Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Clare beating Limerick does not get a Munster final place "done and dusted". They would still rely on other results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

And Cathal O 'Neill will be missing. The u20 is really and farcical competition now. I know it has to be taken serious, but the best players in the competition are not playing

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

I've long said the U20 should be a developmental grade. It should be played on a league basis so that every county has the opportunity to give players at that age a number of games. How else are teams supposed to develop young players?

With the new playing calendar it could be played in parallel with the senior inter County season. Perhaps then you can justify giving teams or players the choice between the two. Or just make senior for over 20s only?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

if they cant play senior, would be great to see double headers for some of the championship, league stage at least rather than this nonsense where you can be gone after one game

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

I listened back to Kieran Neary's program on Radio Kilkenny from Monday night. He was on the phone with Nicky Brennan and Kieran Muldowney. By God Muldowney didn't half let fly at the lads who texted him and others after the minors got bet. "Anonymous Keyboard Warriors" he called them. He said he got a load of texts abusing him over how the minors should have held trials when they actually gave almost 150 lads 3 trials. Thankfully he has changed how the squads will be run going forward with the selection process for this year's U14s being completely changed from the past with the introduction of the Cat Academy at U13. They seemingly are doing serious work with that group, training almost every Saturday. He also said that Davy Buggy is involved with the U14s. That's some commitment from Buggy, fair play to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Listen to TC Tyres World Of Gaelic Games - 09.05.2022 by Community Radio Kilkenny City on #SoundCloud

Ciarian muldowney is a good honest guy.It's easy for us to be critical but alot of good people are giving up their time voluntarily and as he says people could go in and help out if they wanted.it's great that things have changed underage and huge efforts are going on but I'd say alot of other top counties are doing similar . There's no doubt we've sat on our hands for 15 years and done very little so this can only be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Neewollah

Muldowney is doing his best but has no say. Not even asked to be on Mick Dempseys state of hurling committee and hes the coaching officer in the county. Show's what is thought of that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bazng

100% agree, it is an amateur sport after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Why the praise for Davy Buggy over the other coaches in the development squads? Genuine question, for both you and Muldowney - what stands him out as being such an amazing appointment?

The notion that training every Saturday is the answer to the problems in the county is wrong as well. Doing twice the amount of training sessions with sub-standard coaches will just lead to the same definicies. That's unfair on those involved, I know, but I think it's clear as day now that the quality of coaching in the county is way behind where it needs to be in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Was that the Buggy involved with the Minor ? They were completely outclassed on the line in all areas by Laois last Saturday, id be blaming the management rather than the talent for the Minors downfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

In fairness to all who devote their time to training and improving the development squad and underage system they genuinely deserve support and praise but at the same time we couldn't do the simple things right against Laois in the minor. Simple 10 or 20 yard passes weren't going to hand and hand passes were being intercepted or going astray never mind the wide tally we had which can happen.

Im not trying to be too down on Laois here. Fair play to them and they deserve to be in the Leinster Final but how does it happen that our touch, control and striking is not where it should be in a knockout match?

This has to be preparation. I do understand that Eoin Lyng was supposed to be sick during the match but played on.

This is where we are unfortunately but we have to develop the right skills that the game demands at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭dzer2

After attending a fair few underage training sessions and trials. I have never seen anything that really caught my eye outside of what most clubs do. If we really are to progress doing the same stuff the clubs do won't really develop the lads. We are supposed to be bringing in the best lads. Why do they need to be doing running and mundane drills. We definitely don't do a no hurl zone drill. Off the shoulder running passing obliquely and run around drill. Loads of team building drills that emphasis thrust in your teammates. As for the gym unless the minors used it alot the rest only got 2 sessions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

From what I've heard he's out, theres a tiny chance he might make it but I think it would be foolish to force him back and risk doing more permanent damage. I'm sure he wants to play but I'm also sure Derek and the rest of the management team will leave him out much and all as they might want him.

Apparently (from 3 different sources) Cody went off on a hateful and vitriolic tirade about Henry too the Kilkenny dressing room after the game. TJ and Ritchie were on the bus. Lots of rumours flying around this week and none of them good. I would be worried about the morale in the camp if half of what I have heard is true. If Dublin push us (like they did the day Liam Blanchfield got the goal in Parnell) I'd wonder how the lads heads would be, going down the stretch.

Post edited by tbiggertycome on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

"Apparently (from 3 different sources) Cody went off on a hateful and vitriolic tirade about Henry too the Kilkenny dressing room after the game. "

I really hope that's not true...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I'm no fan of KK hurling given the number of times I was left crying on the terraces at the wrong end of a scoreline meted out a lot of the time by Shefflin & Co. but it ends when the final whistle is blown. Every player/ coach/ manager has a family and life outside hurling and certainly doesn't deserve that sort of abuse, even if it's in a relatively private place. Cody is slipping down in my estimation (not that that'll bother him...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Any chance we will get the team this evening with the game on Saturday?

I've met a load of people that have the same story and if it was in any other county the players would of stopped hurling.We all know the way rumours go but this would be dissapointing. I've always being a cody fan but I wonder is he starting to lose the head. He's done baffling things the last few years and if it was any other county he'd be pushed out.

hopefully out this evening so we can see where we are between the rumours and lawlors injury. Was out on the Thursday before the last Saturday game I think. Sure keep an eye out on Saturday in case any of them miss the bus and need a lift to the match

• Advertisement

Needless to say a absolutely huge match Saturday evening and a loss here could finish our intrest in this year's championship. We were a few seconds away from a draw against galway and could of even won it if the breaking ball was put over the bar. Alot of our players had bad days and we gave away alot of cheap scores yet there was nothing in it at the scoreboard. We're half way through the round Robin and we're chopping and changing our half back line and midfield. Mullen form has being dissapointing and for all the ability he has it looks like at times he's not putting it on the pitch. Wally has being hurling well but the inconsistency of a few lads around him has the attack hamstrung .

Dublin haven't being great to date but like most teams they'll rise their game for kk and if they have their noses in front with a few mins to go with a home crowd behind them we could be in big trouble. Weve a good record against them and parnell doesn't suit this dublin team they've done better in bigger pitches.We'll try to physically dominate them like we done in the league but this will be a different match. If huw is out he'll be a big loss and delaney could be caught for pace on ronan Hayes. Dublins main man is donal Burke and he will punish us if he's left In space so I wonder will butler be detailed to try keep him quite. We'll need more from the forwards and can't be relying on a chap to be showing leadership all the time. Blanchfield,Murphy could start and I wouldn't be suprised to see someone like fogarty around the middle. Bit of pressure on Saturday night if we lose this we could be the end of the year.it wouldn't be the biggest shock if the big 3 don't get out of the province. Tipp and cork are nearly gone and a loss for us could do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BIMMERAG

You're dead right about about the training and trials that have been conducted over the last few years especially development squads. Clubs can only do so much with young lads in order to progress their skills and more importantly their game craft which is now an area that requires as much focus as the physical hurling coaching. From the number of coaching sessions I've seen that are run by the county board id have to say its utterly depressing. The will to change our approach, the will to think outside the box and dare anyone mention it the will to have a look at what's working for other counties that are now reaping the success of the coaching approach is simply not there. Take the schools coaching development offered by the county board for example, the same stuff that was being coached 30 years ago to children isnt good enough anymore. Underage hurling in Kilkenny is in a poor place in my opinion and recent lack of success is to be expected if we continue on the same path we are on. Clubs can only do so much, schools can only do so much, the county board can only do so much. But put those 3 organisations working together for the same goal and you have a very powerful prospect. It is however up to the county board to get serious about it now before we get to a place where All Ireland success is something that we might only be able to dream about. But i wouldn't hold my breath, we are Kilkenny appears to be what we are hanging our aspirations on, tradition isn't going to turn around our fortunes anytime soon and it is a depressing enough outlook on where we are and where we are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Bang on. I admire Laois for what they've achieved at minor level so far this year. From our point of view it should be a wake up call, once and for all. Just raking that one loss to Laois alone, the County Board need to ask how did Laois manage to make up so much ground on Kilkenny. St Kieran's and CBS contested the Leinster schools junior (under 16 and half) final this year. Laois don't even have a schools team in Roinn A.

We ought to learn a lot by reviewing this match alone. And critically, take those learnings on board, immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BIMMERAG

I also admire Laois for what they are doing. A strong looking coaching team including Waterfords Derek McGrath has brought them to a historic first time ever meeting with neighbours Offaly in the minor final. I've even more admiration for Offaly and what they are doing. They had reached what might be considered rock bottom for hurling people in that county but in fairness to Duignan he has taken the reigns and responsibility to try and do things a little but different and some of that is no doubt the reason they will contest this historic final with Laois. No surprise either that a Limerick man is over this Offaly minor team, I'm open to correction on this but i believe Leo O Connor has had some involvement with the Limerick underage academy previously. Regardless of what county, (ok Tipp aside) it is fantastic to see progression especially when not so long ago minor titles were a distant memory for each of these teams contesting the upcoming one. Offaly last won in 2000 and Laois as far back as 1964. More luck to them i say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Yes, more luck to both Offaly and Laois. Hopefully they continue to progress and make Leinster more competitive in time.

I'd like to think our County Board will take note. If only we had a Michael Duignan.

Post edited by Grats on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Is it strange we got no team last night for a match Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

No i dont think so. I think last Saturday match it was posted on a Thursday. Be interesting to see the team named.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,867 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Well especially in light of what's meant to have happened after the last day I'd be interested in seeing if the ballyhale contingent are all still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Against Laois and Westmeath it was named on the Thursday

• Advertisement

never looked forward to seeing a team named as little as today with the rumours going around

Advertisement