Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine (Mod Note & Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

There are people on this thread who are pushing an agenda *very hard* that EU countries want to buy russian gas because they are either too cowardly or enamoured with Russia or even happy about the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Their argument is a steaming pile and their constant droning is getting quite tiresome.

To me the German indecision is quite typical and tallies with a lifetime of experience. The motto here is "don't do anything hasty or too drastic. Try small measures in small doses over a longer time and don't do anything too rash or radical. Easy does it".

Germany never engages in fast, radical, decisive action. Their reaction to COVID was by far the most drastic and far-reaching set of measures ever taken here and it pissed of quite a large number of people.

Of course you get assholes here who either support Putin and also many people (sadly also my own brother) who prescribe to the whole "NATO provocation" theory. But the vast majority of people here support sanctions against Russia. Even the 6 or more Russians who work in my company. And you can guess what my Syrian coworker thinks about Russia. Yes, he lost absolutely fcuking everything. No normal, decent person supports Putin.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

@correct horse battery staple

Quote:

I will personally pay any price for petrol to undo this, and I’m sure i speak for 80% of the 500 million people in Europe who are sick of Russia and their crap

I just want to say that I am 100% on board with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭McGiver

Where is the ultimate TURN OFF button to mute all these Russian apologetists, trolls, useful idiots, provocateurs, contrarians and other lot that don't contribute anything to a sensible rational discussion and just cause noise and saw discord?

🤔

You're one of them, if it wasn't clear 🤗

Because the US has existing infrastructure in place and is a major producer of oil and gas.

The EU is neither. We can't switch over to other gas suppliers overnight because the infrastructure is not there and can't be built overnight. That is an absolute fact that cannot be denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

How long are you on boards now you don't know where the ignore button is? Please put me on it! But you like the likes don't you?

• Advertisement

I agree the gas situation is a huge problem, and is the result of decades of stupid european policy not just with gas, but with most resources. The idea that we should not produce/secure our own but instead import the cheapest from elsewhere, is really coming home to roost now. Right now its Russian oil/gas/fertiliser/rare earths, next it could be China and the worlds factory

As far as I despised offshore gas and fracking (on environmental grounds), it's either that now or buy expensive LNG from the US or from unstable regimes in Africa or Asia. Both create dependency, just replace one of dependency, the Russian one, with another one. Not good. Temporarily maybe.

Moving forward medium term - fracking, offshore, reduce, recycle, replace with renewables...

@Detritus70

There are people on this thread who are pushing an agenda *very hard* that EU countries want to buy russian gas because they are either too cowardly or enamoured with Russia or even happy about the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Their argument is a steaming pile and their constant droning is getting quite tiresome.

I don't know if you meant me but...

It's not agenda, it's a correct reading of the situation and this failed long term strategy. Accompanied with the unwillingness to commit to reversing it quickly. It's not the lack of action, yes Germany moves slow er know it, its the lack of strong commitment and clear plan. Germany was pushed to it by the US, UK and the CEE EU countries. If they didn't, Germany would probably do nothing...

The main culprits are Germany, Italy and Austria in that order. Germany of course is the most important (50% of Russian gas exported to the EU).

German social democrats created this "Russian friendship policy" willingly from in the 90s, and it all smells with apologetism, nepotism and corruption as well - Schröder Gazprom etc. By late 90s it was obvious Russia was going back to what it always was and the "new hope of peaceful civilised Russia" after 1991 was only a dream.

What's worse, Merkel just continued in the same Schröder's policy for 20+ years. Now, the CDU-CSU are suddenly very critical and hawkish of Scholz, better late than never.

As it stands, Scholz's weakness has managed to damage German global reputation and Germany lost its de facto unofficial EU leadership / policy driver / unifying role, which is very unfortunate. Because French leadership isn't really palatable to me (and many others), especially under Macron with his little Napoleon syndrome (too much talking, little action, too pushy/unilateral etc).

I criticise current German position and attitude as a germanophile by the way, because it's a shame and bad for the EU as a whole (in my opinion). German energy and foreign policy is an abject strategic failure. The faster it's corrected the better. This is the basis of what you call "an agenda" 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Hi. I'll post this here rather than DM it as it could be useful information to others.

You have an ignore list. If you no longer wish to see a particular posters comments, for whatever reason, you simply add them to it. There are two ways to do this:

Simpler Way

You visit their profile and there will be an option there to add them to your ignore list.

However ,this will not work if they have their profile set to private (which most posters seem to do)

Alternative Method

Alternatively, you can go to your profile page (if you're on desktop click on your avatar in the top right and then click on it again from the expanded box). Once in there you will see a dropdown menu at the top of the screen and you can access it from there:

After you have added someone to your ignore list you will still see that they have posted but you won't see the content of their posts:

the only time you will see their messages if is another poster quotes them in response:

And yes I know there are many arguments for not doing this. Mainly that if everyone ignores a poster then their posts go unchallenged. While that might be true, responding to everything they say only gives them more fuel. Typically these posters are not going to be won over by a superior, evidence based argument. They're just going to pivot and deflect. It's akin to a game of whack-a-mole. At some point you just realise that you're wasting your time and falling into their trap. The more engagement their post get the further their reach.

Let me just state that, for me, this is a last resort. I will give any poster the benefit of the doubt. At some point though you know what you're dealing with. I have 7 posters on my ignore list. Every single one of them from this thread. Only one of them is still posting here regularly. A couple of the others were ultimately banned.

You know, a smiley makes you neither clever nor right.

Of course you would have no idea what it was like in the 70's and 80's in Germany, or indeed a lot of mainland Europe. We all knew where the nuclear bunkers were. We knew what the air raid sirens meant and when the drills where. Fighter jets flying extremely low and supersonic over German cities resulting in unbearable noise and broken windows were not just a daily, but several times a day occurrence.

The newest developments between the UdSSR and the US were in the news every day, there were anti-war and anti nuclear weapons demonstrations every week and we all knew how fast Germany would be anihilated by either the advancing Soviet army or nuclear weapons. This was not too long after the war and many people remembered it all too well. To me it was normal that elderly people had limbs missing or scars from old bullet wounds. And don't forget the mental scars, imagine a country with millions of traumatised people that could barely function.

Plus, Germany was actually only half a country, anyone here remember our temporary capital city of Bonn?

Germany didn't have much of an army and it was strictly defence only. Never again should this army fight on foreign soil.

So yes, there is a very well founded reluctance by Germany to be overly aggressive or militaristic. We know where this sh*t leads and it's nowhere good. Don't you think two world wars are enough? We would really, really like to sit out the next one. It would be nice if only once it had nothing to do with us!

Easy for armchair heroes to judge what's going on here when they're neither here or have any fcuking clue what lead to Germany being the way it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

European energy is a bit off topic but,

most EU countries have enough gas storage for several months and they are refilling them after winter. The UK closed the Rough gas storage facility that could have stored our annual demand to save £75m a year to give an idea of how cheap storage is in the grand scheme of thing. And such facilities could be repurposed for hydrogen later so it's an investment.

Russia has killed the golden goose. Yes they can sell fuel elsewhere but with the EU and China developing renewables like crazy the technology will get better and cheaper which means lower global demand. This will also hammer Russia's exports of nuclear power plants.

After the initial operations wars are about logistics. And ultimately value for money because that's usually the limiting resource. During WWII the most cost effective way for the USA to take out German tanks was three guys, a jeep and a bazooka. Ukraine 24 just showed a report about drones dropping fin stabilised projectiles, possibly anti tank rounds. ( Before that they showed Russians or Russian Ukrainians doing the WWII victory parade including kids making papermachie helmets. )

• Advertisement

Germany and the rest of Europe is getting off Russian gas asap, it just. Doesn't. Happen. Overnight.

If you have a better idea, get in touch quick and tell them what you have figured out down the pub that every single German or European expert has overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

This is economically illiterate nonsense. For starters Erdogan appears to believe that Central Banks should reduce interest rates to combat inflation (!!!!). He has dismissed several CB governors in pursuit of this. The results are there for all to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's a alternative world view account that goes around all over boards to claim that anything bad about Turkey is actually a conspiracy or lie in some form by "someone else but the ruling party of Turkey"; think our new Russian friends accounts that we've gotten after the invasion of Ukraine but for Turkey related posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

He did not comment about loving Turks or not. He did not comment about loving Muslims or not. He commented that the Turkish economy has collapsed and is running at 70% inflation, he is correct and the argument you made was indeed "economic illiteracy".

So since you have no counter argument you decided to argue a point he never made because you have nothing sensible to say.

Well, given that my closest ancestors witnessed German and then Soviet occupation first hand (story few posts above) and that I grew up behind the Iron Curtain in a country bordering both the Western and Eastern "Democratic" Germany, witnessed the fall of the Berlin Wall and the CEE revolutions of '89 including the Velvet Revolution personally on site etc. I think I'm less of an armchair intellectual than you, don't you think? 😇

Furthermore, I have German relatives as well as friends and as mentioned I'm a germanophile, so I perfectly understand the historical post-WW2 German position.

That still doesn't mean I'm wrong criticising current German chancellor/government for their weakness in terms of military support of Ukraine and reluctance of imposing economic sanctions against the Russian fascist regime. As I said, CDU-CSU are equally, and correctly, strongly critical and hawkish. So you can't blame me of being somehow harsh or anti-German...This opinion is shared by large % of German population, the main German opposition as well as pretty much the whole political representation of the CEE region.

Are there two people posting from your account? That was actually sensible and made points that one could follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Economics101

Look, my comment was clearly about Erdogan's policy on inflation, which I consider to be incompetent as almost any professional economist in this area will tell you. It has nothing to do with any feelings I have about Turkey, or Muslims or anyone else.

Anyhow the relation of this to Ukraine is somewhat weak, so let's leave it there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If you don't know where Ireland is on a map, why are you posting on an Irish discussion site?

This thread is about Ukraine. Most people here do not come from Ukraine, we still discuss the events here based on facts as they present themselves.

• Advertisement

Great, does that mean you are finished spilling utter tosh out on your keyboard.

No interest = no inflation. Bloody flat earth theory level stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In actual news about Ukraine and moving away from bored trolls, their head of military intelligence may have just jinxed their success, claiming in August things will swing their way, towards total victory.

Who else claimed it'd all be over by Christmas? Hmmmmm, who was that...

"The breaking point will be in the second part of August.

"Most of the active combat actions will have finished by the end of this year.

"As a result, we will renew Ukrainian power in all our territories that we have lost including Donbas and the Crimea."

1: most nuclear plants are already decommissioned, the three remaining ones won't make much of a difference. Reopening the closed ones is also a non-starter, just like building LNG terminals it is a bit involved, you may be surprised to learn.

2: yes, coal plants will actually stay running a bit longer. There are currently 130 coal powered stations operational and they will actually stay open for business for a little while longer.

3: No.

4: Sorry, but this is the best time to move forward. The worst thing we could do is go back to the 19th century. Climate change isn't going away and it's no less serious than before.

I greatly respect most of your posts and I can't condemn someone who references XKCD, but I'm glad you're not sitting on some energy committee. Because it's easy to bang the table and demand Germany recommission nuclear power plants and build gas terminals and all that by next week, but it may come as a shock to hear that those things aren't easy at all. Crazy, I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

As it stands, Scholz's weakness has managed to damage German global reputation and Germany lost its de facto unofficial EU leadership / policy driver / unifying role, which is very unfortunate. Because French leadership isn't really palatable to me (and many others), especially under Macron with his little Napoleon syndrome (too much talking, little action, too pushy/unilateral etc).

I for one have no problem with France taking the EU leadership baton from Germany. It is about time it changed anyway and I hope that it benefits the French motor industry as much as Germany being the leader of Europe benefitted AUDI, BMW, MERCEDES and VW.

I hope France holds the unofficial EU lead for the next 20 years.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

It doesn't follow that the sanctions will avert nuclear war. Aren't posters aware that Pearl Harbor was attacked in retaliation to a crippling oil embargo?

I find the certainty around this odd.

Can you lay out to me where this leadership role is defined?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well for the past 20plus years German leaders have pushed for the Euro and lots of integration in Europe and Angela Merkal who was a good leader by the was very important in negotiating with Russia.

Germany was also very important during the 2008 crash and the bailouts of both Greece and ourselves too aka Ireland. Without Germany and there super low interest rates on the markets the Euro would probably have failed.

I think it's a pity she did not get some role that would have her trying to negotiate with Putin to stop what he is doing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

The French have just made terrible cars (apart from a few gems)

You cannot blame that on the German hegemony in the EU?

• Advertisement

The Japanese admiral who planned the attack also knew that it would lead to their defeat in the end, despite what other fantasists believed.

The trade embargoes were on aircraft exports, oil and scrap metal, among other goods, due to the Japanese territorial into other Asian countries and especially after the rape of Nanking and Japan signing the Tripartite Pact.

Same type of expansion fantasy that putin is involved in, regardless of the stuff some people are reading and repeating from the conspiracy theorists out there.

Now nuclear attacks aren't comparable to the Pearl Harbor attack, and there are people on both sides that know the end result would be the same for both sides as it was for Japan.

Advertisement