Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus GTX950

Options
  • 12-05-2022 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭

Hi guys..

I have a PC with a GTX950-M-2GD5 card installed. I don't use it for gaming, and just bought it secondhand to use as a normal PC.

My wife uses it for zoom calls and rendering videos.

Anyhow, the graphics card spins constantly, it's fast, and loud. So bad, people can hear it during the zoom calls. (Video attached).

Any idea what's going on with this? It does it as soon as the PC is started.

Is this something that can be fixed, or need replacing? I took it out and cleaned it but it made no difference.

I don't want to replace it, until I find out if it's the card itself, or something causing it to do this.

I'm not hugely tech minded, so do be gentle.

Many thanks.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

The clue is in gaming = lots of power required = heat = needs cooling = needs big loud fan. If you were gaming and wearing headphones you would not hear it and if without headphones the speakers would drown it out. Its a known problem with gaming.

Can you give spec of the PC and how old. Then we can work out a better quieter card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi Swoofer..

The PC is as follows..

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor  3.00 GHz

8.00 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

It's an old pc. Guy I bought it from added bits to it like a 1TB SSD.

It's probably pushing 8-10 years old.

Hi Sugarman..

The clip was before the cleaning. It's clean as a whistle now. But the problem persists.

The fan behaves like that within 10 seconds of startup.

So not sure overheating can be/is the problem.

Yes, I have.

Found an article just earlier which points to a fault with the chipset, that cannot be repaired..

😥😥

Use the graphics card software to specify a maximum fan speed of circa 30% of max rpm

• Advertisement

Thank you for that.

Exactly how do I go about that? I'd have no knowledge of such things to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭swoofer

Hi, you don't say what the operating system is or how much the PC cost you but here are a few tips.

1. I use win 8.1 so to get age of pc I go to the left and click on the 4 windows, then click on magnifying glass, type in cmd, click on it, then enter this command, wmic os get installdate , cut and paste if you can, then hit enter, you will get install date. = age of PC.
    2. Now exit out and get command prompt again and enter msinfo32 and this will give you operating system etc, then go to display and it will show video card details.
    3. Now card may have been added later but you will have full name.
    4. Now go to ASUS site and download the manual for your card version, then it will show you how to access and tweak, it has a silent mode, see OWL and that may turn off fan.

https://www.asus.com/uk/SupportOnly/GTX950-M-2GD5/HelpDesk_Manual/

1. If unsure just exit back out and do a bit of reading.
    2. A new card may cost more than you paid for PC.

I don't have that card but the one I do have is whisper quiet.

Make sure the PC is well ventilated.

Thank you Swoofer.

I'll get to that tomorrow and post up the results.

Advertisement