Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

She apologised because like many organisations, SF didnt have the correct procedures in place.

There is no ‘vitriol’ Astro, you havent been able to produce a word of it from McDonald.

You bluffed but when asked to back up you flapped in the wind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

If you're a shinner. Other cases seem to drag on and on or very expensive tribunals allowed gather dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It would be handy for her to refute it. All she needs to do is to point to all her public statements and expressions of belief in those victims.

Anyway, I think you listened to the wrong interview.

There are plenty of people that don't like to be held accountable alright. That is why they love availing of SLAPPs and abusing similar threatening legal mechanisms

And quite simply Donald, many people have been defamed and have been vindicated by the courts.

If you want a situation that allows people to say what they want without redress, then YOU are the danger.

• Advertisement

Definitely on this too. RTE have the benefit of the presumption of innocence. As of now, they are innocent and are not guilty of defaming Ms. McDonald.

Is someone who has not been defamed takes a case against a public broadcaster like this, one reason can be to suppress the freedom of the press to report things that that person might not like to be highlighted or made public.

All we can say for now is that MLMD has filed High Court proceedings against RTE who are still presumed entirely innocent.

The issue is that the SF supporters seem to have had a speedy trial between themselves and found RTE guilty. Which is a little mad, given there is actually no evidence.

Nope. RTE are the national public broadcaster. It is their mandate, among other things, to question politicians.

I understand HQ might be sending down orders to the plebs that their great leaders cannot and must not be questioned, but most people prefer to be able to hold others accountable for their actions.

If a billionaire wants to be able to use the legal system to bully and intimidate the press into staying silent maybe on how he obtained licences to start up for example, to hold people to account so that the public were not ripped off, you are well within your rights to support and encourage him to do so if you want.

SF ostensibly fill their supporters with guff about being a party of the people. What have we had in the last week - a lovely proposal to remove those nasty property taxes from poor multi-millionaire landlords and to finance it by taking away the supports for the ordinary person to get onto the property ladder. And the eejits lap it up 🤣

They have a few "leaders for life" with their feet under the table and god forbid anyone is going to threaten or challenge their personal gravy train. Ironically - kings and queens almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

As I said, we can look at the abuse evidence once we know if you think MLMD was defamed on the morning Ireland show, there's little point in arguing about what vitriol means with someone who is afraid to give their opinion as a starting point (as much fun as it would be to have another dictionary term argument with a blind follower of SF).

Good one Francie.

Yet you are so animated about a mechanism that is only availed of by the wealthy and powerful.

If you think that public officials shouldn't be subject to public scrutiny, you are entitled to hold that position. Why you would do it, I don't know. Unless you beleive the guff from your leadership who are only using you to keep them in their own positions of luxury.

You just want others to be as bad as yourself Astro.

You don't need my judgement, just post evidence of 'vitriol directed by MLMD at MC'.

• Advertisement

You just want others to be as bad as yourself Astro.

Do elaborate. I've never ever shied from a debate or discussion or hid anything, or pretended to be something I'm not.

If you want a discussion on how MLMD treated Mairia Cahill we need to know where you stand on whether defamation occurred there, if you believe defamation occurred then you need to show that vitriol wasn't directed at Mairia Cahill same as I have shown the vitriol and slurs directed at her previously (which MLMD publicly and unequivocally apologised for multiple times, Maira doesn't accept the apology though). That you can't look yourself in the mirror and admit your own opinion is your own issue. But look, 46 pages in and you've moved onto accepting the case is about Mairia Cahill and are trying to put up a defence for it, we did get there in the end, didn't we?

I've also admitted to being wrong when I'm wrong (and apologies to MLMD if this case is about anything other than the Morning Ireland Show where I believe Mairia Cahill had the right to say what she said, any evidence that they let go public can be evaluated later on it's own merits when the press isn't silenced about it).

YOU made the claim that 'MLMD directed vitriol at MC', YOU were asked to back that up. Asking me to pre-empt the court with out detail is a smokescreen for your as yet inability to back up what you claimed.

Francie you are on the wrong side here.

Stop using the ordinary person as a human shield in your fight to remove them of their democratic protections.

MLMD has huge access to the media. She is probably interviewed for the news 4 days a week. She can easily rebut whatever she wants from this phantom defamation.

You would sacrifice one of the most important democratic protections in the system, to the detriment of the ordinary people of this state, just so you can keep your privileged middle class child of a developer in the comfort she so desires. Harking back to feudalism and the prerogatives of the kings. If you want to be a serf, that's your choice.

Anyone can put the label of "republicanism" onto anything they want, and pretend they are doing what they are doing to help others, in order to get what they want. Whether that be a politician, or a criminal like your man Alan Ryan in Dublin. Or a "good republican" "alleged" smuggler like Slab Murphy. I think that is how one politician described Mr. Murphy! It keeps the useful idiot plebs down and keeps them happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭malk518

Hope she batters RTE. It's gone the way of RT. It's really unhealthy how biased our national broadcaster has gone.

You can stop calling others to lay out evidence when you refuse to engage on the subject matter, I have laid out the evidence and shown that based on what has occurred, defamation did not occur.

You need to get off the fence and take your head out of the sand and say whether defamation occurred and why based on the past awful treatment of Mairia Cahill.

Please stop accusing me of not backing up what I am saying, I have done this multiple times and you keep running away from tackling it like a chicken.

If and when further evidence beyond the morning show segment becomes available, I'll be happy to revise my opinion accordingly.

That is demonstrably untrue in so many ways. Mairia Cahill aired her opinions of MLMD. Should RTE not allow Mairia Cahill on any of their shows? Who else would you like to censor?

Well I guess that's as good a way to bow out of your charade as any but obviously one important point,I told no lies here

You're confusing 'evidence' with 'opinion'.

Won't you be happy when SF and MLMD can no longer deny not believing abuse victims and supporting the IRA interviewing them?

Or is the real issue, a fear other parties and their shills can no longer make claims based on the feeling in their waters?

MC gets airtime and thats fair. I don't believe MLMD was involved. MC should make a case against SF and if it bears fruit, as the leader, MLMD should àddress it in that capacity. RTE claiming MLMD doesn't believe abuse victims and supports the IRA interviewing them, is on Morning Ireland to show, or lose the case.

No you haven't backed up what you claimed. I haven't seen a single word of vitriol directed by MLMD at MC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The anti-SF/anti-progress crew here seem to have solved the delays in out legal system though so fear not. The solution - don't listen to the evidence, just decide based on personal prejudices. The backlog would be cleared in 3/4 days.

Give an example then? Certainly lot the MLMcD case as you've not the first idea about its contents.

Donald's position could best be summed up as wanting to means test rights.

You're using incorrect criminal law terminology. There's no guilt or innocence here. RTE have either defamed or they haven't.

SF supporters have not stated that RTE is in breach. They've suggested that the hair-trigger reactionaries should wait and see. The converse is true in that yourself and other have made quite ignorant judgements without even the most basic information on the case. And then unwisely posted it in public though your anonymity here is very useful in this instance.

A SLAPP is an action where a person uses a dubious claim of defamation in order to silence the press.

As I am sure you are aware, and as they have indicated, RTE cannot comment on the matter as it could prejudice the "pending" court case. They have, if you will, been silenced.

As you readily admit, you don't know what the source of this defamation is. That is a defamation claim against a public broadcaster, whose public broadcasts are all still available online........yet you can't figure out the defamation.

Not true Franice. It is only your own ignorance showing through here. The courts have consistently held that such rights have to be considered in conjunction with the right to a free press and the public interest.

You stated that MLMcD directed vitriol at MC. Where and when?

Don't bother with your pseudo-legal babble here. You don't know what you are talking about. You want to start talking about various aspects of Tort that is fine with me. Bring it on. Your first learning point for today is that "guilt" is not a concept restricted to criminal law. You can have that one for free

I asked you for an example of a SLAPP case. Do you have any?

At present it can't be MLMcD as you've not got the foggiest regarding its contents. You categorically stating it's SLAPP implies you have insider information or are certain it has no merit and will thus fail. Which?

• Advertisement

Absolutely true Donald, you are attacking her on the basis of her means as well as others. Again, own the implications of what you write.

You cannot administer rights on the basis of means. Everyone has the right or nobody has.

The press/media have nothing to fear if they are responsible and tell the truth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement