Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Options

Comments

Has anyone bought one of those cheap projectors? It seems too good to be true, so I imagine they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

I bought one last week. Quick test and it seems ok.

It came with a 100 inch screen (basically a sheet) so that's probably not going to be up to much.

Will be using it properly this weekend so will test it on live sports and then on movies to see how it fares and if it's worth spending good money on a proper screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sappy404

That projector has incredible specs for the price but the reviews suggest they're less than accurate. That said I wouldn't trust the included screen - these vendors always include a semi-permeable screen for use with rear projection rather than an opaque screen that would be miles better for front-projection. I'd say if you have a white wall it would be a lot better that the reviews have said in a semi-bright room.

In my experience, if you want the novelty of a big screen for the odd sporting event or movie night with the kids, this is a very good price especially if you have a compatible (DLNA/uPNP) video app. But don't expect the picture to better a half-decent TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

I wish amazon would do something about these offers where you have to go to the checkout page to see the final price where they calculate the import fees on the full price. One of them isn't removing the UK vat either.

It seems like it will be cheaper for someone with prime but i'm getting similar final prices for both sellers above £84, I'd probably bite at around €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I buy solar fairy lights every 2 years or so for around the patio. They say average life span is 2 years. It does what it says on the tin. Very good value imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭con747

Projector comes in at under €51 delivered with Amazon Prime using my cards exchange rate on Sterling.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

will this projector play off a usb stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've one of those cheap projectors. They are good for a novelty. It needs a room with the right set up, basicallly one big empty wall. We have a cream black out blind on the big sitting room window so that works a threat.

But most of the time I spend half an hour setting it up, picking the movie the kids want, and ten mins into the movie they are off doing something else and I pack it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Damn ungrateful little **** lol. Typical kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Dunno who is worse, you for buying or Governments for letting sh1te be produced that's going straight into the ocean on it's way to be "recycled" in 2 years.

• Advertisement

The what's, what in the whatty now?

It's solar. Green energy 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 46,028 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Ordered a pair of swimming shorts. Delivery time was 9 days. On the 9th day, yesterday, it changed to “Item has been delayed. Come back in a few days for a refund if not received”. Woke up to a message saying my return has now bee received and my refund processed. That’s bloody efficient, somehow having my item, which I didn’t receive, returned, not by me and processed in the time it took me to have a sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

Double post: any way to delete a post on the new forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

You can get ones that have a replaceable 1.2V NIMH rechargeable battery inside so that should easily prolong the life if you replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Anyone recommend a good bargain on an electric head shaver?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭positron

I had ordered a €10 pair of replacement wheels for luggage from Amazon. It didn't work and I wanted to return, and they asked me to post it back to them - and Amazon refunded the postage - which was €9.

Also wanted to return a £25 Goodthreads shirt - straight to "Returnless Refund".

Amazon being Amazon, made worse with Brexit.

it arrived today. I’ve had a quick play. As far as I can see, YouTube looks good on it.

but I cannot for the life of me get Netflix, Disney+, Prime or Mubi to airplay over to it 😂

‘tis the pirates life for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Wonder if anyone can shed light on the validity of the Customs duty charged on a recent purchase from Amazon. A tube of organic toothpaste from a private seller cost £4.20 and I was charged €12.00 Customs. I naturally returned the item, but this customs duty was not reflected at check out, or on item description.

This leaves me totally uncertain as to how charges are fixed on any particular item and I shall have to discontinue ordering from Amazon.

Thanks to anyone who has a full understanding of how custom charges work on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭wandererz

Were you charged the €12 upon delivery by the local delivery company / an post?

Goods sold & fulfilled by Amazon charge duty at checkout.

Goods sold by other sellers most likely won't charge duty. These work out very expensive because UK vat isn't removed. They might not charge for UK vat but when you look at the price you automatically assume its Inc vat & should be removed. Then Irish vat is added by customs. Whoever is delivering it will also charge you a handling fee for dealing with customs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've only being ordering goods dispatched by Amazon as they charge and pay any taxes due.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Received my kindle today. It's actually "used:good" even though it doesn't say it anywhere on the advert

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Mine said 'used:good' when buying, but in fairness, it could have been classed as 'used:like new' as it's prestine. I have an ancient kindle without a backlight, so this is a true bargain at the price.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mine is definitely used. It's dirty, has what looks like food stains in it, and there's a few hairs "stuck" around the edge of the screen. Absolutely disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^

maybe the previous user was reading a 'dirty' book??😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Yes, that they down!oaded from a pubic library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Advertisement