russia

I agree the gas situation is a huge problem, and is the result of decades of stupid european policy not just with gas, but with most resources. The idea that we should not produce/secure our own but instead import the cheapest from elsewhere, is really coming home to roost now. Right now its Russian oil/gas/fertiliser/rare earths, next it could be China and the worlds factory

Article is behind a paywall. Is 195bn per annum or a one off cost? What timescale are they talking about?

Does that include higher prices domestically to be paid by consumers?

Most people are far more selfish than you think. They will support taking action against Russia and backing Ukraine so long as it doesnt cost us anything practically, but as soon as the repercussions begin to be felt, the backtracking starts and the complaining comes.

Well let's see...

Support for sanctions against Russia following its attack on Ukraine is also very high. 80% of respondents approve of economic sanctions against Russia. 79% of Europeans are in favor of sanctions against Russian oligarchs.

People want help with the cost of living increases. They don't want to restart business with Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm prepared to pay extra for diesel and home heating oil for what is going on. we've sown extra veg in our garden this year to try and cut our food costs

its not ideal, but what is going on over there is immoral

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think we've seen this level of public support for a crisis in decades and goes far beyond hashtags and empty social media avatar changes. I think it's presumptive to assume the public's patience for sanctions would wear thin so quickly. Aside from anything else, it's not like the continent shouldn't be transitioning away from oil and gas anyway - this could be the bump needed. Electric car sales here in the next few months should be fascinating. Ukraine has woken many up to the realities of turning a blind eye to regressive regimes for the sake of some fossil fuels we have limited supply of.

As to the whole "oil prices are caused by the war", the usually quality YT channel Wendover disagrees and made a pretty compelling (albeit America centric) argument why it's an incorrect conclusion...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

But you must understand that building new infrastructure like gas terminals and hammering out new deals can't be done overnight.

It's not ordering pizza from a different takeaway ferchrissakes.

Anyone on this thread who maintains that gas can be gotten somewhere else cheap and easy is either not in possession of their entire faculties or deliberately misrepresenting the facts.

Yes we want to boycott russian FCUKING gas. No it doesn't happen overnight

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Advertisement