Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fall of the Catholic Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Imagine if we had to sit through performances of prayers by the subby before we were allowed to access the motorway or the Council house?

Alive-o is based on a series of cultural myths that have no relevance to people outside of that cultural group. Why would we be paying teachers to spend valuable classroom time to propagate cultural myths?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Correction. That’s your interpretation of what I described. Your entitled to that critique. It doesn’t make it reality.

How do you know what kids are ‘earning’ for choosing to participate in the day?

Did it ever occur to you that some of those children are eager to deliver the readings, for which they have practiced diligently? That they are excited to be confirmed, standing with their sponsor that they have explicitly chosen? That they get to spend the day with their families and cousins?

No, it all comes down to monetary gain, doesn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Irelands Catholicism was based on overtly strong clericalism revering these men so its not surprising at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What if, instead, the kids were taken to an amusement park for free reign for a day, lots of treat food and time with their friends. No preconditions - just go, no training, no goth dresses, nothing. Would they enjoy that as much? Why not offer them that choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

There is a very clear point - motive. You've missed twice now.

I've no problem with the ceremony or the day, but the kids should be doing it for the right reasons and it's not just a day - there's a commitment involved - which no one, even the devout Catholics - seems to realise.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

To add to this, try leaving. Someone on the atheism thread went through all the steps they needed to take to officially leave, void their baptism or whatever. Not easy, as you can imagine, the RCC doesn't want you to leave. Like any cult. At least they didn't put snakes in that person's postbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

All parenting involves a certain amount of indoctrination Andrew.

Insist that your children need to be in bed by 9 on a school night? Indoctrination.

Insist that your kids know that they make sure they are always first in line disregarding everyone else?

Indoctrination.

Every single time you give your child instructions, guidelines, rules and regulations you are indoctrinating them. It’s not safe or practical to allow children to make their own decisions and choices about things. You surely must know that?

But you do know that. What your real problem is Andrew is that you simply cannot accept that people make different decisions and choices to the ones that you make. For some reason it makes you very angry that you can’t stop people from doing, thinking and saying things that you don’t approve of. You want to control this or at least know that there is An Office which will or can control others so that everyone behaves as you think they should.

In another thread you insisted for page after page after page that you could reach back from beyond the grave to control the funeral you’d have….in case people still alive would take it on themselves to do something you didn’t like.

Do ya think that it’s taking over your life a little bit?

I already explained to you that girls do not wear dresses when being confirmed. Your ‘quip’ about goth dresses wasn’t funny or incisive the first time. Why wheel it out again?

All the kids in my family went to Tayto Park a few weeks ago. They had an amazing time apparently. On Thursday, my eldest niece was confirmed, participated in a faith-based ceremony that is meaningful to her grandparents and parents. She willingly opted in and chose a confirmation name, honoring her late grandmother. Again, she and her cousins had an amazing day.

There’s no dichotomy here. Faith-based and secular events aren’t mutually exclusive. Many families manage to find the right balance and see them happily co-exist in the lives of their children. Why does that bother so much?

You are a catholic because your parents or other loved one brought you to the church to be baptised by a priest.

that baptism was noted in a register by the priest so that if you showed up with the same loved ones some years later or maybe on your own looking for the sacrament of first Eucharist (or any of the other sacraments, reconciliation, confirmation, matrimony) that the priest could check the register to see if you were actually a catholic at all.

The register says that you were brought on a particular day and who brought you and a few other facts.

What would you like the priest to do wit that entry in the register? Pretend it didn’t actually happen?

I didn’t miss your point. It was just poorly articulated.

Au contraire Princess. You clearly do have a very big issue with the ceremony and the day. You underestimate people Princess. Most do understand that their is a commitment involved. However, the execution of that commitment is variable. But that’s human nature and applies to all facets of life.

Returning to my earlier question; how many children do you have Princess? How is your family life personally impacted by Catholicism?

• Advertisement

As an adult, I have the right to get that entry erased. Like I said, it's a cult - leaving is hard, but doable.

They have a law in Germnay - people who are subscribed to a Christian church pay 3% extra income tax and that is passed on to whatever church they belong to. You can opt out of course - but there was a push by the RCC to get anyone baptised in a church anywhere in the EU to have to pay it, but it failed. There was also talk about refusing sacraments to those who didn't (fair and good move, I thought) but I don't know anything came of it.

Wonder who things would fare if that was brought in in Ireland?

No, you missed it.

Why would I have a a problem with the ceremony? I have a problem with it taking away from school time - sure - because it's school time not religion time. I find the ceremony to be a bit dishonest and fake and I don;t understand how agree with this and saw, ah sure it's still a nice day out.

NO kids of my own, but I'm in a relationship with a woman who has two kids, being raised with knowledge of but not a memebr of any faith. Why is that important?

It is a record of an event which took place.

Your baptism.

What you’re trying to do is insist that something which DID in fact happen, didn’t happen at all. Surely you can see that that’s not possible?

Who is preventing you from leaving this cult?!? Are you being harassed by other members??

So is a marriage and a marriage can be annulled.

For me, it wouldn't be about erasing it, it's about updating it.

There was a website called countmeout which allowed people to officially leave the catholic church, but the church refused to accept it. Don't know what the status is today.

Actually, you can get the entry altered after the baptism one showing 'left'. It might be they mark it 'apostate.' Doesn't really matter. The A&A threads link to sites with this information.

Yes a catholic marriage can be annulled. IF some boxes are ticked, chiefly one which says that one of the couple lacked the mental capacity to permit the marriage being entered into in the first place, or that they were coerced by a third party into entering into the marriage.

What has this got to do with your parents and your godparents very happily taking you to be baptised and most probably having a lovely party afterwards?

When you’ve argued with them about why/how did they inflict this on you, a helpless baby, what do they say? Do they apologise??

I'm not - I'm pointing out that the church is willing to record changes.

It is interesting that you say "lacked the mental capacity to permit the marriage being entered into in the first place" and then say "a helpless baby" in the the next.

In answer to your last question - never talked about it with them. My baptism still stands on the record. Whoever, I'm no longer living in Ireland so I'm not counted there one way or there and German anmeldung/reigstration forms allow me to list myself as KR/Keine Religion (which is accurate).

What you have to realise is that for some posters here there is an extra little bit of disappointment right now for some posters to add to the general discontent and disappointment with the slowness of the disintegration of the Catholic Church in Ireland.

You can only imagine the elation among some with which they would have greeted the news of the closure of the churches during the lockdown.

Surely this would be the final nail in the coffin for Catholics.

Surely with so long away from the sacraments they wouldn’t return when they did reopen? Surely they’d have got out of the way of going. Started to enjoy lazy Sunday mornings in bed?

No, it seems theyve just gone back to the old routine😩

How very annoying…

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Parents want to decide but 95% of the education system is working against them

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

That's a ridiculous comparison. We don't have catholic motorways...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'd guess they'd like the priest to stop pretending that every baptised person is still Catholic.

Based on my immediate family experience, the ability to get a marriage annulled has more to do with the ability to bring financial resources to the table than any questions about mental capacity. The family member who got his first marriage annulled had no end of capacity, as did his first wife, both graduates, both working in professional roles, both in their mid-twenties, but just weren't compatible. My family member was delighted to get an annulment so he could marry again, just like Henry VIII did. It was all about influence and finances, not about capacity.

Absolute strawman position - playing the victim card.

How do I know? Because I talk to people and read the news. It's not hard really.

Do you seriously believe that this isn't a factor for the average 12 year old making a decision to partake?

And there's that 'drama performance' delight again - shouldn't they just be doing a school play or concert, something that ALL their friends can join in with?

The difference would be that with normal instructions or rules, there is solid evidence behind them. There is solid evidence around the importance of good sleep hygiene for children and others. There is good evidence around the importance of a healthy diet.

There isn't good evidence about some mystical creature who is intently focussed on what you do or don't do with your genitals and when you do or don't do it. That's a big difference in fairness.

I'm not going to bite on your attempts to inflame and personalise the debate, trying to make it all about me and even dragging up unrelated matters from other threads. It's not about me. It's about stopping those who want to impose their personal value systems on others, using State resources to do so.

Fine. But it shouldn't have anything to do with the school. That's the point you appear to be deliberately avoiding.

How would that be possible? Ireland hasn't been 95% Catholic, or even Christian, in decades.

Even if Ireland was 99.9% practising Catholic, having religion imposed in schools would still be wrong.

Of course you have every right as have any of us to comment and have an opinion on any subject you choose.

Ireland isn’t a terribly happy place to live right now. My daughter (24) and most of her friends have left not, like previous years, because of the lack of opportunity (I don’t think there was ever as much opportunity) but because of the increasing levels of….hostility I guess is a good word…that pervades the general air at the moment.

Never feeling safe out at night or even walking around the shopping centre in the middle of the day.

Anti social behaviour, one suicide after the next, friends with chronic addiction issues causing serious mental health problems for which there’s no treatment available, a shallow consumer driven greedy angry scene with, worst of all, no hope.

They’re gone to a place where you have to stand on your own two feet and take responsibility for your own actions and suffer the consequences, instead of blaming everything and everyone else every time you fall down.

Im glad for her and for all of them.

🙄🙄

What advantage do you imagine it is to the priest to pretend that every baptised person is still a practising catholic? Is that what you honestly believe the priests think?? Why or how would they think that?

As someone who for many years assists very poor people in getting the ball rolling on their annulment procedure I’m baffled by your allegation that money talks in catholic annulments. It’s just not true…

Im afraid it seems to me it’s your own obsession with genitals, men wearing frocks etc that’s jumping out of these threads. 50 years of close involvement with RCC I’ve never had a cleric mention genitals nor have I ever encountered a priest wearing a dress. But that’s your own business. You keep mentioning it. No one else does.

Are you not trying to impose your own personal values system on more or less everyone Andrew, when your so outraged at parents making choices you don’t approve of?

Do you genuinely not see the hypocrisy here?

Hang on. Did you even bother to read my previous posts before launching into your little diatribe?

1. I’m not avoiding anything. I’m relating the personal experience of my family and those known to me.
    2. I’ve already stated that I’m in favor of the RCC retreating from education to only serve a specifically catholic demographic via faith-based schools. I don’t know if that’s 30%, 50%, 75%, or perhaps closer to 100% of the population currently attending catholic schools. The RCC should snap to that community, leaving other schools entirely secular.

Fair enough - but one little point needing clarificagtion (which may bave been a typo)

In point two - how are you defining "faith-based" and what are "other schools"? Aren't they all national schools?

• Advertisement

Are you really that blinkered that you can’t comprehend that there are parts of this country that are overwhelmingly catholic?

Case in point, the confirmation I attended was attached to a catholic primary school in my semi-rural home town in the west. Almost everybody is catholic; the weekly masses still draw a significant crowd; virtually all children are raised in the faith.

Almost all the children in my niece’s year were confirmed. The only kids who weren’t was one Irish family who opted out and one non-national family, with a different religious background. How is it so difficult for you to comprehend that many such communities exist across the country?

Advertisement