Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

This Eurovision feels like a write off to me. The overall standard of songs this year is not great. Some are better than others but I can’t see myself listening to any of them after the final. Some very questionable songs got through to the final. With Ukraine a dead cert to win, the best song is definitely not going to win sadly. As a huge fan of Eurovision I can say for the first time I am not that excited about it. In terms of Ireland, given that Serbia qualified I’d say we were not far off qualifying and it was just bad luck that we didn’t get through. I will continue to tell myself that so I don’t lose all sense of hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Which song is stuck in everones head now before the final? Bizzarly for me its the Norway one, which actually slaps on a decent set of speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Re Norway, 1 of the members of Subwoolfer is allegedly Ben Adams, formerly of late 90s/early 00s boyband A1!! Subwoolfer have not removed their masks in public so no-one is quite sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,944 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They should start a rumour that one of them is Zelenskyy

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭glitterIsland

This is ridiculous.

Shouldn't it be genuinely be the best song wins. The Ukrainian song really isn't very great. My ears don't like it. If the jury and the public votes giving Ukraine the highest points doesn't that just indicate it's all political voting.

How can anyone have faith in the song contest that is Eurovision if it's based on political votes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Wait till the votes, I wouldn't be surprised if not every country toed the line. Ukraine will probably still win easily, bit either the jury vote or the public one will be slightly off. It could end up closer than people are expecting. Could be embarrassing if it's in the balance though..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭glitterIsland

Some of the songs that made it through on last nights semi final was ridiculous. Say what you will about our own entry with Brooke, I liked Malta but that didn't get through.

Some of the songs that got through were awful. We would have been better off sending Richie Kavanagh or Pat Short with his jumbo breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I liked Serbia for being different, at least it was not another ballad for the final, and one can do the hand dance:)

• …. Wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

If the Ukraine wins it won't do them much good, always an asterisk beside it. Whoever comes second will be the real winner.

It just shows the difference in 3 decades of how social media, the cause of the day has changed society.

Bosnia got a good round of applause for arriving in Millstreet from their war torn country in 1993. Came mid table in the voting.

This war in Ukraine is very wrong. But their are other equally as wrong conflicts at present. I never can remember a war being so prominent in Irish news and life before, since WW2, when bombs hit Campile and the North Strand in Dublin and we had rationing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I have a mash-up of Norway, Finland and Ukraine going through my head all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes it was a great song but its very much 'of its time' a song like that wouldn't get a look in these days..its all about the pyrotechnics and the costumes the song is secondary imo - its just gone too silly now, a parody of itself😐️

I think you're right. They really need to agree that everyone gives them the 12 points or just forget about it. Otherwise what will happen is some country will only give them 8 points and will therefore be accused of supporting the murder and rape of Ukrainian children over on the Russia thread.

• Boards.ie should put in an entry next year.

"ya we're boards, um-pa um-pa, boards.ie,

"boards, um-pa um-pa, la-de-da-de-sumthing else etc.".

Irlande Douze Points.

Yugoslavia was a civil war not a massive super power invading a smaller neighbour.

This is the biggest war in Europe since WWII which is why it has been the most prominent since WWII.

Blaming social media is just old man shouting at cloud stuff

I think Rock & Roll Kids could still do well. It would be a real curve ball entry against all the glamour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Genuinely the best song. 😃

Thanks for the laugh.

The ‘least worst’ song and performance should win. There is no ‘best’ when they are all crap, there is only bad and less bad…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

It would win again. This thing that good songs can’t win and it’s all about the show is not true, look at when Portugal won, totally low key performance and they get none of the block booking.

We did badly because we sent a rip off of that Israeli chicken song that won a couple of years ago. It was too recent to rip it off and get away with it. The fake accent was too much also, I’m sure all of Europe could tell that wasn’t an Irish accent. No authenticity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

The Bosnian delegation had to dodge bullets to get out. I'm talking about the whole sympathy vote.

Can you make a point without insulting a poster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Have to agree with you. The quality of songs this year is very poor. None of them are what you call really good. Very very disappointing.

Any of the top 4 last year would have blitzed this year's competition. Pity Go_A were last year as we could easily claim that to be the best song and not have to worry about sympathy votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Agreed, Go_A were easily my favourite last year. Sweden my favourite this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Not surprised Ireland missed out. The song was just generic pop that could have come from any country and any Pop Idol competition. I would think a song more in the style of "Galway Girl" would have a better chance. Something that sounds like it has distinct Celtic/Irish roots. There was a lot of hating on Serbia, but you can't accuse their song of being generic. On the other hand, each time the camera panned in on the Serbian singer I couldn't help thinking of Austin Powers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, it's always been political. We take for granted that the UK gives Ireland a decent score evey year. Is that because they just happen to find our songs good? Or maybe their culture likes the kinds of songs our culture likes so they happen to like our songs. Or maybe there's been a lot of migration between the UK and Ireland and they are favourably predisposed to whatever songs we enter.

And it works the same for other countries. Some Eastern European countries like each other and they vote for each other. And we suddenly notice that they're voting for each other and we think it's unfair. As Brooke would say...

But ultimately I have no faith in it. And I don't need faith in it because it's just a bit of craic. There's absolutely nothing at stake, do who gives a shiny shyte about if it's political?

The word Eurovision now means the song contest in everyone's mind but Eurovision was to be a whole media set up which included Eurosport and Eurovision Song Contest was just one part.

It was designed during the cold war to promote Western European culture and showcasing it to the East was very much part of the plan as well as fostering a feeling of a united Europe.

It was political from day 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,665 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was surprised Cyprus didn't qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Irelands song was fairly decent by eurovision standards and she put on a good performance but most of the upbeat songs didn't do that well during the semis. I do think Sweden wins it

• Advertisement

I think it was in the RTE 50 years of Eurovision doc. It's very good if you can dig it out.

Also went into how it became an underground political statement for the gay community in homophobic countries in Europe.

Advertisement