Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Will happen when Generation Rent Retire?

Options

Comments

I know plenty of 30 and 31 year olds that don't own a house.... They're not talking about their inheritance...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Not correct Irish people got screwed by Government/Developers/Banks in 10 year period up to 2008... Government gave tax breaks to build houses in the wrong places... Banks gave loans for said developments... Developers and banks went burst and the Government paod about 100 Billion to fbaikl out...

Trioka came in and told the Government what to do and they had to fallow rules and left about 2015... I have been aware of Vulture/Cuckoo funds for about 5 years which more or less means we went back to our old ways the week after the trioka left...

NAMA were created to look after the assets ang got involved in several dodgy deals and just last year sold apartments in Malahide to one of the said vulture funds... afaik NAMA are still in place... last i heard there was over 100 persons on over 100k salary a year and i do not know if they still exist... does anyone here know what they are doing...

Considering alot of the important people in the dail were there through all of this is it any wonder we are where we at... also large %% landlords so all ok... I feel sorry for young peofessionals...

I was told this morning i was ranting when i wasn't... i am now...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 James20221

What did they do in their 30s? I feel at 31 like Ive missed the time to buy which in my family (extended) was 20s. And in order to rent alone it would be 1400 a month and I would be unable to save

One worked in a creche, the other was doing odds and ends but they spent a fair proportion of a decade saving to get to a point where they could buy. My siblings who are older also bought at a younger age.

Also, in relation to renting alone and that not being manageable. You share with one or two people. I've shared with people in their forties in the past... That's not particularly abnormal in your thirties and that applies to anywhere in the country.

So what you want isn't available to you based on your current circumstances.

Rather than do anything about it yourself, you want someone else to solve your problems for you.

At least I know the type of folf voting sf

• Advertisement

It is to me. And it was a decade ago. Its not abnormal because of our messed up housing system.

I actually want to be allowed pay for my own home. The issue is the banks are only allowed to lend me 140,000 (460 a month) which I cannot get anything for in Dublin, yet a landlord will let me pay 1500 a month. That makes no sense

It makes perfect sense. Banks are loaning you hundreds of thousands. Landlords aren't.

If you can't repay your mortgage, bank could lose a lot of money. If you don't pay your rent, landlord lose thousands.

But that means that long term we will never have everyone owning a home again and perhaps most the population in Dublin will be renters? That seems like social breakdown to me

It makes absolute sense, a landlord doesn't view you as a thirty year deal. Meanwhile the Celtic Tiger involved giving mortgages that were far in excess of the ability to pay of an individual... Then when they found it more difficult to pay, people lost houses.

Work outside of Dublin and save. Stop feeling entitled to live in a specific location. Plenty of us give up ideal places to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

People have a habit of thinking the way things are now is the way things always will be.

The probability is that in 30 years the landscape will be hugely different.

No one would have asked this question 10 years ago but now you're asking about 30 years time.

Except very few lost homes. Evictions are generally in this country from landlords "selling up" or "renovating" than it is from people missing mortgage payments

It does feel like we have been robbed by being unlucky to have missed out on the tiger, the last time regular earners could buy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

That's your problem not the banks.

The issue here is you can't afford what you desire. That's your problem no one else's, but it doesn't always have to be that way, you have a choice, but I get the impression you'd rather b1tch and moan on here and play the victim card than upskill, work hard and work your way up to a better paying job.

This thread should be closed, it's garbage.

Do you feel the same way about everyone who is impacted by housing? Do you accept we have a housing crisis? Do you think young SF voters are just unworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭dasdog

I might move to Crete or somewhere similar. I'd sooner do the revolver and bottle of whiskey thing than pay €700k for a semi-detached in an anonymous boring leafy SCD estate with arsehole nosey neighbours comparing how much they paid and giving out about social housing. The primary reason I still live here is because I am making very good money in the tech sector and have been for two decades with rent expenditure about half the going market rate.

And contrary to what I've always thought about I actually don't think I want to retire anyway. I'm beginning to enjoy co-ordinating crisis situations in my track pants on Zoom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

OP ,Did ya ever see this film , Logans Run .

: The main thread is that everyone must die at a set age, and that age is 30.

That's what's going to happen , live your life till you're 30 and then the state kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

You need to skill up and get to 50k-60k

Banks will give 4x earnings if you show potential earnings increase.

As I have said in another thread, there are plenty of properties for 200k in commuter towns close to rail stations. Sallins is an example.

Too many people think they have to buy a 3bed semi in a salubrious suburb. My first home was a one bed apartment in rathfarnham. People said I was crazy and "no-one wants a one bed" - it sold a week after going on the market.

I moved to a 2 bed townhouse, then moved out of Dublin to a 4 bed, then moved to where I am now and at a "young" 56 am mortgage free since last year.

I'd look for a one or two bed apartment in a commuter town.

Without being morbid, your parents will pass away at some point and what they leave you should be in your calculations for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Most generation rent folk will not rent for the entirety of their lives. At some stage, they will either improve their financial status, or lower expectations and buy something/somewhere less desirable. On top of that, once they retire, they are not restricted to living in a city, so even if they are renting, they can rent somewhere cheap in the countryside. They will likely also qualify for social welfare assistance if their pension can't cover basic rent.

Renting doesn't mean you are going to be homeless when you retire. It just makes it harder to have a comfortable/enjoyable retirement.

This sounds like we are just following London, anyone left in Dublin needs to be living in poverty or super rich. Entire communities upended all in the name of the market. Shocking. Thank God Sinn Fein will be in power and can reverse this neo liberal hellscape

• Advertisement

Your parents rear and educate you... job done... off with you.. they say the £ you have in your pocket tjhe day you is a £ lost...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

I'd check what they have done in northern Ireland, especially the council areas they control.

How about allowing a developer with known links to build a phenomenally ugly apartment block in Belfast and have the "play area" for the block over 2 miles away.

Not even Fianna fail would attempt that

Be careful what you wish for.

I expect a United Ireland in about 10 years and that be a game changer i think...

Not sure if taking the pi$$. But just in case you aren't - SF have played a massive role in the property market in Ireland being what it is (and along with their ilk would be the single biggest factor), and their proposals are to make things significantly worse. But, let's not let another thread descend into SF vs FF vs FG.

I did notice they did not do anything to stop except talk... what do you mean by a massive role...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

They won't retire sadly for them just like the way it is in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jo187

My grandmother raised my mother in a council house she bought, them my mother raised me in a council house that she bought. Both were low income workers, that option is not available for me and also for lots of other people. So is it really a good society if were worse off then the previous generation? Despite us supposedly being better off then before?

The dingle overriding factor in the property crisis is that we have have had a growing undersupply over the last 30 years. The bulk of this is caused by the fact that our cities are still designed as provincial industrial era towns. The majority of Dublin city centre is 1-3 story residential, similar with our other cities. The main reason for this is SF and other far left councillors constantly try to prevent any redevelopment of the city centres and, instead, just tack on housing estates onto the outskirts of our cities and the so-called "commuter towns", which is a terrible strategy and means we are, more and more, left with a massive undersupply, terrible commutes and tiny box houses for ridiculous money.

While people blame successive governments (and they do deserve a share of the blame), they forget it is the councils who control the planning. Constantly refusing high density, plan for mass transit, create green spaces, create liveable spaces, make a city suitable for its inhabitants. Instead prioritising the social housing brigade over everybody else. And all the councils have performed terribly, especially Dublin (where the city centre is controlled by SF and friends, and has been for a long time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

push salary and get up to 50k salary

Save 1k a month for 2 years

youve now 24k

banks will give 3.5 x 50k = 175k + 24k you saved

you now have 199k you can buy this 1 bed and repayments are €643.49 a month providing you get a 2.5% interest rate which is achievable.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-76-block-d2-bow-bridge-place-kilmainham-dublin-8/3823043

or if you get an exemption if 4x salary

you now have 224k you can buy this 2 bed

@ 722 euro a month.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-16-hampton-wood-green-saint-margarets-road-finglas-dublin-11/3821272

Welcome to Dublin

or option B

just keep complaining

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The same as what happens in every other European country….. The only unique thing about the Irish housing crisis is that people have this dumb idea that taking on huge amounts of debt to put a roof over their heads is a smart idea.

No being able to buy a house does not mean you can’t save for retirement. And in terms of investing property produces a low return at a high risk so there is no disadvantage there either….

And as an EU citizen you have retirement options too.

Advertisement