Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a Willis Immersion heater

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm limited how high I can go by shelving in the hot press, to give the water more room to rise I'm going to drop the willis lower down and have the turn to the horizontal at the top of that, right now the horizontal is almost immediately on top of the willis so the water is having to negotiate the horizontal first before it can rise which might be why its getting so hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭John.G

This is fascinating as I've never actually seen any numbers from anyone who has installed one of these, you can see from the attached the tiny circulating heads available to promote circulation, especially as the heat source is more or less at the same elevation as the HW cylinder, you can change the numbers yourself in yellow if interested.

Edit: Slight correction in Rev2.

Post edited by John.G on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Very interesting. It looks that if you double the height you double the circulatory force but how exactly is the height measured?

If you were make the flow connection from the Willis to high up on the vent pipe would that be an increase in hieght? I assume it would because I've seen some old Range (solid fuel cooker) back boiler direct connections that manage to heat tanks at heights very similar if not below the boiler by taking a high flow pipe throught the roof and return through the floor without using any pump.

Wake me up when it's all over.

The circulating height is easy enough if say the heater/boiler is on one lower level and the cylinder on another level, say boiler on ground floor and cylinder on the landing, the circulatig height is the distance between the centre lines of the flow and return on the boiler and cylinder. I have seen references to extending the flow pipe up then back down but don't really know if this increases the effective circulating height. I think mariposa recommend this to prevent reverse circulation and cylinder cooling. I have seen where some recommend extending the (Willis) flow pipe 0.8M above the cylinder top but this is easier said than done in lots of cases.

Should have said Maxipod above.

• Advertisement

One old cottage we lived in had a Waterford Stanley No8 with a boiler in it in the kitchen and a galvanised hwc in an airing cupboard in the bedroom. The top of the tank was about the height of the middle of the Waterford Stanley No8. The tank still managed to get very hot and even boil when the range was on all the time during the winter. Flow pipe went up into the roof space and the return was chased out into the floor.

My parents had a back boiler which heated the cylinder directly, both were on the same level (bases) and when you heard the cylinder giving a grunt or two you just hit it a belt of your fist and away it went.

Going back to the Willis extending 0.8M, I suppose that is up and the back down as it comes back down the 0.8M via the vent?.

I think I can follow what you guys are describing 😂 So my idea of getting the willis lower and creating more of a head should work in my favour? I picked up the piping and other bits at lunch so might get to go at it this evening.

Lowering the Willis can only improve the flow. The pipe size can do nothing to improve the circulating force - its all on the spreadsheet calculation, however increasing the pipe size should reduce the friction in the pipe allowing the best possible flow. The force moving the water is so low that anything you can do to improve it has to be a good thing

I'm getting my head around the circulating force and I'm just starting to understand John.G's comments (and excellent spreadsheet) on how small that force is. I understood the force was low but it was only when I realised that Circ Force in the spreadsheet calculator is actually the Circulating Head that I could see that 1/4 inch of head is tiny. If I'm understanding this correctly 1/4 inch of Circulating Head would equate to a pressure in PSI of 0.01?

Thats correct, seems quite low.

• Advertisement

God I'm a sucker for punishment, got in from training this evening and had to wait for the whole house to shower and be down with the bathrooms so it was after 10 before I started! I lowered the willis in relation to the tank and replaced all of the 1/2" on the return with 3/4" I was able to get about 600mm of a rise from the top of the wills before the horizontal to the expansion and the horizontal has a nice angle too it anyway to get to the point after 20 mins of running the willis the max temp of the return was 66.6c

This is how hot it got earlier today when I let it run on the solar excess

Thanks for all the advice and help you've given me. I'll monitor it for a few days and report back I'd really like to see a full tank of hot (not scalding) water the best I've managed is about 3/4s from what I can tell or 6kwh solar excess absorbed. I'm hoping to get to about 8kwh on a cold tank.

Well done, delighted that you persevered with the installation.

It may be difficult to get a completely full cylinder as the bottom of the tank will receive heat by conduction from the hot water above it as going by your trend, the circulation is 1.075LPM so once the bottom of the tank reaches 25/26C then the stat will switch out the heater, you may find ironically that you may get a a fuller cylinder in the winter as the bottom of the tank will start from a lower base temperature but of course not as much diverted energy available then.

You could consider going the final mile and replace the return Willis 1/2" piping with 3/4", even though probably a short length, it may increase circulation and knock another few degrees off the dT to allow the heater to run longer.

It will be very interesting to see what the dT will be at various diverter inputs to the heater.

Where are you monitoring "tanktemp1" ?.

All bar the first 20-30mm of the willis return is now 3/4" the first short section that gives me enough room to fit a 1/2"-3/4" compression coupling. Unfortunately, I don't have the diverter input over time just the sum of the power diverted in kwh. When running the willis in boost/manual it takes 2.8-3kw depending on the grid voltage. I've a 3.6kw solar inverter with a base load of 300-400w so if nothing is on in the house and the sun shines the willis should get the full 3kw. tanktemp1 is usually about halfway down the tank but I've moved it for now to just inside the insulation jacket at the top of the willis.

One simple question on the Willis. Do you support it or just make sure the attached pipework is well supported ? Just wondering what support I need if any?

Looking at that top trend (after mods) it seems that the heater was on for 5 minutes (2338 to 2343) before cutting out at 63C, it then stayed off for ~ 16 minutes (2343 to 2358) before cutting back in, so apparently on ~ 24% of the time (5/21). If I am interpreting this correctly then fine if mains boosted or if the whole cylinder is hot but in the day time with no usage and if "whole" cylinder not up to temperature then the diverter will not be utilized to its full potential?. Todays trend will be interesting.

I supported the feed pipework by placing a piece of wood underneath it as I didn't fancy having to remove the tank to fix any damage!

Ignore that first spike I switched it off after checking for leaks to put the hotpress back together and then boosted again to test temp. This is what it has done today I was out but the kids had 2 or 3 showers today after games. Its still heating up there and the bottom of the tank is now warm to the touch as can be seen with the return now climbing to 80c

I should have mentioned that the tank has taken 11kwh of excess today however there were some showers so I guess from cold should take 6-8kwh, up from 3-4kwh on the regular immersion.

Why is it climbing to 80C though?.

I think as the supply is now warmer? When I had the willis out last night the I checked the thermostat and it only goes 2/3 of the height of the willis so it's not detecting the hotter water at the top?

• Advertisement

The thermostat pocket and presumably the thermostat rod itself does not extend the full length of the element, also a electric heating element will emit the same heat per unit length (per inch etc) but all have the end of the element bent back up on itself so in effect is producing twice the energy for this portion of the element so perhaps this explains it? The rod measures the average temperature along its full length so its surprising that it's hitting 80C or more with a setting of 65C. Are you happy to let it rise to this temperature or do you intend to reduce the stat setting to operate at a lower temperature? and is it actually cutting out at 80C at all?.

I'm going to try to reduce it to 50c and see what impact that has, the stat is definitely working as it was cutting out previously and the diverter shows this. The bottom of the heater is still cool to touch so I guess the flow-through is keeping the stat within its limit.

The tank took a massive 13kwh today and I've now set the stat to 45c, 20c less than it was so I'm hoping that translates to a max output of 70c. Tomorrow doesn't look like a great day for solar so it might be a while before there's enough excess to heat the whole tank again and test but I'll let you know.

Hopefully you will get consistent switching because the circulating head at say 30C/65C is 81% of the circulating head at 15C/65C, if not, you could consider installing a pipe stat on the flow pipe and use the existing stat(s) as supervisory, I have used 16A gas filled EPH pipe stats on a few relation's solid fuel appliances and they give very consistent control with a switching hysteresis of ~ 5C.

I have a 50 year old (Santon) dual immersion and it doesn't use a rod stat, the stat is surface mounted on the immersion boss, electric showers use the same method to protect against scalding, the TCO (thermal cut out) is mounted on top of the heating can and switches off the power at exactly 48C.

Isn't it strange that this problem has never apparently reared its head previously or if so doesn't seem to be posted anywhere.

The pipe stat is a great idea wired in series with the existing stat right? I think I might have turned the stat too low as despite 2 showers last night some reverse circulation/convection overnight has the supply side of the willis warm and it hasn't switched on today despite there being some excess available. I couldn't find much about this online either beyond people recommending it.

Granted that there is a temperature gradient through the heater but that stat might just be faulty, it should certainly have switched in after reducing setpoint to 46C?, easy to test when removed but probably unable to withdraw it downwards with upside down installation, pipe stat certainly worth investing in anyway for €15 or so and yes. just wire it in series, only drawback just maybe a little slow to reset despite its 5C hysteresis due its location vs the rod type which is longer and just may reset sooner but no use if not switching consistently if in fact its not faulty.

This is interesting, sorry about the size of the picture which I pinched from Topline.ie where the script shows it a little to small to read easily.

Just wonder why 50cm max?

The inculsion of a ball valve in the feed is also interesting, would certainly facilitate changing the element if the Willis wasn't too low down, otherwise it would still help removing the Willis.

It started heating as soon as there was a shower this am as the willis short circuits the hot feed when the shower is on cold water from the bottom of the tank was drawn into it and the stat closed, I turned the stat up to 50c this afternoon and I'll leave it there for a while and see how it performs. Not least as to get to it now I have to remove the shower pump and the fact its upside down close to the floor makes adjusting even more difficult! Would there be any benefit to fitting a non-return on the return from the willis or would it just impede circulation in the correct direction? My installation is not too dissimilar to the pic above now I just need to source some insulation for the return pipework.

I wonder if it would stop the short circuit if the return for the Willis from the cold feed was taken down low (assuming there is room for that) and then up into the Willis?

John.G has shown the Circulatory Head is so low that I doubt it would be good enough to open a valve of any form?

• Advertisement

Couldn't see a NRV working, even if it did it would only prevent reverse short circuiting if this occurs as well?.

Is there much of a short circuit flow when using HW? ie to what degree does it cool down the cylinder HW outlet,

Advertisement