Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

To me Ireland's problems at modern Eurovision began in 2001, when following Gary O'Shaughnessy's poor result, Ireland had to miss the 2002 contest as there was no semifinal back then. When we returned in 2003, instead of having a National Song Contest, RTE tacked representing Ireland at ESC as the prize for winning You're a Star. After that failed, the tried having a selected artist sing songs on the Late Late, then we sent Dustin the Turkey, followed by Jedward, followed by consecutive no qualifications. Any half decent result was followed by disasters;

10TH 2006, LAST IN 2007

8TH in 2011, 19TH in 2012, last in the final in 2013 , followed by 4 consecutive NQs

16th in 2018 followed by 2 last place NQs in 2019 and 2021. Now we've also NQ in 2022

We haven't been able to build any sustained momentum, become respected again. People both within Ireland and outside now automatically expect us to fail miserably. Brooke was last in the SF2 Qualification odds until rehearsals began. Eurovision has become dirty word in the Irish music industry, whereas years ago big names in the Irish music scene would put themselves forward - Sean Dunphy, Dicky Rock, Red Hurley, The Swarbriggs, Liam Reilly and so on.

I don't know how RTE can improve things or even if they want to.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it needs something to intise people.

Maybe a cash prize.

We need to get better people involved than former boy band members for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Grand final running order!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

• Advertisement

It was a very mediocre song. We needed huge luck to qualify. You have to be memorable.

Many times over the years I've seen songs like Serbia get through. Why? Because if 8/10 can't stand it, it doesn't matter. All you need to do is really hit the other 2/10 strong enough that they'll go to the bother of voting. Serbia had something that made it unique.

If you're in Germany say, would you be bothered texting a vote for Ireland tonight. I don't think it had anything that would make you vote over other songs.

Also this Eastern European block voting doesn't hold up. It will help you qualify, and move up a few positions in the final. But I'll go through what won over the last 16 years or so that were traditional Eurovision Western European countries like us. And it proves if the song is good enough you don't have to be a slavic state with a lot of neighbours.

Finland-Lordy 2006

Norway-Alexander Rybak 2009

Germany-Lena 2010

Sweden-Loreen 2012

Denmark- Emilie de Forest 2013

Austria- Conchita 2014

Sweden-Heroes 2015

Portugal-Salvador Sobral 2017

The Netherlands- Duncan Lawrence 2019

Italy-Maneskin 2021

Ten out of the last 15 or so Eurovisions were won by the old 'traditional' Eurovision countries pre 1990. What's the common denominator? Mostly very good songs. So much for Eastern European dominance. That's clichéd bollox you hear from someone who watches the competition every 5 years and is saying the same thing since 2005.

Post edited by _NAGDEFY on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

That's the problem. We need to send professionals. Brooke seems like a nice person but she is a receptionist for an estate agent who sings in her spare time. It's like sending a few league of Ireland lads to the world cup. They will give it a go and be all excited, bless them, but at the end of the day the real professionals from the other nations will kick their ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Pat Shortt must have been in the audience, that’s why the decibel levels went up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭reniwren

There are 3 things missing as usual. Production, dynamics and someone who can sing the notes which have been recorded.

Fair play for her for giving it a go, but songs which are going for this need to be written by people who don't listen to the generic sh1t shoved down our throats on Irish radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Some of the comments following Ireland’s NQ are pathetic but this one takes the biscuit. Taking a swipe at the contestant themselves that stood up, got picked and did a great job for us. There is nothing more Brooke could have done, her delivery was excellent and she performed extremely well while doing tricky choreography moves in front of an audience of millions. I don’t like her song but fair dues to her for what she did last night, it was the best performance in years from Ireland. We could and should easily have qualified especially over Romania, Serbia and Azerbaijan which was absolutely rubbish.

To me it seems this year, the jury’s are playing a big role in who’s getting through which is why the final will have a lot of folk and ballad type songs. It might be time to send an actual good song & a capable vocalist and worry a bit less about staging and gimmicks. Norway can get away with it as they’ve had some very good entries in the last number of years. If Ireland fail to qualify with an actual good act like say the U.K. are sending, then it’s time to consider our position at Eurovision. Until then, we cannot have much to complain about with what we’re sending.

It’ll be interesting to see the results when they’re published as to how the vote actually went last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Any love for a complete change up and send a rap/hip-hop/grime type song?

Never see it in Eurovision really. Might be a reason we don’t but I’d like to see it if it was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My gawd. Get off your high horse.

The irony of someone accusing an entire country of looking down their noses at the Eurovision by themselves looking down their nose at people's other interests.

It's only the Eurovision. A bit of craic once a year, with the breakdown of the final results, and the identity of the winner, quickly forgotten by the bulk of the populace inside a month. I openly admit to only tuning in, when I can, to gawk at the European hotties.

Those sort of people that brand themselves as 'Eurovision experts' are the same reason why such god awful, gutter tv shows (Love Island etc.) have such good ratings. It's simply low brow television. There is nothing cultural about it at all.

The bastion that is the Eurovision! Sure look ar our two most famous former winners, Logan and Martin. Two absolute divas that haven't really matured.

But hey at least a possible Ukraine win will stick it to Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

We should use the fact that nobody likes the UK and send someone to sing come out ye black and tans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Brooke missed loads of notes. And she husks her voice at the start whennahes on the floor, to the point that that some of the words are inaudible.

It was shite from start to finish. It had a mildly catchy bit in the chorus, but that's it. Only the biggest eurovsion fans in this thread will remember it this time next year.

I'm sure she's a sound woman and at a house party she's probably a good singer. Nowhere near professional singing. And her acting is terrible, stage presence, horrible American accent and dancing were all dreadful. It was poor. Maybe it could have squeeked through in 10th, bit it didn't and that's fair. Ireland has nothing to complain about. The event itself will be no poorer for their absence.

Looking forward to Saturday now. Couple of lads coming over for Leinster at 3 and the rest arriving for Eurovision party at 6. Everyone's picked a country to cook their national food, so we've got food coming from all over europe and a bit of craic.

Looking forward to it.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Belgium and Germany have rap this year and they are certainly not the first.

The Italy last year had a rap sectioning the middle. That wasn't a problem for them. Ireland has no culture of rap though. I don't trust we'd do it well. Just a bit of craic so no harm trying it to see if it's good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,702 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And no doubt she’ll shoehorn in the fact that she is a previous winner…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If we have someone who can rap and write a good song i'de be up for it. Nothing should be off the table.

Dustin the Turkey has done more damage to Ireland’s reputation at Eurovision than you think…

• Advertisement

Check out this excellent documentary shown on BBC Four a few years ago, all about Denniz Pop and the team he put together at Cherion…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Ahh yea, that was bad. We were bested again.

What’s another year (or decade).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭ebbsy

How was the song chosen this time ? Is that the problem.

For such a musically gifted nation we sure do send some Turkeys. Its amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,925 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Rte big wigs shortlist....

Then mix of public vote and jury (including an international one).

Before public vote I am pretty sure Brooke was losing.

It was the best of a bad bunch on the show imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

No singer/song writer with an ounce of self respect wants anything to do with the Eurovision. You're forever tarred with that brush thereafter and by and large forgotten about even after winning it. No cash prize is going to change that.

This Brooke one sounded like a cat howling singing a song that a group of 8 year old girls would knock together in an evening. Even calling the girl a singer is a bit of a stretch. She works full-time as a secretary for an estate agent and really hasn't pursued any sort of music career since the voice because she's not good enough for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ah jesus, I loved Belgium's song, but that wasn't Rap. That was Pop, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

great to see that annoying guy Rory O'Neill didn't get the gig so. Probably the fact he shat himself giving the results on the late late cost him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I made a joke yesterday that Europe didn't like us because of our tax haven status but maybe there's something in that, that we get favourable treatment from the EU. Maybe we're not as liked as much as we'd like to think we are.

The "not on mainland europe" or "eastern european countries voting for themselves" thing doesn't stand up to the test when fcuking Australia get through!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Money talks.

Songwriter for the Rasmus song included Desmond Child.

One of the songs on late late had members of the coronas and picture this as writers (not a fan of either but picture this in particular have a huge following).

Advertisement