Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Don’t know if anyone saw the Newcastle game but Targett got absolutely destroyed for pace by Salah right at the end. In fairness Salah was much fresher (came on as a sub) but it wasn’t a great look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Yeah I watched it.

Salah would do that to lots of players, overall I thought Targett had a decent game.

Bailey off injured in the first half, dunno is he built for this league at all, seems to be made of glass like Sanson. Ings replaced him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Feels weird that we could relegate Dean Smith. Like Seeing Tim get a start, especially as our season starts to peter out somewhat it's good to see the youth getting a chance and it might also be a hint that Luiz could be out the door in the summer while obviously a DM is most likely going to be brought in.

Can't watch myself, was Bailey another injury? Guess Ings set up the goal when he came on but would like to see Beundia get more of a chance.

Average performance, we didn't dominate the game.

Buendia made a good impact when he came on, Ings got the second.

Positives are a start for Tim, clean sheet and 3 points.

Kinda feel for Konsa as I don't think he's done anything wrong and hasn't had a good DM helping shield the back four but seeing chambers start against him and all the links to CBs it seems he may not be starting for Villa next season.

Happy to see Beundia get the assist at the end.

We gave them far too much room and time on the ball. Didn’t feel like we ever got a good tempo. Felt Coutinho pressed better today but his passing was out by a fraction. Emi made a huge difference - seemed to find the gaps better.

How many goals was he at fault for in the Spurs game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Yes a forgettable win 3 points being the most important thing. Don’t know what’s happening with Bailey he had an injury at about 30 minutes just after making zero Effort to track back

Post edited by pavb2 on

4 points off 9th with two games in hand sounds ok when you phrase it like that.

Two games against Burnley, we play the top two and Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If we had any kind of form, it's an interesting end to the season. 3 winnable games and a chance to impact the title race.

• Advertisement

reckon we’ll get five points from that lot. Losses to City and Liverpool, 2 draws with Burnley and beat Palace.

Not sure are we playing 5 at the back or is Chambers in midfield?

Buendia in for Coutinho. Hope he starts the remaining 4 games too.

Recent bad memories at Turf Moor, hoping that'll be overturned today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Goal for Ings. Lovely through ball by Buendia. Though he had loads of time and soace to pick the pass.

Given what both teams have left to play for this season this is a surprisingly nice result thus far 3-0 Watkins, beundia & Ings

Win our game in hand and we’re in 8th, 3 points from europa qualifiers.

How did that happen all of a sudden?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

It didn’t. You might want to have a look at the table again. We’re 9 off West Ham at the moment with 12 left to play for. No chance of Europe this year but a strong finish to the season would be great and hopefully bring some momentum into next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Still shows how congested the middle of the table is - how quickly you can veer from Europe challenge to relegation threat

Nakamba and Coutinho start for Chambers and Buendia.

Surprised at Chambers being dropped, expected the Coutinho change.

Coutinho to Villa for €20 million (about £17stg) seems to be a done deal, amazing value although Barca get 50% of his image rights apparently and I think we take on full wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

How long is his contract? His wages are huge (presumably). He hasn't been that impressive in the last few games. Personally I'd rather just see us make Buendia the main man

Same.

Rarely do you get a player who performs better when made permanent than they did when they were a loanee.

Hopeful a pre season stands to him and he doesn't continue to block the progress of Buendia if he's made permanent.

The details of the contract are still to be worked out, the news so far is that a price has been agreed. Other stuff about wages, image rights etc is speculation but seeing the image rights mentioned a bit on twitter (and it's an unusual detail to be part of negotiations so probably true)

In other thoughts, what are we making of the ref tonight.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭chases0102

Like Pools 12th man at times.

Disappointed with lack of quality from Coutinho tonight (so far!)

• Advertisement

All that from Luiz not expecting a 2 yard pass, and panicing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

I have to say he looked lost from the get go out there tonight. I felt sorry for him. Plain to see that he is not up to it any longer.

I'm just not seeing it from Coutinho, I'd say fair enough sign if we'd no one else, but it's criminal that he's now blocking the way of our best attacking player Buendia.

Like we had the Can Watkins play with Ings debate - I think it'll be can Coutinho and Buendia play together, that'd be a fearsome attack, but means dropping McGinn probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I think in the current setup Buendia has performed mostly better but if the plan is to shift on a few players and change the playing style to something that works for both Coutinho and Buendia then I don't think it's a bad signing. We've seen glimpses of his ability when he first joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Its official. Not particularly jumping for joy, but we have him so hopefully a good pre season will stand to him

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1524815057955192836?t=2DiiMjxYx6yUwB963L-paA&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

€20 million (£17m) the final fee agreed with Barcelona, which is well down from the €40 million (£33m) which was the original agreement in January, so well played Purslow on that aspect. Barca have taken a 50% slice in the sell on clause but turning 30 next month and in the latter part of his career, that doesn't matter a whole lot.

We have seen both sides of Coutinho at Villa which has reflected the past 5 or so years of his career. The brilliant performances and then the anonymous ones, so the club knows full well what they are getting into.

I don't think I would have signed him for that original fee due to the inconsistency he has brought but at half that price, it makes it a lot more palatable for me. A quality player is still there no doubt. Will also help recruitment this summer along with Gerrard by having big names at the club.

As someone else said, he's younger than De Bruyne.

Also find it funny that official Villa tweet has undisclosed fee, but official Barcelona happily announce €20 million

I saw it said that with 5 subs next season, they're should be a lot of chopping and changing in games.

Also we cannot be starting with Ings, Watkins, Buendia and Coutinho, unless we have superheroes in midfield.

if Coutinho and Buendia start together, which they might Sunday, it will be with one up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

John Percy from the Telegraph reporting that Villa will continue to pay the same wages to Coutinho as they have been doing.

He was on a reported £470,000 a week at Barcelona with Villa agreeing to pay 25% of that in January. Coutinho has agreed to a huge wage cut to get regular first team football ahead of the World Cup at the end of the year.

It's a good sign a player of his ilk wants to stay having seen what it's like for 4 months.

We haven't gotten fleeced on wages/transfer fee.

The board are backing Gerrard.

Fair play to the club in all of this.

Over to you Phillipe, time to start producing next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah, I think the money is reasonable. I definitely didn’t want us stretching or reaching to get him with Buendia there, but at those figures, I don’t think that has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Seen something on twitter that Chuck just signed an extention. Is it true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I guess Barca are publicly owned so have to share financials with their stakeholders, so it’s difficult to keep secrets - especially now when their financials are under so much scrutiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

That would be great news if true. He is a proper prospect and we risk losing him for buttons if he doesn't sign.

I can’t see why he’d sign. Coutinho, Buendia and Ramsey will make life difficult for him whichever system we play.

He's an 8, shouldn't be in competition with Coutinho and Buendia.

I know he isn’t the same style of player as those 2, but he’s still unlikely to often get fielded as part of a midfield 2, so those 2 are still heavily relevant to him in terms of the system we’ll play.

As in, we’re unlikely to play a proper midfield 3 with both Buendia and Coutinho available to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Watkins starts, Buendia on the bench. I was hoping he'd start as he looks lively recently.

Way too much long passing, aiming for players heads/chests with no control of the ball.

No wonder Palace are controlling the game opening 20 mins. Makes no sense at all with Ings, Coutinho and Watkins in the side.

Attacking wise we've been dreadful, Ings with 2 chances, should of hit the target at least.

Coutinho has to drop way too deep meaning he's getting plenty of touches around the half way line. Palace will be delighted with that.

Watkins gets a flukey goal, we definitely don't deserve to be leading but happy to take it.

Ramsey came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

A drab draw. We have no real shape or flow to our game. I don't think that some of our players will take us much further up the table than where we are now.

• Advertisement

Do you think the manager will out of curiosity?

Advertisement