Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will a different Vodafone broadband & voice package break my monitored alarm system setup?

• 12-05-2022 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26

I had to query an item on my landline broadband and voice bill (Vodafone), and the agent offered "a cheaper package with everything the same".

But when the fine print email arrived, it included this:

"...If broadband and voice:

You can make and receive calls on your home phone using broadband voice

technology. Some services such as monitored alarm systems, fax machines etc.

which worked through traditional landline functionality will no longer work with this

service."

My alarm system is a GE Simon 3, exEircom Phonewatch from 2008 but monitored for years now by another company, still doing all we want.

Does the fine print from Vodafone mean that switching to the "cheaper" package will break this monitoring setup? (it certainly seems to say that!)

Can I avoid that by cancelling the package switch within the cooling-off period, or was the landline monitoring going to get broken anyway in the near future?

Any advice welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,798 ✭✭✭✭altor

Traditional land line used for monitored alarm are becoming a thing of the past as digital lines are now used.

So basically the alarm system may not talk to the monitoring station, they are making you aware of this as it is an issue.

Your service provider may have to install a GSM on that system if they can get one or else upgrade the system and use the sensors that are in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 BSOH

Is there a timeline for when all lines in a particular district will shift from "traditional" to "digital"? I have FTTC, so copper wires coming into my house, but as far as I know they run only to the fibre cabinet about 200 m away, and then it's fibre all the way back to wherever. I'm puzzled as to the technical reasons here: I can dimly grasp that older alarm systems might be doing something naughty over copper wires that wouldn't work with fibre, but how is the copper/fibre transition managed successfully at present (for alarm monitoring) at the Eir cabinet??

The alarm panel will send the signal to the monitoring station through the landline. It can be hit and miss with the fibre line.

Here is a video CSL made to explain.

Also, here is the map they have done so check out your area to see if its been complete or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 BSOH

Thanks, Altor. I'm very impressed by the way you do so much to help and inform people like me on this forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement