Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I would say she was determined to be seen out and about and it was as good a time as any. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I like that linked article from 2016 her winning a 50 pound Tesco Voucher..😂

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Have these two not split up yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Looks like they’re having trouble keeping their stories straight 😂

https://www.geo.tv/latest/416544-prince-harry-admits-to-meghan-markle-lying-about-being-denied-therapy

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

This link says exactly what has been said on the thread here about them trying to regain marketability.

From the article - Royal expert Hugo Vickers believes that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are coming to UK next month for the sake of regaining their deteriorating brand value. 

He told True Royalty TV's The Royal Beat: "I think it’s entirely to do with branding because the further away that he [Harry] gets from the Royal Family, he turns into a guy in blue jeans, with a ginger beard, coming off a plane with a backpack on.

"Which isn't very marketable in my point of view.”

Meanwhile, Russell Myers, royal editor of the Mirror added: “I think they [The Sussexes] would have wanted to be on the balcony, of course. There is an argument to say that they still need to be seen as royal.

"This is one of the biggest events of the generation and they need to stay relevant. They’re not having a great time at the moment. There is pressure from Netflix, who have dropped Meghan’s debut show Pearl [and] I think they are potentially struggling to stay relevant."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

They're now 2 nobodies who've been caught out on their lies.

Good luck trying to retain the royal persona in America when you've achieved nothing and are has beens at the jubilee. They can have a cup of tea with Andrew and pretend they don't care they're not out gurning on the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I find it incredible that Meghan actually expected people to believe her lies in the first place.

And that despite how badly she was treated <dabs eyes 😂> she still wants to be back with this awful family!

Can't think why 🙄😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

There must be some serious mental gymnastics going on with the so called Sussex Squad about H & M both being "excited" and "honored" about engaging in what amounts to a celebration of the institution they were so critical of, which was racist to Meghan and which affected their mental well being.

Post edited by valoren on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why do they always have to have the last word? "Well we didn't want it anyway, so there 😋". Seems so petty. If it's such a chore then don't go, I'm sure they can meet up with the family privately if that's what they want

• Advertisement

Yeah they bit the hand that fed them- neither “The Firm” nor the British public will be quick to forgive - they certainly won’t forget.

I’ve always thought they were killing their brand by stepping away from Royal duties- it’s evident now that’s true.

NONE of the Royal family can survive and be successful independently outside of The Firm- they need that association with pomp and ceremony to keep their brand alive- Harry killed his brand

I’ve always thought they were killing their brand by stepping away from Royal duties- it’s evident now that’s true.

Oh absolutely. Without the royal connection, there's very little to either of them, and their 'brand'. That's why their plan was to 'collaborate' so retaining the good bits that come with the titles and the royal razzmatazz and getting out of the duties.

But granny was not having that. I know I said it upthread but their best bet then, when granny kicked their plans to touch, was to stay on good terms with his family. But we all know how that panned out.

I saw a good meme somewhere of them with Oprah. Her sympathising with them about their terrible treatment. 😩

Then 'what are you going to do now?' 'Oh we are going over to join them for the jubilee'... 😉

Aside from the Queen, it’s been a struggle for all royals to be “relevant”- Prince Charles didn’t know what he had back in the 80s when he took on his sustainability agenda and ended up looking like a tree hugger who talked to flowers.it’s such a pity as sustainability could have been his crowning glory- seems he was too distracted with wanting to be Camillas tampon.

And I’m putting a link in here for the benefit of younger posters who might never have heard of this very strange but true story

https://www.newstalk.com/news/tampongate-and-six-other-british-royal-family-scandals-676194

It’s evident Randy Andy wanted money and an easy life and playing dressing up in ever more ridiculous costumes as mammy gave him more and more titles for achieving nothing.

Anne and Edward have actually turned out well overall and have kept their heads down in recent years, likely having appreciated just how lucky there are and not wanting to rock the boat.

William and Kate are doing similar although recent experiences abroad for Edward and Williamjust show how delicate the relationships are between the wider public and the royal family- a good lesson learned for William especially and I’d doubt he’ll let the senior civil servant suits get him into that situation a second time.

Harry back in the day was really popular, dedicated, passionate- I really do feel Megan’s influence on him has destroyed his purpose in life - he has rebelled against that which defined him, namely his royalty- it doesn’t matter what good cause you stand for - there’s thousands of ordinary people standing for good causes- what made Harry special was his position in society, his royalty. America is fast losing interest as are Netflix etc- they will be expecting a tell all in his book and if they don’t get that, he’s finished- but he’s finished anyway. He just doesn’t realise that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a small amount of the british public perhapse.

most don't care either way, it's just a few cult fans and the angry at everything because they are told to be brigade who won't be quick to forgive and forget, meanwhile both M&H whatever happens to their "brand" will be living their lives in the US away from it all.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

if meghan has destroyed his "purpose in life" then thank feck for her coming in to his life and showing harry that he does not have to be a little robot who does what his told and knows his place and otherwise keeps his mouth shut.

actually it's more likely he saw that for himself and realised there was a whole world out there for him away from the toxicity of the british tabloids and the flag waver elements of the british public and quite understandably he took it.

it doesn't matter how much cult fans want to think otherwise, the evil american woman who should have shut up and known her place is not responsible for harry leaving and she did not take him away from his "purpose" in life or "duty" nonsense, he has a choice and chose to get away from you all.

Fine if he wants to leave it all behind- I’m all on for that. But the fact is he’s spent the last two years trying to hang on to everything - this boll-ox of security issues and not getting a security detail and trying to hang on to Royal titles and then bad mouthing his family and implying racism- he hasn’t stopped moaning - so no, I don’t think Megan has been good for him-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

They’ve been pushing the narrative of their special relationship with the Queen for a long time - they need that relationship to keep them special. That’s what the name Lilibet was all about, and Harry’s trip over to ‘make sure she had good people around her.’ Just in case the American public forget that they are royal, and they lose the income generated from that interest.

This is what makes it hard to have any respect for Harry. If he really wanted to be out of that life he could take a normal(ish) job and live a wealthy but fairly normal life. Instead of flying around trying to become American royalty, whilst pissing on his father and brother.

it's likely the racism is more accurate then emplied and quite right therefore he should have highlighted it.

he's right to have concerns about security, there is absolutely no doubt that there are headbangers waiting for their opportunity, slighted and offended on behalf of an institution that couldn't care a less about them, or believing he has betrayed britain or some other crap.

• Advertisement

Washing your dirty laundry in public is real classy - regardless of the truth he’s mouthing off to increase his public appeal in America who actually don’t give a sh1t about him- anything he does is for publicity which means for financial gain - he can’t survive without millions trickling in his door every year and as we can see the work is drying up so he’s going to have to up his game in the tittle tattle stakes

or he is simply giving an incite into his life as part of the RF.

non-issue really, that's hardly airing dirty laundary in public, and after all if the tabloids are willing to whinge and whine and expose all sorts of nonsense then there is no complaint when a member of the RF opens up about actual experiences rather then tittle tattle.

Exactly- tittle tattle - he essentially placed everyone in the royal family other than the Queen and Prince Philip under suspicion of a racist remark about his wife - a remark that may well have been just an innocent query - that’s a crummy thing to do

And of course despite the terrible disdain they have for his family, they sure as hell enjoy continuing to use the titles.

One would think if things were as bad as they claimed, that they would want to distance themselves from all that palaver 😉 Funny, that.

And of course they are their titles, but it's strange. Not. 😂

he didn't, as we all have a fare idea of who the individual who made the remark was.

innocent or not, what we know to have been said was racist, at the bottom of the ladder certainly but still would constitute racism.

racism doesn't need to be the far right arsehole chanting about getting foreigners out, there are degrees from trivial racism right up.

Ah, Harry. No one really cares who might have asked innocently, in a family chit chat what colour your multiracial child might be. Get over yourself. The same person might also have asked if your offspring was a ginge or otherwise. (Is it racism to ask if a kid might be a carrot top?)

Apparently according to some people in this thread, yes.

It was a low thing to do- it wasn’t clear when it happened and it certainly wasn’t clear who did the asking- it was mud slinging on his whole family - he deliberately remained vague for maximum effect - it’s a non story but because he needed the publicity, he had to provide some tittle tattle - it was made to sound racist but I imagine the reality was much different but who cares about the truth as long as Harry and Megan get their all important publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

I question their "concerned" about skin colour allegations because they couldn’t even get that allegation aligned consistently between themselves. i.e. it was said privately to Harry while they were dating (according to Harry) and it was said while Meghan was expecting (according to Meghan). At least compare notes beforehand. Let’s assume what Harry said is true. Someone, before Meghan got pregnant, was “concerned” about the colour of the child’s skin. We didn't get any actual context surrounding that remark. It could be possible that this concern surrounded the idea that if the child had dark skin that this, via growing up in a bubble, high profile and public facing family, would likely invite racist balmpots to target the child throughout their life. Given that we now have social media and anonymity then that’s not an unreasonable concern to have for the child’s welfare and feel compelled to protect them from that. To re-iterate, we got no context about the remark. It might, to speculate, have been William airing this media-weary but well-meaning concern to Harry who then later relays that his brother has concerns about how dark any children they have to Meghan later on. Of course we'll never know because invoking "never explain" means we won't get both sides of it.

So when you piece it all together there is the possibility that, yes, concerns were raised, but after their funding and security was rescinded that twisting the context and clapping back via Oprah was also a possibility. Weaponising it effectively with a racist bent. I just find it interesting that when most people automatically assumed it was Prince Phillip who made the remark but they subsequently confirmed via Oprah and Gayle King at CBS that it wasn’t him or the Queen. That was tacit confirmation to me that a blatant smear agenda was at play. Now over a year later all the PR manifesting hasn't materialised. Projects have been dropped. Credibility shattered. Invictus Games are over. Tom Bower's book coming out soon about ominously being able to get through to enough "victims" despite efforts from Sussex lawyers to silence people. They are hanging onto the coat tails of the Jubilee celebrations. It's such an epic (and self-inflicted) bag fumble. 

• Advertisement

Advertisement