Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

@notAMember what time were you in The Black market at?

there wer no trucks etc any time I was there - but it was late avo..

but when ever I have been there is was almost empty - but twas always mid week so dunno about weekends.

In any event, dunno how its profitable from what I could see.. I think SOMA own it? could be wrong there..

I was in The Marina Market on Monday and it was black (busy) - unlike The Black Market..

Isaacs - how was the noise level in there? I find it echo-y too.. but I do have an issue with hyperacusis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Unfortunately the square table in Blarney has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

@sporina It was lunchtime, around 12-30 1 ish. Either Thursday or Friday.

I had no problem with noise In Issacs, we could all hear each other, group of six.

Across the road in the metropole was noisier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I thought they said temporarily closed ?

I think that was a couple of weeks ago, but now it's permanent sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

I moved to the US in Feb 2020 and finally making a trip home for the first time at the end of this month. Very sad to see West Cork Burger gone as it was going to be my first stop!

Has anything new popped up that's worth checking out overall? I'm into anything really.

what food do you like? apart from burgers..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Will eat anything overall - I suppose since I'm spoiled for burgers, and all sorts of Asian food here in Seattle, anything that's more Irish/Italian or any good new steak places would be good!

• Advertisement

Bocelli on Maylor St is lovely - italian

4 liars up up Shandon way is Syrian - great grilled meats etc..

enjoy your trip home.. you must be soo excited

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What's the consensus on Bocelli?

I've heard mixed reviews, and find Italian restaurants here have a poor quality-to-price ratio. I don't want to pay €15 for pesto spaghetti (that's a nod to you Rossini!).

I definitely want to try Four Liars again. I found the food maybe a bit bland last time, but the menu seems to have changed since, and it is good value. They seem like a good place to support too, in a city full of burgers and pizza.

Apart from what @sporina suggested, I can't think of anything else to add, except you might like to check out some of the food stalls at Marina Market. I liked Poulet Vous for their take on fried chicken. Really delicious.

New places on/ near McCurtain Street.

The glass curtain.

Moody tapas.

Thompsons.

Cask.

Really good suggestions! All new hot spots.

McCurtain Street has really picked up from it's old chipper and taxi place image.

(you still can't go wrong with Hillbilly's though, way better than KFC)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also Nell's Wine Bar.

Went again last night. The food is really, really good. I don't really rate too many Cork restaurants very highly but the food coming out of this kitchen is as good as any food in Cork, imo. Excellent value, too.

We had 5 plates and 3 generous glasses of wine between 2 for €62.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

I gave Thompsons a go last week, I thought it was poor at best, I ordered the special which was roast beef.

The portion of meat and veg was really small and I mean really small, I've no bother with small portions but I ended up eating elsewhere later.

Their cocktails are awesome, I tried several and if you like a cocktail I'd highly recommend a visit.

I also tried the brewed on site IPA, I especially didn't like this, there was nothing good about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Had the Burger Bar in the Black Market, very friendly service and lovely chips but the burger was tiny. Too expensive for what you get

Had the steak Odun noodles from Okura, nice but could make it something equally tasty at home for half the price

Having been pretty critical of Izz Café in the past, was there for lunch today and it was lovely.

Well, the Tasters mix and the macdous were both very good.

I had tried Izz a couple of years back and was not impressed. We got a takeaway platter for a party this weekend, and the food was delicious. Looking forward now to trying it again.

We get food from Izz Cafe every Fri eve.. we adore it.. love their flavour profiles and their ingredients are so fresh and vibrant... hmm roll on Friday..

I don't get the love of Cameron at all.

Having gotten annoyed previously because they have a menu board but won't make up anything to order from it, I decided to try again as people rave so much about their sandwiches.

This time they had what I wanted ready but when I got to the till to pay, the price was 50c more than on the board. It seems that they went to the trouble of changing the prices on the till but didn't bother their holes changing the prices on the menu board! Apart from being lazy and showing disregard for customers, I'm pretty sure it's illegal to display one price and charge another.

Regardless, I bought the sandwich. I though it was poor. The seeded baguette was hard and dry and not tasty, at all. It tasted like yesterday's bread - probably wasn't but it tasted like it to me. The filling ingredients were fine but the whole sandwich was really dry, chewy and unpleasant.

I did try again.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Met a few friends for lunch at Greenwich cafe (formerly Idaho) yesterday, food is ok but only noticed on my credit card that it cost €19.50 for a cup of soup, a sandwich & a coffee. Possibly they overcharged me but anyway my first & last visit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Their menu suggests soup is €6.50, a sandwich is €9 and a coffee is €3. So €18.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Yes as mentioned I had a cup of soup rather than a bowl. But regardless I won't be going back. YMMV needless to say.

you should really have given the staff a chance to put it right ie by mentioning it to them, before going on the www about it - could have been an innocent mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Couldn't imagine the food is decent, its owned by Luigi Malones.

Advertisement