Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,755 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm watching a Eurovusion thing on TG4. It's hilarious how formal the audience was back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,105 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Linda Martin was on Ray D'Arcy's Screw-Up FM earlier, saying that Ireland needs to send a 'big ballad' and that the presenters of this year's contest 'looked awful'.

This is the problem with RTE - STUCK IN THE NINETIES.

Wheeling out the same oul usual suspects (Linda, Charlie McGettigan and Paul Harrington) on every TV and radio show saying the same things, being asked the same questions (I distinctly remember Linda being on Ray's show last year), Marty STILL hanging in there (even Wogan knew when to quit). These people have no idea how to use social media and are completely out of touch with today's music.

It seems RTE are almost AFRAID to move with the times, to the point that it now looks embarrassing...the Eurovision has changed so much since the 90's as well as the way music is now made, performed and promoted. But sure, let's ask Dana what makes a winning song. 😆

Post edited by Welsh Megaman on

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jamsie2001

I really like Netherlands and Portugal, also Poland..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

HAPPY EUROVISION DAY!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is it fair to say it's a bit dilusional to think the UK could get enough public votes to win, similar to us thinking be are going to qualify for a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

About to pick up some Graham Norton wine to accompany the commentary...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't think it beyond doubt. I think they'll do very well and finish innthe top few. The public will be inclined to vote for them. But I doubt the organisers will allow their judges to vote so blatantly politically. They'll be told to vote according to the normal criteria. Last year's ukranian song fininged 5th ot 6th. So it's not an unattractive style of music, but indount it'll actually win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

I would have thought the opposite, that the judges would have to vote for them and the public would not be quite as predictable. It would be pretty controversial for any country not to give them top scores.

I hope it's not controversial for a country not to give them top scores. I certainly won't see it as controversial.

The event has to be relatively objective. I don't take the Eurovision seriously (as anything other than a bit of fun). But they have to take themselves seriously at the very least. Telling the judges who the winner should be is to make a mockery of the competition, from within the competition.

We'll see how it works out.

I wonder what colour Mika’s suit will be tonight.

It could be brown, it could be blue, it could be violet sky…

Yes, I could be calling it wrong but I just expect Ukraine to win in a total landslide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Has anyone seen any good bets that they’d recommend?

I got 50/1 on Norway being in the top 3. Thought that was worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭delboy85

Bet365 have Poland, Greece and The Netherlands all on odds of 66/1. I think any of those would be worth an each way bet.

They are also offering 10/3 for Ukraine finishing in 3rd place or below. As someone who is not convinced that Ukraine have this in the bag I think those odds are good.

As it stands (come on Moldova!!)…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I wonder if Brooke had sung the song without the American/weird accent so we could all understand it if she would have done better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jamsie2001

Sweden is the only decent song in that top 5 list.

I am a die-hard Eurovision fan but i just don't get this list at all...the Spain song is awful..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Swedish song is brilliant, one of my favourite songs of recent years.

Any other year it would romp home.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

Ukraine will win by a considerable margin I think. The field this year is pretty weak. If I had to pick a song I would like to see win it would Sweden or Italy win. They are the only two that any way decent. Reminds me very much of 2011. That was a weak year too with an equally weak winner from Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The schedule for this 4 hours.... I always thought it was over around 11pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Also has the clocked changed on boards or something.. it's not 4:11pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You would be fairly pissed off deep down if you where singing for a country in with a chance of winning tonight and Ukraine win it cause of politics.

No one will admit it but id be **** furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Not pushed on the Eurovision this year, weak songs, a lot of poor vocal performances and the near certainty that Ukraine will win despite not having the best song...

Hmm... I'm ready to watch this now!

Plus it should really be starting earlier than 8pm given the extended running times with the expanded voting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The Spain song is awful and I hope it doesn't win as it got only 3% in the popular vote her in Spain while a Galician group who were singing in Galician got 70% of it and didn't win. Fairly unfair.

• Advertisement

Every year, Moldova are about to deliver a maudlin piano-led ballad, until Eurovision organisers have to step in and say,

“No no, you’re MOLDOVA. You bring the crazy! Now here’s your accordion, off you pop!”

Advertisement