Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interesting take on the recent vid from the Chinese state reporter(well aren't they all...) showing the russian tank attempting near earth orbit with its turret.

If confirmed that it happened where it did(deep in Russian "held" territory) that must surely put the serious fear into the Russian forces and command.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Ukranian Emergency Services An-26 currently flying in Ukranian airspace with its Transponder ON! Surprisingly.

So surprised that crowd would criticise anything with a Democrat in the President's office. 🤣

Yeah there's been a growing mismatch the last week to 10 days between the large-scale maps and reports. Looking at the map on the BBC site you'd think aside from the fuckers north of Kyiv leaving there'd been next to no Ukrainian gains at all. Which may even be the case but things have been feeling a bit like they're just not tallying. May be mostly or partly down to reducing information flow while on the offence of course.

Lost a couple of quoted posts but I think one was @Wibbs and talking about how the Russians may rise up. I can't remember your overall conclusion but do you think you may be over-crediting Russian living standards? Out East they have communal toilets. They're the kinds of shitholes the soldiers come from, and also the kind of places they're in the middle of abducting 1000s of Ukrainians to. Was it hundreds of thousands or millions of Russians who left when the war kicked off? That's a sizeable chunk of their middle class straightaway. Economy gets fucked, instantly a smaller bourgeoisie to placate. :P I dunno, they seem to be accepting it so far and organised opposition these days is harder if anything for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭briany

I remember when people were saying Russia only had enough money to prosecute the war until the end of week two or whatever it was, some time in early March. Point is that predictions seem to be all over the place with this. I have said that I can't see how Russia can mount a sustained war effort given the losses they appear to have been taking, and, indeed, the increasing sanctions the country is coming under (the oil/gas embargo from the EU sounds like it ought to be a significant hit to Russian finances), but experts are also saying that they expect the war to now last well into the Summer. The opinion now seems to be forming that the most likely outcome over the coming months is one of protracted stalemate and what looks to me like a much bloodier version of the Donbass conflict that had been festering for the last nearly a decade.

Can the Ukrainians make breakthroughs and recapture territory that's been sitting under brutal Russian occupation? I absolutely hope they can, but I don't think they'll be as bloody-minded about doing so as the Russians. If the Russians find that they're running out of the weapons and will to launch effective offense, I would expect they'll switch to a defensive mindset and try to pick off Ukrainian forces as they attempt to push further into the Donbass or maybe even Crimea. If Putin's not willing to simply walk away from this war but cannot gather the necessary resources to subjugate Ukraine, it would make sense for him to try and bleed Ukraine white, just as Ukraine has been doing to Russia.

It's this awful tit for tat that I worry about the most where you hear on the news about offensives being waged by Ukraine and tows/villages liberated, but little ever seems to really change on the conflict map. Both countries need something extra to really take control of the course of this conflict, but what's it going to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

The very rare TU-154 took off from Belgorod airport just over the border from Kharkiv. This airframe RA-85843 is usually seen following and supporting Putins presidential aircraft when he visits abroad.

Here it is pictured in Holland supporting Putins visit there a few years ago.

What fact,that you hate the west and its freedoms or just whataboutism because you feel lonely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That claim doesn't really make sense, that they're taking components from appliances and using them to repair tanks. Are their production, logistics and supply lines that good that systems have been redesigned to use commercial parts, been shipped to the front line, and installed in tanks all in the space of a few months? More likely they've been using non-mil qualified parts all along. Quite often the commercial parts are identical to the military grade, just they'd be better tested and might be packaged differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

It does not help when the turrets are just resting on roller /ball bearings on top of the main frame . They depend on sheer weight to keep them in place. And maybe some of the ammunition is stored in them as well. They are turned by a relatively small but powerful electric motor which engages in a much larger ring gear set within the turret itself, it works the very same as the ring gear on a car flywheel, when turned by the starter motor, but thats the only contact the turret has with the main body.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭jackboy

Ukraine have something extra, unlimited free state of the art equipment from the west along with all the intelligence.

The timings and outcomes are down to the west now. Russia can be thrown out of Ukraine if the west decide that is appropriate. I suspect they won’t go that far. When Russia is weakened to an acceptable agree the west will organise peace talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Let's address this.

Firstly, are you suggesting the russia have it's nuclear weapons removed, it's conventional forces lessened and be told that if they do anything to change that, they'd be nuked as "containment". Is that what you're actually saying? Because no-one has threatened to nuke Iran or north korea. Know why? Because threatening to nuke a country is insane. Actually nuking them is worse.

Germany had great minds. And yet the nazi's still came to power. Many of those great minds were in the nazi party. And they believed germany was humiliated. And I have honestly, no idea why you're mentioning it.

Germany received massive investment, and yet still felt humiliated because other countries were dictating what it could and could not do. So no idea why you're mentioning that.

"* Germany right up to ww2 had massive trade flows, Russias already collapsing". I have absolutely no idea why you're doing this. Germany had huge trade flows until the war started. They disappeared after the war started. Russia had trade flows too, before the war. They disappeared too.

And none of what you said addresses the point that dictating stuff like no nuclear weapons. limiting conventional forces, dictating who can be in power are ways to humiliate countries. When you look at countries this has happened to in the past, it always works out bad. It breeds hatred and resentment. It can even cause an unpopular leader to become popular simply because they fight against it. It might actually make the countries fight harder to avoid domination by a foreign power. And that includes using nuclear weapons.

If we want a peaceful and friendly russia, then we have to wait for regime change from inside. Forcing it from outside simply reinforces the narrative that the other countries are enemies. And when you look at rogue nations like north korea and Iran, they still find ways, not just to keep weapons, but actually develop them from scratch, whilst having huge sanctions and keeping their population down.

So I have no problem believing that forcing russia to give up its nuclear weapons through sanctions is anything except a deluded pipedream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I had heard otherwise. Still, I'd probably be more scared of someone that would use a catapult to launch a missle ;)

(Am I right in remembering that you could do that in the game civilisation? )

Neither of those things are going to bring back ordinary Ukrainians senselessly slaughtered by the Russian military, and the occurrence of either or both will likely only pressure Putin to try and react with greater force, thus making the situation worse not better, as the conflict gets locked into a vicious cycle of escalating reprisal. Who needs to burn are the Russian soldiers themselves carrying out such deeds, and the Ukrainian military are making a pretty good go of that so far, and hopefully that can continue until there's no more fight left in the Russians and they F off back across the internationally-recognised borders, where they belong.

It's not a case of the West organising peace talks when Russia is weakened to an acceptable degree, but that Russia's only going to compromise at this point. There have already been peace talks arranged and held, but Russia wouldn't budge on their demands, thus they broke down.

There are a number of places NATO forces could go into tomorrow and drastically change the situation - North Korea, Iran, Taiwan (defensively), to name a few, but the potential ramifications of doing so make it a risk they're unwilling to take. Ukraine's just another on that list (direct confrontation with Russia), so it won't likely happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Grim stuff. But unfortunately not surprising. The longer Russians are allowed fester in an area the more cleansed of Ukrainians it becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Delighted UK has signed a security pact with Finland and Sweden. Clever tactic to call his bluff. He's mouthed threats against it. Now it's his move. Fcuk him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

It's perhaps not that surprising. The Russians are on record as having brought dedicated Tank mechanics with them to Ukraine. I reckon that also includes guys who are experienced in electronics where needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

That’s the long foreign policy game, have a weaker Russia so they would not be involved in whatever confrontation hot or cold I’d coming twix US and China.

Unfortunately for Ukraine and it citizens there at the cold fromt

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Another day , another Russian ship ,

The Vsevolod Bobrov a Russian navy supply and logistics vessel(one of their latest) is or was on fire off the coast of Ukraine after being stuck by the Ukrainans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A thread of hope at Kyiv train station.

• Advertisement

A rare example of a good job by the UK Civil Service. It's as if they only allow the smart ones to make decisions when they're actually important. 😅

Not one bit surprised. The same happened in Crimea.

When you consider the actions of the military. Well they didn't lick it off a stone.

Russia is making alot of artificial reefs these days in the black sea

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

Lovely scene.

Maybe someone with (military) expertise could answer this. The UA trains are normally blue and yellow in colour, and later in the video there is one that is. Any reason why this train would be stripped of colour?

Great to see. Seems a bit intrusive/voyeuristic, but good to humanise what this invasion is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Nothing to do with military matters. That looks like a Hyundai-Rotem HR-CRS2 trainset. Ten of these were ordered to provide modern rail services during Euro 2012. These trains are painted in a two-tone grey paint scheme.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH I'd pretty much agree with all of that CHBS. I'm very much against painting an entire people as "orcs" and other retarded jingoisms just because they're Russian and there are Russians who don't buy the bullshít, a fair number I'd be willing to bet, but cowed into silence by understandable fear of the facist state they live under. And as we've seen even then there are some bloody brave buggers who won't remain silent. Bravery I'd further bet few of the shoutier on this thread could muster. Even so their overall actions as a nation don't exactly help. At all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,922 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement

Aye Button, that's an issue alright. Too many of those who would and could rise up were in the west of the nation and have left or are planning to. The brain drain is scarily high. That said and because I do know, have known, a few Russians, even from the "back of beyond", or at least in the urban back of beyond, their living standards are fairly OK. Their access to world media, if they choose to look at it, pretty high. Take this young lass whose Tube channel was referenced earlier in the thread.

She's from the "back of beyond", right beside the Chinese border IIRC. Any more east and she'd be swimming in the Pacific. Now she's naturally inquisitive about the wider world and has traveled outside Russia, to America for studies again IIRC. Even in that back of beyond she was able to learn more and learn english and get a youtube channel off the ground. There are more like her and on Telegram even more, though in Ruski. They may and do live in shítholes, but many of them know about places that aren't. Plus shítholes can have different perceptions. Yer wan above's neighbourhood looks a bit "primitive", but you find similar in Ukraine, Belarus etc and people live simpler lives. Just because they're not supporting mad loans on gaffs, new cars and the latest iphone doesn't mean their lives are crap to them. Nor does it mean they're out of the loop of the wider world if you get what I mean?

Though I have noted those with such wider connections and on the wider connected world are almost exclusively White Russians. Of the ethnic Russian folks there is little enough by comparison.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement