Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principal Officer competition 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ahell

No word on stage 2 as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 May Day

I have no idea how long this process actually takes, but it is not swift!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mattell

I got in the 60s so first batch BUT I had awful trouble with the application form. Couldn't cut and paste and couldnt see what I had written. It was a nightmare so unfortunately I think I will be shortlisted out 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

It's disgraceful that in this day and age PAS can get away with the disaster of a PDF application form they still use. Usually changed slightly between different competitions so you have to start a fresh one with each new application. No reason whatsoever that they couldn't use a fully online application form that's part of your profile, like, I dunno, any modern recruitment company... Well - "We've always done it this way!" 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I've always assumed it's deliberate.

They get huge numbers applying, many of whom are totally unsuitable.

Making the application form time consuming and annoying puts a price on applying. It causes people to give up and weed themselves out of the running. I'm sure it does put off some good candidates but it probably puts off even more bad candidates.

. . . if one was to be cynical, it probably puts off more good private sector applicants than good public sector applicants. Public sector applicants are well used to the forms, no matter how annoying and awkward. Public sector applicants also tend to build up a bank of answers close enough to what's needed to be adjusted quickly. Private sector applicants are less familiar with the form and typically don't have that bank of answers to hand. If one wanted to keep the "open" comps as closed as possible, then a set of time consuming, maddening, long and awkward application forms would be an excellent first step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

• Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDoRonRonRon

Stage 2 results are out. A straightforward scoring of the competencies on the form with a minimum pass score in each case. Who knows what Stage 3 will be!

Total shock to see that results of stage 2 are out and we didn't do any thing 😂 through to stage 3 but no idea if I did well or not or what is coming next!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat_Mc

Well done all so far. What were the marks like on the application forms? Got in the 30s..

• Advertisement

2 High 30s and 2 low 40s. Im not sure that the marks matters though it seems that you either passed or didn't. Though I'm not very familiar with the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

Got through to Stage 3 also. Wonder if they will continue with recorded video, traditional interview and case study. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through after this shortlisting.

Invited to stage 3 which is an interview in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mugser11

Received interview date in May. - stage 3. I wonder will there be anything else after that.

My interview is early June. Will be interested to see if there will be another stage after that. Maybe they will decide after all the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat_Mc

My interview june as well says final stage

The additional information says its the final stage....i wonder are there many people through for interview.

I just read the interview material. Delighted to see that this is the final stage. It's all or nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

So is this what happened, the first 243 from stage 1 competition were then shortlisted based on their form and those successful have been given interview dates

The remaining batches will then be informed of the shortlisting results when batch 1 has been exhausted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Wow, that certainly is different! And somewhat refreshing! No video interview, no simulated job exercise, no presentation... just interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Is it an in-person Chapter House interview? Or do you have the choice to do it online?

@druss it's virtual, no choice.

Wonder how many of the 243 were shortlisted. Has anybody heard of someone who didnt get through to interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

It is pretty rigorous, they use the competencies as a reference for shortlisting. I would say about half get through, from this remaining 120, I would say 80ish will interview others will pull out. From interview, 40 (probably less, more like 30-35) will panel.

Out of the people who panel, maybe 2/3 will accept an offering.

Lot of factors why people refuse - location, job offer, realisation that it is a poxy job and you can be up in front of some committee, with some clown of a politician trying to make a name for themselves (depends on where you are put, imagine being the PO in charge of finding accommodation for the unfortunate Ukrainian refugees, you along with the A/sec will defo be making an appearance at some committee sideshows!!!). Also it is not a lot of extra cash compared to AP1. The work load dramatically increases from AP to PO, again depends on where you are. If your in social welfare, forget it. You could get a handy gig in environment or communications, but unlikely! Usually the jobs being filled are the ones nobody wants!!

Applicants from private sector use this process as a tool to get more money or promotion in their existing job.

I would say that if you are in first 1000, you will be assessed for stage 2. Competitions usually run for minimum 2 years.

Finally, you don't want to be in batch 1, these are generally very good candidates. It is hard to place as generally candidates are compared to each other for being put on panel or not.

Batch 3 is where you want to be, shine like a star towards the back of the pack!!

Be careful what you wish for!! Good luck to you all

Has anybody gotten more info yet on the interview/panel etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Witco

Hi APparently, nothing received on the panel yet. When do they start (I'm 1st June)?

@Witco I am not sure, but somebody on here said theirs was in May so maybe they are starting next Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BlitheSpirit

Having followed the thread so far, I'm another one through to stage 3 with an interview early next week. No further details as yet.

Just got the board members and my message shows only one week of interviews from the 31st to the 3rd. But I assume there are a number of boards runing or else some are running the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 DaDoRonRonRon

My interview is 10th June so running for a couple of weeks anyway it seems.

Advertisement