Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you recommend for smart alarm system + 2 external cameras + door bell?

Options
  • 02-05-2022 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Interested in looking around at updating my old alarm system with something more modern.

Will get it professionally installed but want some idea of what I should be asking for and researching when I start talking to the pros about getting the system.

Would like a Front and rear camera, doorbell camera, some internal motion sensors and for the alarm system to be able to alert me via wifi to my phone if it detects anything and be able to view the video feeds.

Would also prefer to not have any expensive subscription for the service or have a monitored alarm etc like phone watch.

Would be greatful for any advice.

-W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi Op,

First off, I take it you are fond of technology.

You mentioned a few things there and I will address each one

Front and Rear Camera's you need a CCTV system, if for example you got a Hikvision system, then their recorder will integrate with the Evivz Door Bell Camera, thereby recording events from same on the system HDD.

You mentioned internal motion sensors, let me caution you here please. You are much better off investing in a perimeter type Intruder Alarm System, with this your external windows and doors should be fitted with shock sensors and contacts and by all means have some motion sensors in hallways / landings etc. At least with a system like that you can switch it on at night and be able to move around within the house, also if your home is ever attempted, then the system will activate before the culprits gain access. Also if you are leaving home and if you inadvertently left a window or door opened the system will alert you to this.

I am concerned with your thought of Alert via Wifi only, not something at all that i recommend.

You should have an Intruder Alarm system that at the very least complies with EN50131-1 and if fitted by a PSA Licensed Installer. This will give you a system with a benchmark for any and all insurers criteria. Also with a system like that, if the electricity to your home fails, then your Intruder Alarm system will continue to operate as it will have sufficient battery back up.

I doubt your Wifi router has similar battery back up and it will more than likely fail and therefore will not have the capability to inform you if the Intruder Alarm system activates during the power cut.

Even if your Wifi has a back up, does your providers Utility station in your neighbourhood also have same ?

Now if you were a criminal, I am sure you can see an opportunity there.

I would strongly recommend a World GPRS/ GSM Communicator also on your system, at least with that, it will also be powered by that same Battery Back up that keeps your Intruder Alarm functioning in the event of a power cut. At least with a World Sim the system will keep scanning networks and connect to another should one fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

In the same boat as the OP, moved into a 2nd hand house and want to replace the outdated HKC unit (installed circa 2000 afaik) with something more modern with remote self monitoring, Wi-Fi/gsm, 2 or 3 outdoor cameras and a doorbell. Ideally would like to reuse the existing sensors on the windows/doors.

Would appreciate if people who have these installed already could provide the makes/models of what they use together and overall opinion of them. Would they recommend what they have or steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

My experience of some of the alarm companies has not been very positive, and whilst i understand the need in commercial circumstances, for a domestic install you may end up paying a high initial install price followed by expensive service charges for what may not be the most beneficial / modern system.

My opinion go with the ring alarm system.

Whilst not perfect it is the best system i have utilized. (of many)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I agree with Kub regarding the internal sensors. The alarm will only sound AFTER someone has broken in. Sensors on the windows, skylights and doors are a better option if you can afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

has anyone come across a wired system which is SMART and connected to home assistant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

i had contacted gokonnect but they are wireless. my house is wired and i am looking for wired sensors but they were wireless

Have a look at the Ajax system, few users on here have installed them themselves.

The have a receiver that can be used to convert wired to wireless to use any wires in place.

i had contacted the only official ajax installer here for wired solution as i knew about ajax wired to wireless option. but they weren't into it. i am no good in diy hence won't be able to do it myself. thanks for tips though. will keep looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LSTR

Hello all, I'm also in a similar situation and so far I got a home alarm from HomeSecure and their system uses Ajax devices, if that's of any help.

However I'm still trying to figure out the CCTV part. I want to get something with good quality and reliability, however not willing to spend a fortune on it. I'm doing some research and I'm sharing what I've gathered so far.

It sounds like Hikvision and Dahua are market leaders in the CCTV industry. Dahua specifically has a HDCVI range, which are wired through coaxial cables. They are cheaper than IP or Wifi cameras so it's something to consider.

In terms of resolution I concluded that 5MP is the max I need to go for since it can pick up details like, someone's face. So look up some resolution comparisons.

You also need to determine how you store the content. Seagate Skyhawk HDDs are specifically designed for surveillance and they have a handy CCTV storage calculator. For example for 2 cameras at 30 FPS which record ~2h / day of video with H.264 compression for 7 days even a 500 GB disk is plenty. I haven't read up on DVRs yet but that's trivial and I think it depends on the camera system you go for. Just note that you may need to have good general knowledge of networking to configure some of these.

I have a rough idea of what I need however I have 2 other issues so if someone knows I would really appreciate:

1. Are there any CCTV stores online or in Dublin you would recommend? I found some but the websites are ugly and have outdated things so don't seem trustworthy. I wasn't able to find many new camera models anywhere here. I looked up the Hikvision supplier in Ireland but they seem to only work with businesses.
    2. How to go about the legal aspect of owning a CCTV? I know it doesn't have to point towards public or other private property. So how do I do that? Do I just figure it out myself or is there some assessment which needs to be carried out? The last thing I wanna do is end up with some random complaint from a neighbor who thinks my cameras are pointed at them. Suppose I buy the cameras cheaper from another country; would a security firm be ok just to carry out some assessment and then let me DIY?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Try rfconcepts. I've been using them for years and they are fantastic. Based up North but operating across the island.

They have the new Hilook Colorvu cameras that are similar to the fantastic Hikvision version but at a lower price/spec. Worth checking out this kit:

Full disclosure - I don't have any Hilook but the Hikvision version is around 3 times the price.

Advertisement