Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

I agree with the generic pop rubbish we have been sending recently. The audience sees it is a desperate poor imitation of the pop singers of today and votes accordingly. Interestingly last time we tried traditional Irish was in 2007 with Dervish. Failed miserably. 2007 however is in famous for the political bloc voting. The top 10 that year were all east european countries. Sweden, Germany, France and the like threatened to withdraw in 2008 if the voting wasn’t changed and that is why the juries were brought back the following year. We have always done best when we send a proper well thought out song with real depth and emotion. Ryan O’Shaughnessy’s song in 2018 for example. As others have said if you send a good song at least if you don’t qualify you can say well we gave it a good try. It’s embarrassing that a country famous for storytelling and it’s music is sending crap American pop. We should try sending a song as Gaeilge next year. 54 entries and only once have we sung in Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,700 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Quite possibly one of my favorate Eurovision songs of the last 20 years. Last year I got a new sound bar and subwoofer combo in time for the final and the difference hearing this song with a thump was night and day.

It's out and out techno, and it's a fcuking belter.

Ukraine have shown last year (and since the war started thanks to the twitter videos of them blowing Russian stuff up) that they have a serious electronic music scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Jedward with Lipstick was the only thing we have sent in the last 10 years that I think got the spirit of the show. Camp, catchy and silly but not full on insulting Dustin silly. I feel if you are not going down that route you need to go the real serious route like the French and Swiss last year or take a gamble on an established music genre not typically Eurovision like Italy or Ukraine last year.

What you don't want is to be a "sound like" famous person or last year's winner.

It didn't sound great as it's not her style but the lead singer recently sang "Imagine" before a Serie A soccer match which was pretty sad given current events.

Was good to see she got out at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair point. Lots of 'sounds like famous people' acts got through last year. Malta was good. But none of them were in the top few.

• Advertisement

I know people said Barbara Pravi sounded like Edith Piaf but I think it's ok when it's something from that long ago. I'm actually surprised half the field didn't think "rock band" this year.

It might be long enough now that we could send something The Voice or Riverdancey and it would be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Post edited by squarecircles on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

THIS IS YOUR FIVE MINUTE WARNING!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

5 minutes to showtime. What’s the feeling? I think we won’t make it but we won’t come last. Probably around 13th or 14th. Unfortunately we are 10th in the running so almost slap bang in the middle. Unless our song is memorable I feel it will get lost and be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭jaffa20

We're performing 10th...doesn't seem like a good spot.

• Advertisement

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It is actually (apparently)...I think first act after a break

“We’ve got Irish begrudgery…”

I have a sneaking suspicion we might just make it in like 10th place (hopefully...I got us at 5-1)....this semi not quite as strong as semi 1.

I also have a few euro on Czech republic to top 10 (along with Norway and Netherlands)

This is a tik tok thing I am guessing....(my name is cheeky?!)

Janelle Monae wondering where all her backing dancers are tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I wonder does any other country give their entry as much hate as Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Ah jaysus, sure they all will be making a cupán tae!

Nice try Mika, I’m still not a fan of Norway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They got a goth lady to present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,846 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Australia and UK voting tonight that might help us.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

**** it I know I say I won’t watch it but I always do. Or at least Irelands attempt to qualify for the final and Marty throwing a wobbler when we don’t.

Whoever is vocalist for Nightwish this week looking good.

Exactly.

It was the best of the options on the late late. She is hugely likeable, the song is a wee bit dated but we have sent a lot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Settling in for my first viewing this year.

I only heard Sweden (good as always) and Ukraine (so so). I hope Ukraine don't win because of the war. Back in 1993, common sense prevailed, with Bosnia in Millstreet. But we seem to have lost common sense over 3 decades.

Ireland, I've heard, we need a bit of luck!

Would a VPN....let me vote for Ireland....I wonder...

Mmm…well, I COULD vote.

*leans back onto chaise lounge like Emperor Nero*

Peel me a grape, and I’ll think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

That's the most yellow I've ever seen, brighter than any daffodil. Blu background and Ukrainian flag I presume.

The contrast with the crimson dress is good.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Loved 'In The Shadows' in 2004, forgot they even existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,302 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hang on since when has the quality of the song mattered at all recently ?

Advertisement