Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Treble double

Penalties are a silly copy cat way to settle a Gaa match. They are fine in soccer if you need a result on the day. They trialled the golden goal to avoid the lottery of penalties but scores can be very in frequent in soccer so it doesn't work.

In hurling there is a score every 2 mins and I have seen minors slapping frees over the bar from their own half. Next score wins should be the way these games are settled in the future. It would be done and dusted by the time they had the penalty takers sorted last night. It would also be very dramatic and involve the whole team.

Same for Gaelic Football it could take 10 minutes to get the golden score but what drama it would be.

Penalties are the unimaginative solution.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to respectively disagree, bringing them back for another match would have been far worse. They had played about 90 minutes of hurling, couldn't be separated so a test of skill is the fairest way to do it in my opinion, not too long ago it would have been a toss of a coin to decide who went through now at least the players decide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The problem I have is that Clare are now becoming the England of the GAA penalty scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Another thing - how many times have we heard the whole ‘ah ya of course they’d blow it up when scores are level. Grab All Association’

Pens is fine. Almost every sport has something to the extent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Far too much talk of pens here rather the performance the Clare lads put in. And tbh, they lost it in normal time when they had the numerical advantage. I thought they were savage. Given the underage scene for Clare last year, this is some huge improvement. But even that is not enough praise. Some serious talent there.

I said to a Clare man in 2013 that Tony Kelly would prove more of an inspiration for future generations for Clare than the Clare team of the 90s. And I stand by that, and that's not to discredit the 90s team. But players that capture the imagination by doing the impossible and doing it with style are worth their weight in gold for a county. And I could see in that Clare side last night, a fearless drive to try skills and shots that weren't on but just for the achievement of it. It was a joy to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The golden goal in soccer was during extra time, then if nobody scored it went to penaltys anyway.

The problem with next score wins is that a game could be won or lost on a free not given, or a soft free given, or a point that was over being waved wide etc.

At least penalties is a straight test of skill and unlikely to be controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

All those controversies you just mentioned already happen in a big percentage of games [in deciding outcomes ] up and down the country every week anyway,

Yes they do but tend to balance out over the duration of the game but if its a golden score then any decision to award a free will possibly end the match there and then.

Golden/Silver goals were shocking because teams weren't willing to take chances and were happier to goto penalties. When it was a straight knock out with a month between games having replays were fine, now however with so many games it's too much so best to finish on the day. Looking back at 95 for example Clare played on the 4th of June, 9th of July, 6th of August and 3rd of September, if any of those games finished in a draw they'd go back 2 weeks later and try again, if that was a draw then they'd come back the following week, then if that was a draw it'd be another week with the following match pushed back.

There's always a "bump" when there's a successful team, the 2013 team were babies in 95 and 97 happened, Clare winning All Ireland's wasn't a thing from previous generations, it was something that happened in their lifetime, that confidence continues on so the next generation of players now have players to look up to. It also helps that today's minors will probably play club hurling with the All Ireland winners of 2013 and will benefit from that as well.

• Advertisement

That's a fair and correct point. But I still say there was no one close to Kelly for Clare in the 90s. And it is pushing more adventurous, forward play, fearless play to try the outrageous.

Hurling back then was completely different though and different players wanted to emulate different heros, every team had their Seanie, or their Lohan or Lynch or Jamesey or Sparrow

I'm not so sure about that...

DJ Carey? Nickie English? There were players operating on different levels and doing things others couldn't. I know Nickie was more in the 80s but he was still doing ridiculous things in the early 90s.

There wasn't as much hurling on TV either, maybe 1 semi-final and the final itself was about it for live coverage, I don't think the 95 Munster Final was live on TV for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Not sure where the bump was for Wexford post 1996, or Offaly post 94-98, in fact Offaly seemed to really fall off a cliff.

Limerick have 3 AI recently but that wasn't the result of any bump, they were nowhere since the mid 1990's so built it up through underage structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Ian Galvin’s appeal was not successful, who will replace him on Sunday ? Shanaher ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

That's a shocking decision. It was hardly a yellow let alone a red. Was it O'Donoghue that "took the dive".? Not his first time doing this. Did Mark Keane appeal.? His red should be quashed too TBF. It was on the word of the umpire.

Clare got caught up trying to tap up members of the committee before the hearing and the **** hit the fan on Ian Galvin. Major balls up. That's what I read in The Examiner.

• Advertisement

Galvin ran 20 yards after the whistle was blown to get involved in something and "made contact" with an opponent in front of the ref. There was a lot of the butt of the hurley showing and he knew what he was doing, would have been an appeal very dependent on the ref's report.

For Mark Keane's appeal, I'd like to think that for a Clare center back and captain to stay on the ground for so long that it was a bad belt, Conlon for me is 1 of the most honest hurlers going and I don't think he's stay on the ground while Cork had a goal chance in the off chance of someone spotting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Jack Brown named to start, nominally at least replacing Galvin

Shane Meehan named among the subs, wonder will he feature

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

is Patrick Crotty injured or is he completely out of favour? what's going on there?

don't know anything about this lad Aiden Moriarty, anyone seen him in action?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hes very young plus he struggled against limerick in the league think it was nash marking him struggled against barrett against tipperary , no fault on either front just too much asked of a player of that age

hes going to be a serious hurler over the next ten years but patience needed for such a young lad

i was probably better positioned in the stand then the camera for galvins one , he deserved to be sent off the tv footage made it look harmless

the head of the ccc is the former wexford chairman , you probably dont need to ask too many who approached him , davey has done loads for the galvins over the years especially colm who often found himself on the wrong side of the law after the odd night out when he was younger

it happens all the time , apparently martin mchugh is the go to man if you wat about 10 red cards rescinded up north , he is second to the chair on the committee to david kent

of course we cant prove any of this we do know that fitzs fathher is the head of the clare county board , we also know wexford were not too happy about losing a manager to the cork camogie team but its a fairly good hunch 😉

That adds up alright, I'd say you're on the money there. Apart from the last bit, I don't think they lost Davy. I think his time was up. BUt maybe I'm wrong on that. Maybe they wanted to keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Another very good performance by Clare this afternoon, it was great to get a result and book a Munster final spot. Even just getting to the Munster final is huge as it will keep us on the opposite side of the draw from Limerick in the AI series.

It was great seeing Clare not just stand up to this Limerick team physically, but take the game to them at various stages too. Its great credit to the players, but also to how Lohan and his management team have coached and fostered such an honest, hardworking culture in the Clare setup. I think though the way our backline is defending right now is as good as any unit in the country. The level of play were getting from all 3 of the full back line is incredibly high.

I think it was important for this group to play Limerick today for 70 minutes and hold their own. Not take moral victories like Tipp and Waterford did just for playing Limerick for 55 minutes or whatever. But to meet the challenge and grind out a result. You could feel though today, compared to the first two rounds, just how tough and physical an opponent Limerick are. Players like Talyor, Malone and SOD who have been orchestrating our run game around midfield so well versus Cork and Tipp, were met with massive physical and relentless pressure today.. as expected. But Clare will much better for the experience today and it will stand to them. People will point to the players Limerick have coming back, but Clare are improving in each game themselves and also have some returning players too.

Just on the upcoming Waterford game, I wouldn't expect wholesale changes or anything. I think Meehan will definitely get playing time after a good impression off the bench today. Reidy and Shanagher too will also probably get gametime as they return back to full fitness. Maybe 3-4 changes max next weekend I'd say, Lohan isn't going to give a starting jersey to someone who hasn't earned it. it's still one you definitely want to win, at home, keep undefeated, plenty incentive imo.

on the waterford game , there is no hope you will see wholesale changes , we got distroyed at times by barry nash , and mike casey today , the one area of the field we were running amuck throughout the championship thus far , we need big games from o'donnell and duggan the next day ,we will have ian galvin and meehan back plus david reidy , its a good opportunity for aaron shanagher to get a deacent run too , if aaron fitz is deemed to be the first choice wing back then maybe he needs a start for ryan or david mc but nothing else changes , and we dont want to be heading into the munster final having not won any of our last two games

a big crowd next week and hopefully another win , morrissey gillane and lynch are 3 huge players to come back for limerick but our overall performance has kiely a little rattled if you ask me , bar the soft Hegarty sending off i dont think colm lyons could have done much more for limerick today , i am still a bit baffled at Kiley's demeanor in both half's today on the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah there's no doubt Gillane and O'Donovan were losses. Will Cian Lynch be back? Limerick are quite tight lipped about it, though the statement said he'd miss the Munster championship.

With that being said, I think Clare will have learned alot from today too, and I wouldn't expect us to be as reliant on Kelly like today. For example, I taught the use of Peter Duggan today was very short-sighted. It was like ok, we have a 6'5 full forward, you have 5'10 full back, lets hop on the Delorean to the 1950s and drive 80 yard balls up the field. All jokes aside though, even the odd ball Duggan did catch he was always swarmed because Limerick defensive structure is always going to be setup for that type of threat with Hannon in the pocket (Mike Casey is brilliant full back, let me give credit too). I like better how Lohan used Duggan versus Cork, moving him between the half and inside forward lines so that were not so telegraphed in our play. I think we can get more from SOD too, it seemed like he was given more of a marking role on Byrnes as opposed to being allowed to move and play his own game. Meehan is going to be a big addition for Clare too, he was very good when he came on, and has that goal thread were lacking a bit. Looking forward to watching him versus Waterford.

I think Clare are in a very good position. Were in a Munster final, playing well, consistently, with no huge levels of expectation. Were humming alot nicely with more in this team and players to come back. It's great to see the public rowing in behind this team and management too. I'm really enjoying our championship journey so far.

Advertisement