Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You have been asked multiple times now to back up your claim that 'MLMD directed vitriol at MC', you haven't done that.

Then you asserted that she apologised for 'what she did'...that also turns out to be a bogus claim.

I hope MC hasn't retained your services.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Evidence of both were provided.

Or do I need to post the dictionary definition again?

Was there defamation?

MLMD apologised for SF not having the proper proceedures in place.

You still have not provided a single word that proves your claim that 'MLMD directed vitriol at MC'.

basis and if your suppositions are yes she was defamed

If MC said 'she directed vitriol towards her' as you claimed and agreed with, and it doesn't exist then she defamed her.

I am not saying that is the basis of her case btw...you did.

• Advertisement

Choose your words, I said that she directed vitriol at her in the past and posted video of that happening (the presenter goes as far to say she was demonising Mairia Cahill which I would class as worse than vitiriol and calls her a liar), so it has happened (you can swap vitriol for criticism if you wish as per the dictionary definition).

Mairia Cahill questioned people sharing a stage with MLMD for her past actions against Mairia Cahill and you are saying that's defamation.

How is it defamation?

And just for evidence in printed form, MLMD quoted:

"She has accused us of covering up abuse"

"she has asserted that we have refused to cooperate with the police"

"She has made assertions against Sinn Fein that are untrue"

None of the Sinn Fein members would cooperate with the police, that is factual, that is covering up abuse, that is calling Mairia Cahill a liar.

There are also recordings of the internal procedures that they refused to cooperate with the police over.

That vitriol was directed at Mairia Cahill is proven.

You can argue the degree, but it happened.

MLMD quoted again:

Sinn Fein is not involved in any cover up of child abuse

Apart from Gerry Adams brother.

Apart from cooperating with what happened to Mairia Cahill.

MLMD quoted later apologising for this behaviour:

I reiterated my unreserved apology and deep regret that procedures for the mandatory reporting of abuse allegations were not in place at the time of Mairia’s disclosure

What sort of sh*tty person stands over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Maybe set some kind of legal mechanism in place to decide?

So finally you admit that MLMD did not apologise for 'what she did.

Strenuous denial of an allegation is not vitriol Astro...how many times?

MC herself wouldn't go to the police.

Now I am not getting drawn into discussing MC's case but suffice to say it is a case of claim and counter claim with very little proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We know you don’t believe the victim, no need to go over it.

As I said I am not getting drawn into her case. It is immaterial what I believe or you for that matter. This case concerns the aftermath.

• Advertisement

MLMD apologised for what she and SF did, MLMD could not have made that clearer (and apologised again later). MLMD called Mairia Cahill a liar, then apologised later for calling her a liar.

This is bizarre, it's all linked and quoted and could not be more clear or unequivicol.

I guess now you don't support the defamation claim as I've proven that MLMD criticised Mairia Cahill by calling her a liar.

SF wouldn't help the police with their inquiry.

This is what I had said from the beginning, if this turns out to be what the defamation suit is about, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny and is clearly being pursued as a SLAPP. If it turns out to be something else, I'll happily apologise.

Absolutely disgusting behavior from you on this.

You can argue whatever way you want but MLMD disagrees with you and has already admitted their failings on dealing with this, making Mairia's Morning Ireland comments entirely justified.

You said from the that 'MLMD directed vitriol at MC' and that MLMD apologised for 'what she did'.

MLMD was not responsible for having the proper proceedures in place, so 'she' did nothing wrong. Not having proceedures in place affected almost every org on the island.

You STILL have not shown any 'vitriol directed at MC by MLMD'. Criticism and responding to allegations is not vitriol. MC was, like yourself, making allegations without the slightest backup...which is why it is a case of unproven claim and counter claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Post edited by Donald Trump on

Post edited by Donald Trump on

Doesn't seem to have affected SF at the polls, massive 4 point jump in the latest poll. Maybe the electorate think she is justified and are also sick of the insinuation and allegation?

Perhaps the abusive suppression of the press is helping. It stops them asking the uncomfortable questions!

This case by your guys own admission is not about 'asking questions Donald, it's about 'making claims' about somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Doesn’t entertain or believe victim because it paints SF in a bad light. If this was any other party, well.

Hi Francie. the purpose of a SLAPP type actions and behaviours, as you well know, can be to prevent publication of other material in the future. The example was already given of Jimmy Savile who made sure to get himself a litigious reputation so that the papers would not print other allegations against him in the future.

Given that nobody can point out the defamation (and defamation being defined roughly as that which would lower the person in the eyes of reasonable members of society) then there obviously isn't a a strong case for defamation here. If you can point to it, please do so, but you have been asked many times and failed to do so. For example, in the Albert Reynolds case which he took to the UK courts, he had been called a "gombeen man". It is strange that you think that someone's standing has been reduced, yet you cannot figure out what it is that could be, even that possibly could be considered at a stretch, that reduced that standing.

My prediction is that the case will be withdrawn on the steps. Not settled but withdrawn. No doubt the Shinnerbots will still come out somehow to twist it into a vindication while insisting that we cannot talk about it because it was not tried in court yada yada. But it will have served its purpose by then. The process will take a while, and during that time RTE will be silenced on the issue. They cannot talk about it, or else it will give her an excuse to say they prejudiced the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

• Advertisement

I pointed out where the defamation may be in Astro's supposing about the case Donald.

Just because you don't want to see it, doesn't mean it isn't there.

Again Donald...if Astro's supposing is right, RTE were NOT talking about the issue, RTE allowed somebody to make a claim which MLMD rejects and wants redress for.

By all means ask questions, and they were asked many times of MLMD and she roundly rejected them and MC has never been able to prove what she was alleging about MLMD.

If you think press freedoms stretch to allowing unproven allegations to be made, I would say be careful what you wish for. That way lies the shambles of a media that is redtop land in the UK and who wants that?

You're back to the Jimmy Savile defence there Francie. It was not proven that Jimmy was a serial abuser. So it could not be published and you support that.

And you are also against the publication of any investigative journalism full stop. Allegations are only proven in court.

As I gave you reference above, in the Leech case, the judge in the High Court hearing did say that the public interest was an important factor in general (albeit not strongly relevant in that case).

And to highlight once again, you have a problem with an RTE program, the recording of which is still available, and you cannot identify the defamation in it. Yet you still have a problem with it.

If I claimed that the previous poster to quote me - banquo - had defamed me in his post, would you agree with me? I mean you can see the post for yourself? Would you blindly back me up for being defamed? Would you support me taking an action against boards.ie to try to have the site shut down on the back of the defamation in that post? Perhaps I have something else about to be exposed that I know will be discussed on here and I want it shut down before then. And me having the resources to throw a few million at it being a billionaire ex president and all.

I am certainly not against investigative journalism, you have zero right to make that claim...zero.

A free press is NOT free to make unproven allegations Donald, it is such a simple premise in a democracy I don't understand why you won't accept it.

The right to redress for individuals balances the right to a free press. IF you infringe a person's right to their good name then you must be answerable for it.

Now now Francie. You are talking out of both sides of your mouth at once. You claim to support investigative journalism, but you are against reporting unproven allegations.

Let's think of the most recent high profile Prime Time Investigates where they made allegations against Catriona Carey. Obviously Ms. Carey had not been convicted of anything. Therefore you obviously disagree with them publishing those unproven allegations. Perhaps Ms. Carey should have built up more of a history of filing defamation claims and prevented the program being aired (which alerted a lot of people who were dealing of her yet unaware of the allegations).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

If only all your posts were so eloquent.

And whatever MLMD is doing, she’s doing it right. 36% and rising. The higher they go, the less the need for FF as a junior party in a coalition.

Well at least you would have been able to understand that one. Baby steps, but progress nonetheless.

How are you getting on with the concept that if someone accuses you of defamation, they actually have to prove it rather than the burden being on the other party to disprove a negative? Maybe give it a bit of time.

Jesus Donald, I know somebody affected by that and watched the programme.

Prime Time presented extensive evidence to 'back-up' the claims they were making.

That is responsible investigative journalism, they presented the evidence and they actually asked questions and made no claims of criminality.

In this case they just allowed somebody (if Astro's supposition is to be believed) make unbacked up claims of wrongdoing which are being contested by the person they were made against.

That is a freedom that Miss Carey has too and which I fully support, she can look for redress and that is right and proper and democratic.

Stop it Francie. Be consistent. Nothing was proven against Ms. Carey. They were all - in your words - "unproven allegations". RTE talked to people who claimed that they were scammed. In another case, RTE talked to someone who claimed she was raped by members of an organisation and later taken to a kangaroo trial in a basement and had to give evidence in front of her attacker.

You are either against the press being able to publish unproven allegations or you aren't. As I am sure are aware, many allegation can never be proven. So lets sweep 'em all under the carpet - right?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

So much for the public backlash some said Mary Lou and SF would get over this. More support for her and the party as per Sunday Times poll today

• Advertisement

Donald, they produced the evidence for the allegations being made, didn't you see the paperwork, the testimony from those affected?

And AGAIN, I fully support Miss Carey if she has evidence to counter the claims and wants resdress.

If RTE get it wrong then the 'wronged' has a right to redress, such as in this case:

I support the right to redress, whomsoever it might be and that should never be taken as support for the person. That is a different thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement