Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jaybro7

Oh I know the feeling unfortunately. After it was delivered via an post it took 2 days for it to show up on the tracker as documents received.

i resubmitted my docs on the 27th of April and was changed on tracker to docs received on the 29th somehow. Took daily chasing since then and the intervention of TD’s and senators to get it across the line before issue date. It’s a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So you deal with his government department. His department of civil servants, including those who decide on staffing levels and overtime in the passport office.

There are constituents who are losing their homes, people who need help with medical card applications, who have no school places for their kids, who don't have money to bury loved ones. Those are the people who the constituency office are there to help. Not people from elsewhere who booked travel without having valid passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Hey folks, passport expires Jan 23 2023 and I've flights and ferries in July and August - just wondering should I try and renew now?

Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

What part of Government Ministers serve the whole country not just their small constituency is so hard to understand? When appointed a government minister they even get a staff to so the pothole filling and coffin chasing for them so they can serve the whole country not just Widow Murphy down the road who wants a house and medical card for her daughter.

He is the ultimate boss of the passport office and if they aren't doing their job he needs to be made aware of the situation by the people who are suffering as a result.

Wait time seems to be 3+ months. If you are going to a country that requires a minimum of 6 months on the passport I would say you are already too late for flights in July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

If it's a basic adult renewal,with no complications it only takes a few days online. No harm in doing it this week if you are going somewhere that you need over 6 months on your passport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

3rd of june which is the day we fly. I'll be hounding every channel possible to get it sooner. That would make it four full months to get it thanks in part to an eff up on the part of the Garda.

What part of government departments working for the whole country do you not understand. Politicians' constituency offices only handle constituency work. You stop them helping actual constituents if you don't use the CORRECT channels ie the department office.

Do they work on Saturdays? I've seen a few comments that the tracker changed on a Saturday

So basically you accept that he works for the whole country but you don't want us contacting him directly because you might need him to fill a pothole for you.

You are the perfect example of why the Irish political system is so screwed up.

I have sent a message to his office. I urge everyone else unable to get an answer from the passport office to do the same.

• Advertisement

You can contact his department office directly. That's the appropriate channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 first time applicant

I just noticed there was an update at 9:20 but no change to my status.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bindyboo

I am just wondering the same, my TD was assured they would call me yesterday or today to arrange collection of the passport & nothing, so i don't know if I'm to cancel or what the story is....beyond frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Fairin

Anyone know how long online child renewals are taking? And an adult renewal requiring a change to married name? Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

How about urging everyone you know to get their passports or check that their passports still in date BEFORE making travel arrangements? If you look back on previous years on this thread, it’s the same old story most of the time, booked a holiday before even having a passport. People need to take responsibility here and stop blaming TD’s, civil servants etc.

But it is the department who are to blame for this crisis. How are you not getting this??? Clearly the only reason is that you work for the department, probably in the spin department of the passport office itself. I'm not engaging with your trolling any more.

I'm sorry but the likes of yourself in the department need to stop victim blaming. The wait time for passports is over three or four months for a process that in the past takes less than a week. Personally I checked the passports in February when we booked flights. Saw that my son's passport was out of date later this year. We were booking flights for June. Needed 6 months on the passport. So applied in February. Should have been plenty of time. Now mid May. The passport tracking system tells me the application is in process and will be issued in mid April (a month ago). No one in the department bothers to answer the phone. Chat function permanently greyed out. The lad on twitter is basically telling people to **** off. Now you are telling me that we should have applied last year before we even contemplated holidays. That's insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

For a child renewal?

My children had theirs renewed within 3-4 weeks in March. Applied online early March, they received the docs on March 9th, had them back late in the month.

Yes. Tried several times online to upload professional photos but the system wouldn't accept it. So opted for a paper application. It was only a short time more according to the website. That was back in February. Now I have no idea when we will get the new passport. Maybe there is something wrong with the application. I don't know so I can't fix it. And I can't get any information. That is the hugely frustrating thing. There appears to be no one working in the department apart from the lad on twitter telling everyone to **** off on GDPR grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭TheRona

They were asking how long for an online renewal, rather than paper.

For the photos, if you go to an approved pharmacy/camera shop for the photos, it's as simple as entering a code to have your photos added to the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Baker123

Hi, not sure if anyone can help or if this is even the right place to ask. But I'm desperately looking for answers.

I've applied for our 3 kids first passports. We're in Scotland but I was born in NI. The current status of the applications is 'applications being processed'. The estimated date of issue was 12 May which has obviously passed but the issue date hasn't changed. My question is we are due to go on holiday 24 May so is there any possibility of us receiving the passports by then?? I realise I'll need to speak to the passport office but does anyone have any idea if its possible to have an application finalised and posted to Scotland in the space of a week?? Much appreciated

The answer is maybe. It can change from "processing" to "printing" at any time. Issue dates are only estimated, most people on here have gone over the issue date but a few have got them on/before issue date.

They won't expedite first passports for holidays so fingers crossed your applications haven't hit any snags and they switch to printing tomorrow. Good luck trying to get through on the phone. Posters on here say if you get a woman's voice on the answering service hang up, if you get a man's voice it means you're in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Baker123

Thanks for the quick response. I'm just going to have to persevere with the phone tomorrow. I'm not hopeful of the status changing to printing tomorrow which like you say would need to happen for us to get them on time. Do you know if it's possible to collect the passports after they've been printed rather than waiting for them to be posted? My wife is looking at flights to Dublin..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

I checked this morning and it was 95% along the bar and still in process. Checked just now and it's been printed and posted. Estimated due date was 18th so 3 days early.

Now I got local TDs involved and its helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭LapsypaCork

The ‘likes of me’ don’t book holidays unless we have a valid passport to travel on, and please don’t go assuming you know my profession either, I’m not a civil servant, I just get my facts right and absolutely never have left my passport, or my children's run out. I understand your frustration but the department is clearly run off their feet and under immense pressure so maybe it’s the minister you should take this up with and your local TD.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Your kids are probably entitled to Irish and UK passports. Can you go to a UK passport office in Scotland and apply for UK passports for the kids? You might have them sooner.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

Passport was printed late Friday evening at the 5.20 update. Just checked today and it has been dispatched at some stage this afternoon Sunday. Didn't think they worked over the weekend.

So it should probably arrive Tuesday I'd assume, the estimated delivery date was the 18th so it'll be one day early (TDs were contacted for this)

Most government departments authorise overtime at peak times when budget allows. Passport office staff likely doing longer days and weekends at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 robin83

Great to hear a few getting good news this weekend!

Advertisement