Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They won't be rushing back to Brazil anyway, its economy is in a bad way currently.

The economic picture isn't exactly rosy in Australia either and it's also getting harder to get into for those looking for working visas.

You'll always have emigration to a certain extent, but it's not like previous times - like 2008 - where our economy had fallen off a cliff edge and remained depressed for years whilst other economies bounced back quickly. Australia is facing the same challenges as we are, arguably worse if China goes into a major recession as it will collapse commodity prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,385 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

@Sammy2012 Surprised to hear that, we are with BOI and broke out of fixed, upped our payments , changed the term of the mortgage and finally re-fixed for 5 years at a higher monthly overall amount to shorten the term futher but leave us a buffer if need after the five years. All that took about four weeks. Though calling their support number always included a 30 min or so wait. The paperwork was very straightforward.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

an uncle of mine went sale agreed on a house in Dublin 9 in the past week , three bed semi , 487 k , insane price for a very average house , its just nuts out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

The war in ukraine will put a stop on things. Fuel is vastly more expensive than it has ever been before - a few thousand per annum added to your commute bill is a multiple of that out of your housing budget. Plus inflation generally running at 7 or 8 %. Of course interest rises are the biggest difficulty; but several factors coming together can kill the market.

Actually, the market stagnated from 2006. It didn't start falling immediately, of course, and you are right, in Dublin it fell until 2012; later elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Very true, I remember one of the uber-bears suddenly turned around in 2012 - about a year into the FG-led government - and called the bottom of the market. He was right, because a lot of measures were put in place to support the market by that government. I got the impression that he was well-placed to have an ear to the ground.

By that logic, you must think SF had something to do with the crash in 2008?

I think you might be mixing up two different things - the size of the market, and the price of the goods.

"The arse fell out of the market" to most people means that there was little or no market any more - people weren't selling, or people weren't buying. In 2006/7/8, it was a lack of buyers. This logically means that prices drop until they reach a level where people are willing to buy again. With a highly illiquid product like housing, this takes time. Most property owners try to wait the crash out, and only sell if needs must.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭toyotatommy

The person or people who bought it are nuts to have paid that amount. They are only contributing and worsening the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Please read my post again.

It's the ridiculous excessive bids that have started to pull back.

It won't affect a regular house in Dublin 15 yet. But it's the start of it.

Prices will not collapse, but the market will soften. The easy cash is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

There will always be areas of high demand that will maintain the pricing. However, developers are pulling back on new builds as material prices are crazy. That means fewer new builds. However if the banks get spooked, they’ll pull anchor and the prices will fall. Hard to know what will happen but houses are definitely once again way over priced. I hope we don’t see another generation consigned to huge mortgage payments on houses that were never worth what they paid for them. Sadly I fear that will happen again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There's a lot of info missing as to whether it is worth it or not. That's not even near the top of the prices for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Yes its definitely a slow process in my experience anyway. But the staff on the home mortgage helpline couldn't be more helpful I have to say. And the waiting time on the phone isn't that long. Usually calls answered within 10 minutes. We will have it all sorted by next week hopefully as they told me to email in all the forms required together so there wont be further delays so plan to do this over the weekend. Can forget about it then for another 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Family member is working on building sites at the moment. He was saying that a lot of plumbers and electricians have very little to do but it's due to shortage of materials. There is a shortage of sanitary items for bathrooms and also wires and other things electricians use. So even though new builds are continuing they can't be finished due to supply issues. My local town has many estates under construction at the moment and plans for many more in the next couple of years but shortage of materials are having a huge impact.

House prices often rise in tandem with inflation

SF weren't in government back then so you're point is bogus

My point was based on SF leading the next government which they likely will

It is for this part of D9, its not Drumcondra or Glasnevin, Beaumont

You could spend 50 k making it reasonably ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I can tell you plenty of stories of people in bidding wars over the last few years. Some dropped out because they didnt want to pay more than a certain amount over asking. They are still looking now and are looking at smaller houses for higher proices than even what beat them out the last time.

Some paid way over asking and put their bid way up to secure a house. They are quite happy now to be in their own house and out of renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Supply is difficult to understand as a factor in prices dropping, and I would love to hear from anyone who knows what they are talking about here.

Sure it drives prices up, no doubt about that as multiple people bid on whats available, but the lack of supply existed the last time property prices started to tumble, viewings had big numbers, people were queuing overnight to get deposits on, bidding wars were common yet outside factors caused prices to fall and the ‘crash’ happened even though supply was as bad or worse than it is now, the ghost estates came later long after prices started to fall.

So as some people have said here prices wont crash as supply still cant match demand and wont for sometime, but supply drives increases in prices not necessarily decreases in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

There was enough supply in 08, people were buying 2 or 3 homes, you would buy one and then flip it in less than a year and profit the increase in price. Pure pyramid scheme stuff, always reliant on price always going up. There was ample supply for the people who actually needed homes, the problem then was there was so much cheap money floating around that the demand for houses went up - people wanted to buy far more than they needed as investments and to flip.

That is not the case now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The cheap money doesnt exist now to the extent that it did alright and the central bank rules should make any fall less significant than before. I reckon for all the critics of the current rules they will in time have to change their tune, but supply was an issue back then, bidding wars were common, people bought off plan for crazy money, people slept in their cars over night to get houses are they were released in new estates. The lack of supply was definitely a factor in driving prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The central banks LTI rules are the only thing saving us from a complete nightmare property bubble of catastrophic proportions. Anyone giving out about not being able to borrow enough due to LTI should be grateful - its themselves who are protected from mortgage default.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's worth remembering that people in their late 20s and early 30s now were barely out of nappies when the bubble burst. It's 14-15 years ago. The nuances of the amount of cash that was flowing around and the amount of money banks were willing to throw at people, won't have been obvious to them. So now all they see is a central bank standing their way and being miserly with lending.

The rest of us remember seeing friends and colleagues taking out interest-only mortgages on properties based on nothing more than the expected rental income, and lending at 5-6 times income causing house prices to skyrocket.

As insane as prices are now, loose lending rules would be a disaster. Dublin would be approaching California levels of madness with bog standard 3-beds in the suburbs going for €1m.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

I don't see it, they just keep going up and up where we are. And the stock is of poor quality. High price for very standard housing which needs work. It's hopeless for us at this stage. Seriously considering giving up the job and having 1 person working and moving back in with the folks for a year or 2. No chance if building either, too much red tape. Welcome to Ireland 2022, where young Irish people are held in nothing but Contempt by their own government. Too much leftist nonsense going on. The only thing that remains soft in housing is the housing that is being bought and given over to social housing, paid for by those who have no right to it, the rest of us keep having the ladder pulled up just enough that it's bottom rung is just slightly out of reach. The more you save the more the price goes up. It's tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Wage inflation will increase lending amounts, increasing house prices.

I dont really see anything bar, mass job losses causing prices to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's it in a nutshell for me....single, 37, not a hope of purchasing a property I'd say. I've saved and saved for years, always missing the boat when it comes to being able to afford one and now that I have a sizeable deposit, it's still not enough as prices are beyond my reach again. Soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

I've read your "solution" many times, you seem to think that more debt is the solution, I disagree and will not be drawn I to an argument with you.leftist nonsense is what I said and leftist nonsense is what I meant, most people know what I mean by that statement, I'm not too worried whether you do or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yes, rising public debt is the only solution here, as its clearly obvious, private debt/credit has catastrophically failed.

so again, what leftist nonsense/policies? baring in mind most governments in ireland and in many other countries have been primarily more conservative aligned...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I agree that the state/government is too left wing economically, we still have the xmas bonus for long term welfare FFS. But, I don't get the complaint about government holding young people in contempt. What do you mean? If you are expecting the government to help you out, it seems a bit, I dunno ... Leftist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement